Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

But the life I am starting is a life I've dreamed abt for yrs..since I was in my 20s....

I hope your dreams come true. Too many of us work for others most of our lives and realize much later that we should have been living for our dreams.

Who knows, i may end up with a pet pig, šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
but I highly doubt it...

I have never raised pigs, but someday I still say I would like to try it. I don't know about keeping a pig beyond a certain time. I watched a YouTube video where a guy raised a pig and kept it until it got really big. Anyways, one day he turned his back on the hog and it attacked him. Almost lost his leg. Had to be rushed to the emergency room and spent months in recovery. Wife had to get the pig butchered on her own. Sad story, all the more so because they had raised the pig from a piglet.

...this life isn't for everyone. My other 3 are just fine and excited abt the process. We homeschool, and this is a great opportunity to teach.

I think your kids are lucky. Someday they will grow up and be thankful for what you taught them, if they are not thankful already. Sounds like your children really help out with your homestead and enjoy the life. That is great.

We are planning goats as well (pets not food, and possible milk)

Start looking at some pallet wood goat milking stands. Bet you could find some good ideas.

1662898510723.png

1662898537448.png

1662898626864.png

Last edited:
I hope your dreams come true. Too many of us work for others most of our lives and realize much later that we should have been living for our dreams.
Thanks!!! I am only 35 and still husband and I will maintain full time jobs! Animals are expensive lol (even with a frugal mindset..then again i think EVERYTHING is expensive lol)...explains why I was so stressed when I lost my $100 bill (Doc) in the woods yesterday bahahaha
I have never raised pigs, but someday I still say I would like to try it. I don't know about keeping a pig beyond a certain time. I watched a YouTube video where a guy raised a pig and kept it until it got really big. Anyways, one day he turned his back on the hog and it attacked him. Almost lost his leg. Had to be rushed to the emergency room and spent months in recovery. Wife had to get the pig butchered on her own. Sad story, all the more so because they had raised the pig from a piglet.
Yeah, I've read stories like that. Another reason why the minors aren't allowed in the pen. As much as I hope and pray we have one with good temperment...having a bit of a jerk makes butchering a tad easier... we shall wait and see what he's like lol
I think your kids are lucky. Someday they will grow up and be thankful for what you taught them, if they are not thankful already. Sounds like your children really help out with your homestead and enjoy the life. That is great.
Thanks for that!
Idk that we can call it a homestead lol...my micro homestead maybe bahahahaha (yall I am working with a touch over an acre of land...)
They've all had a hand in it ...and I assume will continue. I think minor 14 will help more with the growing of trees and plants next yr...shes kinda a green thumb!

I wish I'd known about this method [board on board] when I started my coop. Would have saved me so much time

Exactly, I am just trying to pass on different methods that may or may not work for any particular build. This board on board method, I think, would really work great as siding, if you don't need something absolutely waterproof. All I did was fill in the gaps on the base pallet with pallet slats I cut off another pallet. In this case, I just used my brad nail gun to fasten the slats to the pallet. It was really fast. For my purposes, I think the brad nails will be fine, but a person could easily "upgrade" the build by using nails or screws on the slats.

1662932487514.png

As many of you know, I bought into the Ryboi 18 volt One+ tool line many years ago. One of my go to tools is the Ryobi 18V ONE+ AIRSTRIKE 18GA BRAD NAILER. I mainly use it to tack up pieces of wood that I will later nail down or screw in. But it also works great on some glue ups where for some reason you don't want to clamp the pieces together. The brad nails will fasten and hold the wood together just fine while the glue dries.

1662932865262.png

Anyway, this brad nailer uses nails from 1-1/4 inch up to 2 inches. For the board on board method used for the pallets on top, I used the longer 2 inch brad nails and I think I don't need anything stronger for that project.

If you want to save money, then a nail gun like the above will set you back about $140.00 regular price, but I got my nailer on sale along with additional battery packs, so the "cost" of the nailer was actually about half. There is nothing this nailer does that I could not do with regular nails or screws, but, it just saves so much time. If time is money in your world, then these nail guns are worth every penny.

:old At my age, I'm more willing to pay for the convivence of power tools that save me time and labor. My younger self could easily do without.

At my age, I'm more willing to pay for the convivence of power tools that save me time and labor.
I'm willing to pay for tools that allow me to do what I wouldn't be able to otherwise. For the record, they're DH's tools, but I use them too. :)

I'd be very hard pressed to nail stuff together. tap-tap-tap with the hammer. Not a lot of hand/wrist strength. But with the drill and driver to do the hard work, I can put stuff together.

And take it apart and do it over to get it right. :gig

But with the drill and driver to do the hard work, I can put stuff together.

And take it apart and do it over to get it right. :gig

I understand that. I prefer to use screws over nails because a lot of the things I make are temporary and I want to take them apart easily and use the wood in another project. I use my drills and impact drivers more than my hammers.

Back
Top Bottom