Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
If you truly have hours of nails to remove, this tool would knock it down to minutes. If time is money for you, it would not take very long to pay for itself. As for me, I put on a nice radio program, audiobook, or music and spend some quality time hammering out the nails releasing a little tension in the process.
You can ask my husband....my level of patience is that of a newborn baby. Admittedly so, something I need to work on.

I will say, if this was a shed...id have used new wood to cover up the gaps...again...not removing nails but instead buying new wood...🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Tearing pallets down has always turned me off simply bc of the nails. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I have builds in the future I'd love to do that require paler tear down, and with the methods you've shared it'll be much easier to do.
The Turkey Tower is coming along nicely. I like the rustic pallet wood look, myself. Adding the additional boards to fill the gaps makes everything look even more finished. Very nice.
Thank you! I too appreciate the rustic look of the Turkey Tower.
Can't wait to see what you do for the roof!
That's hubby's territory. While I have some ideas. I really can't accomplish it on my own, or even with the minors help. We are planning on sloping it to the right, we know we are using OSB and metal...thats as far as we've gotten 🤣🤣🤣

The roof intimidates me 🤣🤣🤣

This is kinda where I was at. We removed ones (bent nails) that were hindering the application of the boards. Other we left. None have tips so it seems, they are straight, all concealed and not gonna injure the turkeys or the tender.

Exactly. Just make sure the nails are pounded in so nobody, or your animals, get hurt.

I usually remove nails from my boards, because that's my thing. But on my latest build, I have a bunch of pallet planks that had nails cut off in the wood - so only the nail heads remained. I did not bother to punch them out or remove them because they were going to be used in a utility shelf where it would never matter. If you don't have to remove nails for use in your project, then I just leave them (the nail heads) in the wood.

There are lots of pallet projects that specifically want to keep those rusty nail heads in the wood for looks. I'm good with that.

I will say, if this was a shed...id have used new wood to cover up the gaps...again...not removing nails but instead buying new wood...🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

There are defintely advantages to using new wood.

Tearing pallets down has always turned me off simply bc of the nails. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I have builds in the future I'd love to do that require paler tear down, and with the methods you've shared it'll be much easier to do.

Glad to know some of this tips I posted are useful. Breaking down the pallets allows me to build more stuff from the wood, but it does take time to break down the pallets and remove the nails. I enjoy it, but it can be a pain in the butt on some pallets.

That's hubby's territory (the roof). While I have some ideas. I really can't accomplish it on my own, or even with the minors help.

It's important to know your limits. Safety first. Good to know that some of us guys are still useful for things like this!

The roof intimidates me 🤣🤣🤣

Understand. I hope you get a chance to help your husband build your roof. The first roof job might be a little intimidating, but I bet you will feel much better about roofing jobs after you have a little experience.

:lau Who knows? You might take that knowledge on building a roof when you make a future Llama Lounge or Mule Mansion as you expand your livestock.... And, by the way, get the minors involved also with the roofing - if you can. I was up on a roof pounding nails with grandpa when I was about 10 years old. Just make sure everyone is safe and nobody gets hurt.

Who knows? You might take that knowledge on building a roof when you make a future Llama Lounge or Mule Mansion as you expand your livestock....
🤣🤣🤣🤣
I love this!!!
I hope you get a chance to help your husband build your roof. The first roof job might be a little intimidating, but I bet you will feel much better about roofing jobs after you have a little experience.
I will be helping him. He and the minors helped me do the roof on the Pig Palace, he pretty much did the roof on the Hen Hut by himself while I watched and asked if he was OK bahahahaha

I am also super terrified of heights! anything higher than the second rung on a ladder and my heart about beats outta my chest!!! 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

OH OH oh....
One more thing! I got the "ok" from hubby to start thinking abt how I'd like to build us a shed!!!

He is actually impressed with the Turkey Tower. I've told him all the things I would have done differently, and will do differently on the shed build!

1.) Level ground!!
2.) Frame out pallet walls (meaning 8ft long 2x4 running the length of the two pallets and screwing the pallets together horizontally then erecting the "wall" ) This would have made a HUGE difference I believe and am excited to try it out on another build!
3.)We will be filling those gaps with new treates wood.

There is more i am sure, just can't think to list them..but those are the main ones

Well, if you had lots of boards with nails in them that you wanted to remove, then it might be in your interest to invest $54.00 in something like the Air Locker AP700 Heavy Duty Professional Air Punch Nailer. I personally don't use one because I don't have that many boards that need nails removed, and, I guess I have been using a hammer and pliers all my life to do the job.

View attachment 3289192

Here is a good YouTube review and demonstration of the Air Locker AP700 in use. It looks like a great tool to save time, but, like I said, I really don't have that many boards with nails in them that I am willing to invest in that tool at this time. If someone is skill challenged in hammering out nails, and bent nails, then maybe this Air Locker has added value.

If you truly have hours of nails to remove, this tool would knock it down to minutes. If time is money for you, it would not take very long to pay for itself. As for me, I put on a nice radio program, audiobook, or music and spend some quality time hammering out the nails releasing a little tension in the process. Pounding nails out of pallet wood or reclaimed wood is sometimes therapeutic! At least for me.

I wouldn't need it either. out of curiosity I googled this tool and found out they don't sell it here (as well as many other tools you have).

I am also super terrified of heights! anything higher than the second rung on a ladder and my heart about beats outta my chest!!! 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

That's a different issue to deal with. Roofing might not be your forte. Better to get the hubby and minors to do that job. I have a good respect for heights, but don't have any problems up on a roof. Having said that, I'm getting older and don't trust my balance as much as I did even 10 years ago. Probably getting to the end of my roofing work as well.

He is actually impressed with the Turkey Tower. I've told him all the things I would have done differently, and will do differently on the shed build!

The Turkey Tower is looking very nice. He should be impressed. Sounds like you learned some valuable lessons in that build that you can use in future builds. Like I said, I have done lots of conventional builds - garages, sheds, house additions, etc... - but I have never tried to build something with pallets as big as your Turkey Tower.

After my numerous failures on drilling straight and true holes in my modular workbench, I know I still have lots to learn. But, I enjoy that. Still hoping that I will build a pallet shed next spring/summer. So post all your lessons learned with your pallet building projects as you think of them.

I wouldn't need it either. out of curiosity I googled this tool and found out they don't sell it here (as well as many other tools you have).

I can't get some of those tools locally, either. But, we are lucky that Amazon carries lots of things we cannot buy in town. I'm not in any hurry to buy an Air Locker AP700, but if I end up with lots of lumber with nails that need to be removed, I might consider it in the future.

I don't know what you have available in Greece, but at least you get an idea of the type of tool(s) that might be useful for your pallet work. I have lived in Europe a number of times, and I find that there are things there that I cannot get in the US, and vice versa. You would think that since everything is made in China, that we would all have access to the same products. Enjoy the differences, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom