Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
Just came across this picture of a pallet wood chicken swing....

136d95a76e9c095c9537606c9e11f86d.jpg

Looks like the chickens are enjoying their pallet wood swing. How easy would that be to make in the chicken run?

I have seen some other people making chicken swings out of a single board. More like you would expect a swing for a person to look like.

4ccc58cd9d564a3e33d161a4c560ee9a.jpg

I wrote to a few of those people and asked them if their chickens actually used the swing, and the ones that responded to me said they did not. One guy had a YouTube video where he showed the chickens swings in the run, but I never saw any chickens on his swings. He responded to me that none of chickens used the swings, so he was going to get rid of them.

But I can see where a swinging pallet like that one in the first picture would be more inviting to the flock. Looks like 3 or 4 chickens enjoying that swing all at the same time.

Looks like the chickens are enjoying their pallet wood swing. How easy would that be to make in the chicken run?

I have seen some other people making chicken swings out of a single board. More like you would expect a swing for a person to look like.

I wrote to a few of those people and asked them if their chickens actually used the swing, and the ones that responded to me said they did not. One guy had a YouTube video where he showed the chickens swings in the run, but I never saw any chickens on his swings. He responded to me that none of chickens used the swings, so he was going to get rid of them.

But I can see where a swinging pallet like that one in the first picture would be more inviting to the flock. Looks like 3 or 4 chickens enjoying that swing all at the same time.

a few years ago I made a chicken swing but no chicken ever used it.

any idea how to make a dog house for 2 big dogs?

I do think the wide one might get used.

I might have to build a person sized swing in a coop sometime just to see if it gives me a clean spot to sit down in the run if I want 🤔🤣

a few years ago I made a chicken swing but no chicken ever used it.

I've heard that happens a lot. Which is why I thought maybe using a pallet as a swing might work better. It would have a bigger surface area to roost on and it probably would not swing as much. Both positives I would think.

any idea how to make a dog house for 2 big dogs?

Found a few pictures on Google. First a pallet wood dog house for 2....

OIP.CxUvsBF2yGieJw5X_6ZQFQHaFj

Looks pretty simple. No fancy roof - just slanted. I had a dog house of similar construction, and the roof was made to lift off. That was nice because it made it lighter to move around.

Here is another picture of a more conventional type roof build...

de3f3b67c9e551c6261522c8fe604978.jpg

Nice looking dog house, but I bet it is very heavy to move. Again, what I liked about our dog house was the removable roof to make everything easier to move.

If a chicken wants to get up on something and chill out for a while, why would they want it to swing? It's not conducive to quasi-napping and would make it more difficult to keep a keen watch over things.

You may be right. I built a pallet compost bin with a flat top in my chicken run. My chickens will jump/fly up there and chill out on top of the compost bin. Like you said, it does not move and they seem to like it. On a hot day, they go inside the compost bin and sit in the shade of the top piece.

I was thinking a larger pallet swing like the one in that picture would be more inviting to use as a perch because it has a much larger surface area than a single board, and it probably would not "swing" as much.

I might have to build a person sized swing in a coop sometime just to see if it gives me a clean spot to sit down in the run if I want 🤔🤣

:lau Yeah, I'd plan on bringing a bucket with warm soapy water and a rag to clean off the swing first. The chickens might not like to use it as a swing, but they seem to drop poo on any horizontal surface.

I built a very nice bench out of 2X6's which I have sitting just outside my chicken run. I can comfortably sit there and hand feed the chickens. Since the bench is not in the run, it stays clean. Probably not a pallet wood project, but if you have some reclaimed 2X6's this would make a nice project.

I built my bench prior to COVID-19, using new wood, and it only cost me around $30.00. I suppose with today's prices it might cost something like $25,000 or more. :idunno

But I can attest to the fact that it is a solid design and a well-built bench. I like sitting on a solid bench. Although I can pick it up and move it around, it is on the heavy side and usually I just drag it to wherever I want it. No problem for a two person lift.

TOOL UPDATE: I've been down with a bad winter cold for about 2 weeks. Hit me pretty hard. Going out to the backyard to feed the chickens was more than I could handle. Anyways, I went into town for shopping first time since mid-December. Found a great Post-Christmas clearance deal at Home Depot on a Ryobi 6 tool kit and used additional discounts to make the deal even sweeter. If you are interested in the whole story, check out my Ryobi kit clearance deal. Here is what the kit includes....

6890462d-a710-47fd-9e4e-20f883bbfd07_1.670e42497b95aac8c81924093584adc1.jpeg

More tools to make more pallet projects. Saving money where I can and picking up the deals when available....

:old Not to be too melodramatic, but at my age, when you get pretty sick you might just be a bit more thankful when you turn the corner and get better. With people passing away from COVID, flu, etc... at my age or younger, I don't take anything for granted. Dear Wife was sick, too. So, we suffered together with about a week overlap. Had to postpone our Christmas dinner for 5 days before I could eat anything but soup.

👼👼👼👼 Speaking of loss, our town of about 13,000 had 4 children, younger than 4 years old, die of RSV at the hospital in the past few weeks. For us, that is a tragedy. I guess we need to love those close to us like tomorrow might not come.

Well, hate to leave on a down note, but like I told you guys, I don't have a heated garage so about all I can do is plan for projects in the spring. I have been buying a few new tools which I hope to put to good use later this spring/summer. Just trying to get through the next few months of winter. Hope you guys in warmer climates are out and about and building stuff. Later...

TOOL UPDATE: I've been down with a bad winter cold for about 2 weeks. Hit me pretty hard. Going out to the backyard to feed the chickens was more than I could handle. Anyways, I went into town for shopping first time since mid-December. Found a great Post-Christmas clearance deal at Home Depot on a Ryobi 6 tool kit and used additional discounts to make the deal even sweeter. If you are interested in the whole story, check out my Ryobi kit clearance deal. Here is what the kit includes....

6890462d-a710-47fd-9e4e-20f883bbfd07_1.670e42497b95aac8c81924093584adc1.jpeg

More tools to make more pallet projects. Saving money where I can and picking up the deals when available....

:old Not to be too melodramatic, but at my age, when you get pretty sick you might just be a bit more thankful when you turn the corner and get better. With people passing away from COVID, flu, etc... at my age or younger, I don't take anything for granted. Dear Wife was sick, too. So, we suffered together with about a week overlap. Had to postpone our Christmas dinner for 5 days before I could eat anything but soup.

👼👼👼👼 Speaking of loss, our town of about 13,000 had 4 children, younger than 4 years old, die of RSV at the hospital in the past few weeks. For us, that is a tragedy. I guess we need to love those close to us like tomorrow might not come.

Well, hate to leave on a down note, but like I told you guys, I don't have a heated garage so about all I can do is plan for projects in the spring. I have been buying a few new tools which I hope to put to good use later this spring/summer. Just trying to get through the next few months of winter. Hope you guys in warmer climates are out and about and building stuff. Later...
Sorry to hear you've had it rough lately and equally glad you've rounded the corner. Hope your wife has too. Sounds like you both were feeling seriously sick. Hope your both taking it easy until your fully healed up.

Love your ryobi deal. It's nice having all your tools using the same batteries ❤️. Looks like you'll be well set for warmer weather inspirations!

Sorry to hear you've had it rough lately and equally glad you've rounded the corner. Hope your wife has too. Sounds like you both were feeling seriously sick. Hope your both taking it easy until your fully healed up.

Love your ryobi deal. It's nice having all your tools using the same batteries ❤️. Looks like you'll be well set for warmer weather inspirations!

Thanks for the well wishes. We usually suffer though one bad winter cold every year, but this year was a bit harder than most. But I hope we are good now and just looking forward to spring when it gets here.

As for the tools, I bought into the Ryobi line about 18 years ago and it is really nice that my old tools work just fine with the newest batteries. That's value to me on my limited DIY budget.

Back
Top Bottom