New chicken bullying old flock

kimanndurr

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2022
Hi all,

We recently added 4 adult chickens to our existing flock of 5- we had them in a fenced off part of the yard for 3 weeks, and have let them mingle in the 1/4 acre yard the last week. The two flocks are mostly just ignoring one another, but one of the new hens (a blue laced Wyandotte) has drawn blood on two of our existing flock members.

I would love to integrate them more by putting them in the coop at night, but honestly I am afraid to subject our flock to her wrath. She is a mean girl- even pecking at us!

Would it be helpful to separate her and integrate the other 3?

Thanks so much for your help!

I would not lock them in the coop together at night until they prove they can get along.

Trying those three without the problem hen could be worth a try. Sometimes isolation to change their position in the pecking order works out. Sometimes not.

You read on here a lot as to you should not put up with a bad rooster because there are a lot of good ones out there. I feel the same way about hens. There is no reason to put up with a bad one. I'd try separating her for a few days and see if that does alter her behavior. It sometimes does. But solve for the peace of the flock. You and they will be much happier for it.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. We definitely don’t want to put our flock in danger, and I agree that a mean hen isn’t really worth it. However, we took these ladies as a favor to a family member who could no longer care for them and she would be heart broken if we got rid of her. It’s a tough spot!

We’ll try integrating the other three, and just take some more time with Georgia separated. If she still can’t get along, we’ll have some tough decisions to make.

Ps, she pecked me again this morning, almost breaking skin! We have had a lot of chickens and while most don’t love being picked up, I’ve never had one this aggressive!

My flock of 5 hens was terrified of a hen I rescued a couple years ago. She came in like a wrecking ball but fits in perfectly now
I’m so glad your rescue eventually found her place in your flock. A glimmer of hope!

We’ll just take things really slow and hopefully she improves.

I would treat the hen like an aggressive roo, if she attacks, peck her back with your fingers and gently but firmly hold her down. It may take a bit, but she should eventually get the idea that you are above her in the pecking order. I had an issue with a mildly aggressive hen biting me and it worked for me. For the aggression towards other chickens what others suggested might work, if it doesn't, either rehome her to someone with a more assertive flock, or cull her

Hi all,

We recently added 4 adult chickens to our existing flock of 5- we had them in a fenced off part of the yard for 3 weeks, and have let them mingle in the 1/4 acre yard the last week. The two flocks are mostly just ignoring one another, but one of the new hens (a blue laced Wyandotte) has drawn blood on two of our existing flock members.

I would love to integrate them more by putting them in the coop at night, but honestly I am afraid to subject our flock to her wrath. She is a mean girl- even pecking at us!

Would it be helpful to separate her and integrate the other 3?

Thanks so much for your help!
As long as they have separate roosting areas you should be able to free range them together. I have a young hen half the size of my original hens but this doesn't top her bullying them .I've been moving her around so she won't rise in rank. She is a jerk thru and thru

Last edited:
Keep her separate for a week and get her some pinless peepers before letting her join the flock again.
This way your hens will no longer be attacked by her, nor will you, and no heartbreak caused to the family member.

I would treat the hen like an aggressive roo, if she attacks, peck her back with your fingers and gently but firmly hold her down. It may take a bit, but she should eventually get the idea that you are above her in the pecking order. I had an issue with a mildly aggressive hen biting me and it worked for me. For the aggression towards other chickens what others suggested might work, if it doesn't, either rehome her to someone with a more assertive flock, or cull her
I was wondering if this would work! I will definitely try this. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom