Large Breed of Guinea Fowl??

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
I only have peacocks....have decided I should get a few guinea fowl. Hawks are a problem as are raccoons, fox, etc; here about 30 miles north of San Antonio in the Texas Hill Country so I've heard there is a breed of guinea fowl that are larger in size. Can you please educate me some. Also wondering how they get along with peafowl. Thanks for all help and suggestions. OH!! how long before they are full size and can be released?

Jumbo and French Guinea Fowl are larger varieties (they still aren't a really large fowl tho, they are only bigger by 2-3 lbs and only available in Pearl grey color). They can be released at 12 weeks of age just like normal sized Guineas.(6 weeks in a brooder set up, then 6 weeks in their new coop/pen set up is what's recommended). Hawks and foxes both have no problem packing off keets, even at 8 wks old. Typically Guineas don't grow a brain (natural survival and predator awareness instincts) until they are about 12 wks old tho, lol.

I have 4 Peas that are integrated with a flock of Guineas, and they get along fine, but early on while penned the young Guineas became obsessed with my Peacock's train, so you may want to keep an eye out for that. And I do have one older Peahen that gets really annoyed at the high energy Guineas and will gripe at them/scold them and try to peck them, but they dodge her, which irritates her even more, lol. I have yet to see any real aggression between the Guineas and Peas that would make me separate them tho. Even the cocky male Guineas steer clear of the towering Peas. I think my older Peahen has put the fear of Pea in all of them!

Thanks. I guess I wonder why rock the boat getting anything other then my peafowl. Have to many of them now and chicks hatching like crazy. Need to start getting them sold or I'm going to be in deep trouble, LOL!!!

Hello Hill Country neighbor- I am new here and on the forum as I am starting with some Guineas at our weekend ranch not far from you - I am over west of Johnson City on the Perdenales River. (My first post is under "New Texas Guinea Rancher needs advisory") I have not taken over the brids yet and I am building a quick coop for moving them into these next weekends - 25 five-month old Males.

I have many questions on safety now and am wavering a bit because of not being on the property 24/7. I outlined my concerns in my first post and recieved good and true feedback... sooo, I am a bit spooked on them acclimating, roosting in trees and predators, etc.

As of today I am going ahead but with trepidation. I understand my challenges and I thought that you being in the same area - your knowledge of predators and such -- would be informative. These birds are currently living north of Houston and the seller needs to move some males along.

That said, I am not willing to be the WORST option for the birds, but then again, the seller may just eat them if he doesn't move them along.

Would love some input on your experience with predators, cooping or just general advice based on you Guinea experience in the hill country.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom