Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
That was fun looking through the thread!!!

I hope more people jump on the thread and continue to post pictures of their pallet projects. I really enjoy looking at the builds.

We built our coop outta pallets, and hope to build a few more animal housing units out of them as well!

:clapVery nice job on the pallet coop. Any info on how many pallets it took and how long it took you to build your pallet coop? Looks like you used complete pallets, which is something a number of people want to do. Breaking down pallets takes a lot of time and effort, and I know some people prefer to use the pallets without breaking them down.

I hope more people jump on the thread and continue to post pictures of their pallet projects. I really enjoy looking at the builds.

:clapVery nice job on the pallet coop. Any info on how many pallets it took and how long it took you to build your pallet coop? Looks like you used complete pallets, which is something a number of people want to do. Breaking down pallets takes a lot of time and effort, and I know some people prefer to use the pallets without breaking them down.
Thanks! I got the idea from Rural King and some of thier displays they set up, they use whole pallets screwed together.....

Anyway, the first half took us awhile, we finished the second half in pretty much a day...

We have 1 8x4 and 2 42x40 pallets as the floor, they are elevated on 2ft 4x4 posts.
There are 4 pallets turned sideways for walls and 1 pallet turned sideways as an inside divider.

Plywood on the interior to cover to take care of all the gaps,
Plywood on the roof...

Here's (if I did it right) the link to my build of the addition...we just added on making it 8x8 instead of 4x8 last wk!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/just-told-hubby-we-need-to-build-a-bigger-coop.1540014/

Here are my pallet creations:

Nesting box/roost

20220530_173419_HDR.jpg

Top layer, for roosting, but some of the chickens lay up there too.
IMG-20220305-WA0130.jpeg

Bottom box for laying and being broody
1656774619210.jpeg

Roost ladder
the chickens who can't fly so well use the ladder to roost.
IMG-20211231-WA0033.jpeg

Top layer, for roosting, but some of the chickens lay up there too.

So, do you treat the top layer as a poop board under the roosting bar? Looks pretty clean in this picture. I bet you must clean it out frequently.

:thumbsup Great job on the pallet nesting box and roost ladder. Excellent use of pallets.

UPDATE on my planter(s) build for Dear Wife.

1659717220549.jpeg

As I said in an earlier post, my first attempt was the middle 24X24 inch planter, which was deemed too big. My second attempt, on the left, was the 16X16 inch planter, that was judged too small. My third attempt, on the right, is a 12X24 planter and I surely hope it hits the Goldilocks' zone and is just right for Dear Wife! I'll find out when she gets home from work today. Wish me luck! :fl

Let me add, that I have learned something on every one of these pallet builds. Nothing like experience to improve your production. My last planter was more square from the start, required less custom cuts to finish the fit, and it went together much faster because I am learning how to cut the boards more efficiently.

Although I am very happy with this planter design, I think I will be trying out a few other designs I have seen on YouTube. One of my ideas is having the planks mounted on the inside of the 2X4 frame. Since a 2X4 is 3 1/2 inches wide, that would give me about 7 inches of play when mounting the planks on the inside. That would mean I doubt if I would ever have to custom cut or taper that final board for the sides. I would just take up any difference(s) with the overlap on the inside 2X4.

Something like this google picture...

1659718160159.png

UPDATE on my planter(s) build for Dear Wife.

View attachment 3212252

As I said in an earlier post, my first attempt was the middle 24X24 inch planter, which was deemed too big. My second attempt, on the left, was the 16X16 inch planter, that was judged too small. My third attempt, on the right, is a 12X24 planter and I surely hope it hits the Goldilocks' zone and is just right for Dear Wife! I'll find out when she gets home from work today. Wish me luck! :fl

Let me add, that I have learned something on every one of these pallet builds. Nothing like experience to improve your production. My last planter was more square from the start, required less custom cuts to finish the fit, and it went together much faster because I am learning how to cut the boards more efficiently.

Although I am very happy with this planter design, I think I will be trying out a few other designs I have seen on YouTube. One of my ideas is having the planks mounted on the inside of the 2X4 frame. Since a 2X4 is 3 1/2 inches wide, that would give me about 7 inches of play when mounting the planks on the inside. That would mean I doubt if I would ever have to custom cut or taper that final board for the sides. I would just take up any difference(s) with the overlap on the inside 2X4.

Something like this google picture...

View attachment 3212261
These look amazing!

So, do you treat the top layer as a poop board under the roosting bar? Looks pretty clean in this picture. I bet you must clean it out frequently.
Yeah. I turn and move it around it daily and clean it out every week or 2
:thumbsup Great job on the pallet nesting box and roost ladder. Excellent use of pallets.

I was lucky to get a couple of pallets that were 6 1/2 feet long. So, I built a pallet workbench for the garage. It's not a finely crafted workbench for precise woodcraft, but it's what I wanted to slap together some wood or bang a few nails into something or other. It's great for those projects that you don't want to mess up your good woodworking bench.

1659740623087.jpeg

OK. Please ignore the mess on the workbench, but I've been busy using it today. I want to point out that added some wheels on the bottom to move it around the garage. That way, I can work on projects as much as I want and then stow it away when done so we can get the car back into the garage for the night.

I bought a small dolly from Harbor Freight for $10 on sale and just used the wheels from the dolly on the pallet workbench. The dolly was rated for 1,000 pounds, and it was cheaper for me to take off those wheels than buying individual wheels for about $5 each for ~250 pound rating. Save money where you can.

1659742192431.png

The wheels are small, but it works OK in the garage on a concrete floor. Larger wheels would be better, of course, but you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom