Rabbit Banding Castration

ali12gap

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 8, 2012
Hi Friends! Newbie farmer here. I have an english lop that got nipped in the testicle by my other buck. They have lived in harmony in a colony for well over a year and am not sure what caused the attack. The testicle became infected and very large. Since the infection was localized I assumed I could go to a vet and just get a round of antibiotics to take care of it. She recommended surgical castration and quoted me $400. Seems so outrageous to me so after a lot of research I decided banding the one testicle would be our best option to save the rabbit and our bank account at the same time. We banded his one testicle with zero problems. The testicle started turning dark dusky as expected by the afternoon. Now we are on day 3 the skin and tissue is sloughing off and looking rotted. No smell and band site looks fine. I had assumed it would start drying up by day 3 and still not look so juicy. We definitely got it tight enough so that is not a concern. Is this normal is there anything I should do at this point or just continue the process of letting it fall off?

They have lived in harmony in a colony for well over a year and am not sure what caused the attack.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Well, I lived fine with my siblings, housemates, etc... most the time, until we disagree. Then we would have knock down drag out fights.

So many things add to it... hormones, confinement, mating competition, weather, etc...

I recently adopted 2 unfixed buns... quoted the same price as your for fixing! :eek: Considered banding the male, but kept searching options since these were adopted as pets and not as livestock. It just didn't feel right for me, but I respect that sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. We all do our best!

To me, bucks kept together eventually fighting is to be expected, even if it takes a bit past maturity... especially if kept with females. Is your colony mixed gender? How large is it in numbers and space? I'm fairly new to rabbits, despite raising many other species. As far as I can tell, I agree with you that you might should be seeing more progress by now. What resource did you use for banding instructions, or can you share your resources for me to review and learn also?

Have you seen this link already..
http://wooliecreations.net/articles/neuter-your-male-rabbit-made-easy/
This link regarding goats (regardless of their opinion) says it can take 10-14 days for full results, just for reference. I know they're different species, but thought some cross referencing makes sense ..
https://fiascofarm.com/goats/buck-wether-info.htm

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make the best suggest possible at a glance. ;)

There are some low cost spay/neuter clinics in many locations, some listed on the house rabbit society site. I couldn't find anything local, but contacted my local Humane Society who had Pub.vet coming who does low cost clinics to help reduce pet overpopulation... and they did spay/neuter for $60!

Hope your guy recovers quickly! :fl

Thanks everyone! The band was put on correct and the testicle is contained in the scrotum. I did read those articles listed above before we did it and they were super helpful! The only thing I wish that I could find on the internet was a day-by-day progression of what it should look like. There's lots of information about how to do it and what to expect but not a lot of pictures that go along that correspond with the visual progression.

Thanks everyone! The band was put on correct and the testicle is contained in the scrotum. I did read those articles listed above before we did it and they were super helpful! The only thing I wish that I could find on the internet was a day-by-day progression of what it should look like. There's lots of information about how to do it and what to expect but not a lot of pictures that go along that correspond with the visual progression.
You should be documenting yours and write an article about your experience with it... to help others! ;)

:pop

That $400 quote to castrate a rabbit is outrageous. If I were you, and this advice is worth every penny you are paying for it, is to put the rabbit on antibiotics, clean up the wound and remove all dead tissue if it seems infected. If there is no smell and the rabbit looks and acts OK it is probably fine and the testicle will slough off in due time. As to why your bunny got attacked, who knows? Bunnylady said it best. She said that rabbits get along just fine together until they don't and then it can get pretty bloody.

No. But the bands are not species specific. They can be used on anything you can get the band around.

Ive used an elastrator on bull calves. A band sized for a bull calf would be way to large and would be impossible to stretch open without a pliers.

What did you use? A link.

Back
Top Bottom