Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
So both times I have decided to build a coop the price for wood was sky high so the first one we broke the pallets down, which was a chore but those pallets were free.

Yep, pallet wood may be free, but in most of my projects I have to put in a little extra time and labor on the build - compared to buying new wood. For me, it's totally worth the time and effort to reuse pallets.

The second is a Lowe's 10x13 metal shed and as expensive as they are was cheaper than wood at the time.

Exactly. I never would have imagined that buying a metal shed was less expensive than building a wood shed, but it sure is with the price of lumber today. That is why I have been suggesting people consider a metal shed conversion to chicken coop like you are doing. Not only does it save money over a wood build, but you still have a nice garden shed someday if you no longer have chickens.

Of course, I am really liking the pallet wood chicken coop builds that people are posting. If you have the time and don't mind reclaiming some lumber, then you can really save some money using pallet wood.

They love green beans, tomatoes (not foliage), sweet peas, field peas, collards, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, cantaloupe and probably some I've forgotten. They never nibbled my kale, lettuce, onions, garlic, peppers, or squash. Thankfully I got the netting up before it got too bad.
Deer have eaten/nibbled on: squash plants and squash, carrot greens, bean plants, asparagus, tomato plants and fruit, and green onions last winter. I was really surprised with the onions.

My fence is now 7' tall, and they've stopped jumping in. The fence is 4' tall, and I strung nylon string at 1' intervals up to 7'.
Also by having posts and trellising inside the fence, the deer can't easily see a landing spot. They like some clearing in view before jumping.
My neighbors have bushes around their garden. The deer can't see what's on the other side, so they don't jump in.

DH, bring me a pallet to work with, please. I am getting so many ideas from this thread!

DH, bring me a pallet to work with, please. I am getting so many ideas from this thread!

Yeah, I'm getting more ideas from this thread then I know I have time or energy to build right now. But there may come a day when I will be able to expand my projects, so, I'm reading all these ideas and looking at all the pics to store in memory for that day.

:caf Just wondering where you guys find free pallets where you live? I have been getting lots of pallets from our newly opened Harbor Freight. The pallets vary in quality, but they are always free to take or leave.

I have asked Home Depot if they give away free pallets, but my local HD says they do not. I suppose it's because they sell lumber, so why give any wood away for free?

I know some of you are lucky enough to get pallets from where you work, but I'm interested in places where average Joe Public can pick up pallets for free. If you have any favorite sources for your pallets, please post a response. Thanks.

:caf Just wondering where you guys find free pallets where you live? I have been getting lots of pallets from our newly opened Harbor Freight. The pallets vary in quality, but they are always free to take or leave.

I have asked Home Depot if they give away free pallets, but my local HD says they do not. I suppose it's because they sell lumber, so why give any wood away for free?

I know some of you are lucky enough to get pallets from where you work, but I'm interested in places where average Joe Public can pick up pallets for free. If you have any favorite sources for your pallets, please post a response. Thanks.
Some companies, like home depot, return the pallets to their suppliers.
I found pallets here and there and brought them home as I could. Once I got lucky and a lady on a Facebook group had a bunch in her backyard that she gave me.

Yep, pallet wood may be free, but in most of my projects I have to put in a little extra time and labor on the build - compared to buying new wood. For me, it's totally worth the time and effort to reuse pallets.

Exactly. I never would have imagined that buying a metal shed was less expensive than building a wood shed, but it sure is with the price of lumber today. That is why I have been suggesting people consider a metal shed conversion to chicken coop like you are doing. Not only does it save money over a wood build, but you still have a nice garden shed someday if you no longer have chickens.

Of course, I am really liking the pallet wood chicken coop builds that people are posting. If you have the time and don't mind reclaiming some lumber, then you can really save some money using pallet wood.

the cheapest thing here are sandwich panels. grade B is even cheaper. they are the same quality as grade A. they are just leftovers from cutting the panels. you can always find desired lengths.

:thumbsup Pigs, goats, chickens.... You are really living the dream. I love hearing about your adventures and seeing the pics you share. Thank you.
It's totally my dream!!! I'll try to keep pics coming as we continue on this little journey! We still have the Turkey Tower to build (apparently the name stuck before we even realized it. Tried calling it other things and it never worked so Turkey Tower it is! 🤣)
And I think my husband will let me try my hand at a shed, and I've been researching pallet decks.....
:lau I tried to trick Dear Wife in letting me get some other animals. I asked her, "Honey, would you rather I got a goat or a pig this year?" But she did not fall for the trap...

:tongue "Neither!" :smack
🤣🤣🤣🤣 this is something I would do to my husband 😆 He's been so good abt letting me experience the life I've always been dreaming of, but I still like to see if we can do just one more thing
At least I have a nice backyard flock to enjoy.
Chickens are the best!! I never knew I'd like a bird so much lol!! So happy you get to have your flock!!! I think everyone should have chickens!

Last edited:
I grow 2 types of pole beans and indeterminate tomatoes that I trellis very tall. I also trellis cucumbers and peas. It helps save my back! This old gray mare ain't what she used to be. 🤣 I have damaged disk in my spine so I'd rather stand and pick if I can. Also by having posts and trellising inside the fence, the deer can't easily see a landing spot. They like some clearing in view before jumping. Our garden is not raised beds but planted right in the ground and is about 60' x 75'.
I'd love love love to see a pic of your set up!!!

Some pallet decks I had saved (all internet pics) from looking into them. It's a good possibility sometime down the line!

Attachments

• 268961868_335743291411239_8187572088541409229_n.jpg
    268961868_335743291411239_8187572088541409229_n.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 5
  • diy-floating-pallet-deck-2.jpg
    diy-floating-pallet-deck-2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 4
  • palletwood-patio.jpg
    palletwood-patio.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 5
  • bb64b36c96d0bade62364d69d823c6b3.jpg
    bb64b36c96d0bade62364d69d823c6b3.jpg