Grey chick with yellow head marking?

tocaro

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 18, 2014
These are my chicks from McMurray that turned 5 days old today. I'm trying to ID the large chick in the middle standing on top of the snack tray. The lighting isn't very good, but it's a very light mousy grey color with 2 white stripes, a darker grey between the stripes, and yellow on it's head and belly. It's legs have a slight grayish tint to them too. No red/orange tone at all, just a red light in the opposite corner that is giving everything a warm tone in the picture.

Based on the large size of this one and the head count of chicks I ordered, I was thinking it could be one of my Pioneers/Dixie Rainbows, though I can't seem to find a picture of a Pioneer chick this color anywhere. I still haven't ID'd my free rare chick since I believe it's the extra chipmunk colored one (and of course I have multiple chipmunk-looking breeds), so if this isn't a Pioneer, then what is it?

That head spot means the chick will have barring, Probably indeed a dixie rainbow. They come in many mixed colors which include crele type barring.

That head spot means the chick will have barring, Probably indeed a dixie rainbow. They come in many mixed colors which include crele type barring.
That would make sense, but the grey legs are throwing me off since everything I find says they should be yellow. This chick is the largest chick by far-- over twice the size of my feisty little black star runt!

All my EEs are accounted for, and my free "rare breed" chick blends in nearly perfectly with my other smaller yellow-legged chipmunks, so unless I'm mistakenly IDing my chicks (highly probable), this should be a Pioneer. I'm going to try to take better pictures when I clean the cage today and have to handle the little guys anyway.

Back
Top Bottom