Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
I need a little help...

Late this summer I built some pallet wood modular workbenches for the garage. They work great. I like how I can bolt them together in a number of patterns depending on what I need. Also, they have room for storage underneath. Here is a picture of one of those workbenches....

View attachment 3334514

I am now working on adding shelves, drawers or bins for storage inside these workbenches rather than just a big empty space. I think I could organize and store more things.

It occurred to me that there is a lot of potential wasted space wasted directly under the workbench top. I am thinking that I could put some type of hinges on the workbench top to lift it up and use some pallet wood to make a bottom for the top 2X4 frame. That would make a nice little storage bin for lots of stuff.

View attachment 3334525

I am hoping that someone may have a suggestion for the type of hinge I need to be looking for on this modification. The hinge should not go on top of the workbench at all, as the goal of the workbench top was to have a smooth worksurface without anything to catch on. Because the workbenches bolt together tight and flush, I can't really have a hinge that extends beyond the 2X4 frame. I don't know if you call that a hidden hinge, or what, so I am hoping someone might have a suggestion or two.

Or, if there is another option for opening up the top as needed, I am open to all suggestions. Thanks for any feedback.
If you make a drawer underneath the top you can hinge the top open using concealed hinges and soft lid stays.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-27 6.04.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-27 6.04.01 PM.png
    231.4 KB · Views: 4
If you make a drawer underneath the top you can hinge the top open using concealed hinges and soft lid stays.

Thanks for the picture of the hinge and support. I think that would work great. Do they come in sets and/or what do you call them? I would like to see if my local big box stores have them in stock, but if not, I'll be looking on Amazon. Knowing the hired help at our big box stores, I seriously doubt if their floor help (nobody seems to work at these stores for more than a few weeks anymore) would have a clue what they carry in the store unless I can give them a name of the product so they can look it up on their inventory.

But the picture is a great help in any case. I did not think of that type of hinge, but it's way better than what I had in mind.

Thanks for the picture of the hinge and support. I think that would work great. Do they come in sets and/or what do you call them? I would like to see if my local big box stores have them in stock, but if not, I'll be looking on Amazon. Knowing the hired help at our big box stores, I seriously doubt if their floor help (nobody seems to work at these stores for more than a few weeks anymore) would have a clue what they carry in the store unless I can give them a name of the product so they can look it up on their inventory.

But the picture is a great help in any case. I did not think of that type of hinge, but it's way better than what I had in mind.
Sorry I was away from my computer ! I took a screen shot of some I found online to get a better idea of what you was looking for.I wasn't sure if you could use it. You should be able to find something similar on Amazon ! I'm sure they make other types as well .Theres also a gas filled "stay" but its a little pricey to use on a work bench.Have a blessed evening!

Sorry I was away from my computer ! I took a screen shot of some I found online to get a better idea of what you was looking for.I wasn't sure if you could use it. You should be able to find something similar on Amazon ! I'm sure they make other types as well .Theres also a gas filled "stay" but its a little pricey to use on a work bench.Have a blessed evening!

Yeah, the picture helps a lot. Thanks. And you are right, I don't want to spend a lot of money on the modification, so everything gets factored in.

As far as the gas-filled stay, I'm thinking maybe just a piece of wood on a swivel to prop up the benchtop would be just as good for me. Kind of like a prop bar to hold open a car hood. Cheap, easy, and functional.

Another thought came to mind about a potential hinge. I saved some old inner tube rubber from wheel repairs this past summer. I saw some pictures of people using strips of inner tube rubber to make low cost hinges. Might be strong enough for my application.

what about the usual drawer that you will pull out like any other? just put 2 pieces of wood where drawer will sit and slide like in old days.

Yes, I plan on making some pull out drawers, or bins, but have a pretty good idea on how to do that. Planning on building a rail type system where I can slide out the entire drawer/bin and carry it to where I need. I would make it so the drawer/bin could be pull out from either the front or back.

:old I say I'm planning all this because I don't have a heated garage and it's just too cold out there for me to be doing any work. So, my ideas are put to paper now and I'll attempt the build in the spring when it's warm enough to work in the garage. Years ago, the cold did not affect me much, but it does now. Oh well, it just forces me to think about the project more than I used to and I usually get a better end product.

Here is an interesting idea that I came across this morning...

1669814885921.png

I bet a person could easily make a wheeled split wood fire rack dolly out of pallet wood. I don't burn wood for heat, but thought this idea might be interesting to someone who does.

Also, another wood processing aide is the folding bucking horse...

1669815272517.png

I built one of those a few years ago out of reclaimed lumber, but how easy would it be to just use pallet wood 2X4's and planks? What I really like about this design is that it folds up flat and takes practically no space to store. For bucking up some of those logs, it works great. Works best if you have a helper to teamlift up heavier logs onto the bucking horse.

:old My dad and I used the folding bucking horse for many years, but when my father passed away, I discovered that I had to cut up too many tree trunks that were just too heavy for me to lift by myself. So, I ended up buying a Timberjack....

1669815716834.png

For a one man operation, I am able to lift the heaviest trees that fall down and get it up off the ground to cut with my chainsaw. Of course, you don't lift the entire tree trunk, just enough of the end to cut off a few rounds and then you reposition the lumberjack for the next cuts. It is made out of aircraft aluminum, is very lightweight, but impossible to bend. Much better than the jacks with wooden handles.

The wooden handled Timberjacks start at around $50, and I paid about $100 for the aluminum Timberjack. For me, the aluminum Timberjack was worth the extra money. I am sure it will outlive me.

I don't think you could make a Timberjack-type device out of pallet wood, but thought I would mention it here as I was showing pictures of wood cutting aides.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I was thinking about my chainsaw tools because I had big, dead, pine tree that just blew down in a heavy wind last week. I won't get to cut that up until next spring, but saw the pictures of the dolly and the folding bucking horse and thought I'd pass along the pics in case anyone might be interested.

1669876149319.png

I went to Menards yesterday to look for hinges like the ones you sent in this picture. But they did not have anything like that in the store. Worse yet, the plain old no-thrill hinges were much more expensive than I thought.

So, I'm reconsidering my options. I mentioned maybe using some inner tube rubber to make some kind of hinge. Later, I thought maybe just lining the bottom inside of the workbench top with some wood as a frame and just lifting off the top when I needed, and putting the top back on when done. The frame lining on the underside of the bench top should act like a stop to prevent the top from moving if I get it tight enough. Gravity to hold the top down. Not very fancy, but cost would be zero and if does not work, I can always remove the frame lining and do something else.

Another option I'm considering is picking up something that has been broken and/or free for pickup that already has hinges on it. I'd just reclaim those hinges for my project. Our local church thrift store puts lots of that kind of stuff outside for free pickup. Might get lucky there on a visit.

View attachment 3337826

I went to Menards yesterday to look for hinges like the ones you sent in this picture. But they did not have anything like that in the store. Worse yet, the plain old no-thrill hinges were much more expensive than I thought.

So, I'm reconsidering my options. I mentioned maybe using some inner tube rubber to make some kind of hinge. Later, I thought maybe just lining the bottom inside of the workbench top with some wood as a frame and just lifting off the top when I needed, and putting the top back on when done. The frame lining on the underside of the bench top should act like a stop to prevent the top from moving if I get it tight enough. Gravity to hold the top down. Not very fancy, but cost would be zero and if does not work, I can always remove the frame lining and do something else.

Another option I'm considering is picking up something that has been broken and/or free for pickup that already has hinges on it. I'd just reclaim those hinges for my project. Our local church thrift store puts lots of that kind of stuff outside for free pickup. Might get lucky there on a visit.
Self closing door hinges might work.They'd shut automatically once you opened it.

Back
Top Bottom