Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

:old :lau Sounds like something I might say on a bad day. I am not a big fan of cell phones.

I resisted getting a cell phone until just a couple of years ago. My (non-local) bank required my deposits via their phone app instead of scanning them in on my computer and submitting them which I had done for many years.

In all honesty, using the phone app is easier, and, as it turns out, it is cheaper for me and Dear Wife each to have a cell phone than what we paid for the old landline phone that had no other advantages.

But I hate seeing all these young people going to a party, sitting on a couch, and texting to others instead of engaging real live people at the gathering.

And I don't enjoy going out to eat at a restaurant where some people spend more time on their phone sharing their conversation with me and everyone else in the room because they have to shout into their phone, instead of paying attention to their date, spouse, or whoever else they have at their table.

:idunno Maybe that's why I enjoy making pallet projects with my own hands. Even if it is not a perfect project, I know I did it myself and can take some pride in my work. Well, that, and most of my working life I had desk jobs moving paper with nothing else to show for my labor. There is some therapeutic value in working with your hands and creating something of lasting value. Even if it is just a hobby project.
I used to take my youngest to social classes at our local autism resource group. It always amazed me to watch the other moms avoiding eye contact and burying themselves in their phones. Once upon a time the moms would have chatted together, arranged play dates and learned from shared experiences. I did find one woman there willing to socialize and chat. She was the grandmother and a lovely lady.

:tongue Well, the weather has turned on me once again with snow flurries the past couple of days. Not much snow, but cold and blowing with temps in the 20F's. And since I am complaining, I have to mention that I got a flat tire on the front of my lawn mower that I was using to tow my cart with my pallet wood workstation around the yard working on projects.

1713681136673.jpeg

I only had that one lawn mower up and running at present. We still get temps well below freezing at night. But I might have to get the other mowers in service sooner than I had planned.

I stopped into our local Fleet store where I bought the lawn mower and asked how long it would take to get the wheel remounted with a new valve. Turns out they have a labor problem, and nobody left in the shop that can do tires. They said it would take two weeks minimum before they would be able to fix it! That's just amazing as it should be a 15-minute job for the shop.

So, I ended up buying a bottle of tire Slime to give it a try...

1713681967575.png

I used half the bottle on my tire, remounted the wheel back on to my lawn mower, and drove it around the yard until dark. Thought it held air pretty good, but not certain. Next morning, the tire was flat again. :hit

I don't know if Slime is any good or not when used property, but I later read the very, very fine print on the bottle and it states that it is only good for thread punctures - not for the broken bead on the rim and the valve stem leakage I had.

I still have half a bottle left, so I plan on saving that in case I ever get a thread puncture in one of my pneumatic tires on my other carts or wagons.

:plbb Well, I have been replacing most of my pneumatic tires with flat-free tires when the pneumatic tires fail. I am so done trying to keep my pneumatic tires in service and paying money every year or two to "fix" them. I don't get tire punctures, like from a nail or screw, on my stuff. But what happens is that the freezing cold in the winter breaks the bead of the tires on the rims and causes them to go flat.

I am considering buying some flat-free tires for that lawn mower, but that would cost me another $80.00. I just paid $80.00 for a set of 4 flat-free tires for my Gorilla wire mesh cart. So, I'm not in a hurry to spend another $80.00. The shop will fix the lawn mower tire for $15.00 if I can wait 2 weeks. That's about how long it would take to order and get these flat-free tires from Amazon...

1713683335307.png

:clap To leave off on a positive note, I decided to build some more 2X4 foot raised beds to put alongside my chicken run fencing to grow those pole beans I was talking about a few days ago. I got a few pallets broken down today, got all the wood cut for the project, and put together the major framing this afternoon. Should be able to finish the first 2X4 raised bed off tomorrow.

Good thing my carts have those convertible handles because I was pulling my carts full of wood around the yard today! Not too bad for me. Four wheels are good! Pulled that cart right past my lawn mower with the flat tire, shaking my head the whole time. :rant

:tongue Well, the weather has turned on me once again with snow flurries the past couple of days. Not much snow, but cold and blowing with temps in the 20F's. And since I am complaining, I have to mention that I got a flat tire on the front of my lawn mower that I was using to tow my cart with my pallet wood workstation around the yard working on projects.

View attachment 3807314

I only had that one lawn mower up and running at present. We still get temps well below freezing at night. But I might have to get the other mowers in service sooner than I had planned.

I stopped into our local Fleet store where I bought the lawn mower and asked how long it would take to get the wheel remounted with a new valve. Turns out they have a labor problem, and nobody left in the shop that can do tires. They said it would take two weeks minimum before they would be able to fix it! That's just amazing as it should be a 15-minute job for the shop.

So, I ended up buying a bottle of tire Slime to give it a try...

View attachment 3807316

I used half the bottle on my tire, remounted the wheel back on to my lawn mower, and drove it around the yard until dark. Thought it held air pretty good, but not certain. Next morning, the tire was flat again. :hit

I don't know if Slime is any good or not when used property, but I later read the very, very fine print on the bottle and it states that it is only good for thread punctures - not for the broken bead on the rim and the valve stem leakage I had.

I still have half a bottle left, so I plan on saving that in case I ever get a thread puncture in one of my pneumatic tires on my other carts or wagons.

:plbb Well, I have been replacing most of my pneumatic tires with flat-free tires when the pneumatic tires fail. I am so done trying to keep my pneumatic tires in service and paying money every year or two to "fix" them. I don't get tire punctures, like from a nail or screw, on my stuff. But what happens is that the freezing cold in the winter breaks the bead of the tires on the rims and causes them to go flat.

I am considering buying some flat-free tires for that lawn mower, but that would cost me another $80.00. I just paid $80.00 for a set of 4 flat-free tires for my Gorilla wire mesh cart. So, I'm not in a hurry to spend another $80.00. The shop will fix the lawn mower tire for $15.00 if I can wait 2 weeks. That's about how long it would take to order and get these flat-free tires from Amazon...

View attachment 3807317

:clap To leave off on a positive note, I decided to build some more 2X4 foot raised beds to put alongside my chicken run fencing to grow those pole beans I was talking about a few days ago. I got a few pallets broken down today, got all the wood cut for the project, and put together the major framing this afternoon. Should be able to finish the first 2X4 raised bed off tomorrow.

Good thing my carts have those convertible handles because I was pulling my carts full of wood around the yard today! Not too bad for me. Four wheels are good! Pulled that cart right past my lawn mower with the flat tire, shaking my head the whole time. :rant
I tried slime on a punctured bicycle tire with the same results. Worked great for one day and flat the next. If you spin the tire for a bit and refill with air you can get another days use out of it. I think the slime blocks the hole from the inside but runs to the bottom of the tire and opens the hole back up when the tire stands still overnight. Think it's only good for an emergency to get you home and won't permanently fix anything.

Example of cost of pallets in my area 😞

That's too bad. There are some places where I live that try to sell pallets, but there enough free pickup locations that I have never had to buy a pallet.

:idunno Frankly, I don't know if I would be as enthusiastic about pallet wood projects if I had to pay for the pallet wood. It's a lot of work to get that "free" pallet wood. It takes time to tear apart a pallet and cut the wood to the size you need. And, not all the pallet wood is the same size and most likely non-standard lumber was used. But I still enjoy taking something like pallets that was headed for the landfill and making useful stuff out of it.

I think the slime blocks the hole from the inside but runs to the bottom of the tire and opens the hole back up when the tire stands still overnight. Think it's only good for an emergency to get you home and won't permanently fix anything.

:tongue Well, the bottle says that the slime repair will last up to 2 years. I was hoping for one season. I only got one night and the tire was flat the next morning.

To be fair, Slime does have in the fine print that it is only good for thread punctures, and not sidewall leaks. My broken bead on the rim and the valve stem leak are not on the threads.

:idunno I filled my flat tire up with air early this afternoon and used it until dark tonight. It might be flat again tomorrow, but as long as I can get a full day of work out of it, I guess I can wait another week or so and get the tire properly fixed then. Also, I have started recharging my other lawn mower batteries and will probably just put those riding mowers into service later this week.

The sacrificial plywood has been cut and attached to the floor of the coop:
View attachment 3807889
View attachment 3807890
The plywood is technically part of a pallet because it was used to keep the metal straps going over the whole pallet from cutting into the product on top of the pallet.

That's looking really nice. You must have had some nice plywood pieces to make that sacrificial floor covering.

Because I use the dry deep bedding system, I think if I had to do my coop floor all over again, I would just put down my free plywood pieces I salvaged from my pallets. I don't think I would bother buying either linoleum or sealing the floor with stuff like Black Jack #57. I would just replace the sacrificial boards if/when needed.

When I built my coop 4 years ago, I had no idea what to do with the flooring and just considered my options at that time. But now I have lots and lots of free pallet wood and plywood pieces from pallets. I have more options now than when I built the coop. Today, I am pretty sure I would just save the money on buying linoleum or sealer and just use sacrificial "free" wood.

Back
Top Bottom