Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

just wanted to share- my hubby built this nesting box today- I helped some...
20230703_152806.jpg
20230703_154139.jpg

Thank you. The lid does lift- I needed that because I was having a hard time kneeling down every day to get eggs. :wee :lau

:old Oh, I completely understand. Just about everything I build takes into consideration my age. I have an elevated coop and my nest boxes are waist high outside. I drop down a panel and gather the eggs. No bending required.

:old Oh, I completely understand. Just about everything I build takes into consideration my age. I have an elevated coop and my nest boxes are waist high outside. I drop down a panel and gather the eggs. No bending required.
Yes, I relate to what you are saying!! :old the nesting boxes may not be waist high but I use salad tongs to pick up the eggs🥰 not too bad on my back. So far so good.
20230704_095305.jpg

Copy of another post from the gardening thread, but I think that it makes sense to post it here as well as it discusses a tool I have used on some of my pallet projects. I don't think I ever mentioned my power stapler. For those of you who like tool reviews....

Welded wire fence stapled onto the inner surface.
IMG_2186.JPGIMG_2187.JPG

:caf 🤓 What kind of staples did you use?

A few weeks ago, I built a trellis on a raised bed and used regular (galvanized) Arrow T-50 staples to attach the wire. Someone suggested that the staples would rust out and fail in little time. They suggested I get the more expensive stainless-steel staples for attaching the wire to the frame. I did not even know about stainless-steel staples, but our local Menards does sell off brand Arrow T-50 compatible staples that are stainless steel. The stainless-steel staples cost 3X as much as the normal galvanized staples.

Side note...

:old I don't have the strength in my hands like I used to have. A number of years ago I was using a manual Arrow T-50 stapler on a big project, and I really felt it afterwards. I bought a Ryobi 18v (Arrow T-50 compatible) Stapler and love it. So much easier on the hands and much better stapling job on my projects. That device has over 1,700 reviews and sitting at 5 stars. I know I was one of the reviewers that gave it 5 stars. The current price is sitting at $79.00, but I know that I got my stapler for a lot less on sale. Maybe even on one of those sales where you buy some extra batteries and get a tool for free.

1688533186556.png

Whatever I paid for it, it was well worth it for me. For anybody with declining hand strength, this tool will allow you to work for many years longer on projects compared to the manual staplers.

There are probably other power staplers from other brands, but I'm in the Ryobi line of 18v tools so this was a no brainer for me. Point is these type of power staplers are really great.

Copy of another post from the gardening thread, but I think that it makes sense to post it here as well as it discusses a tool I have used on some of my pallet projects. I don't think I ever mentioned my power stapler. For those of you who like tool reviews....

:caf 🤓 What kind of staples did you use?

A few weeks ago, I built a trellis on a raised bed and used regular (galvanized) Arrow T-50 staples to attach the wire. Someone suggested that the staples would rust out and fail in little time. They suggested I get the more expensive stainless-steel staples for attaching the wire to the frame. I did not even know about stainless-steel staples, but our local Menards does sell off brand Arrow T-50 compatible staples that are stainless steel. The stainless-steel staples cost 3X as much as the normal galvanized staples.

Side note...

:old I don't have the strength in my hands like I used to have. A number of years ago I was using a manual Arrow T-50 stapler on a big project, and I really felt it afterwards. I bought a Ryobi 18v (Arrow T-50 compatible) Stapler and love it. So much easier on the hands and much better stapling job on my projects. That device has over 1,700 reviews and sitting at 5 stars. I know I was one of the reviewers that gave it 5 stars. The current price is sitting at $79.00, but I know that I got my stapler for a lot less on sale. Maybe even on one of those sales where you buy some extra batteries and get a tool for free.

1688533186556.png

Whatever I paid for it, it was well worth it for me. For anybody with declining hand strength, this tool will allow you to work for many years longer on projects compared to the manual staplers.

There are probably other power staplers from other brands, but I'm in the Ryobi line of 18v tools so this was a no brainer for me. Point is these type of power staplers are really great.
I used a pneumatic (air powered) narrow crown stapler, capable of firing 1/2 inch to 1-1/4 inch leg length staples. I used 3/4 inch to attach the fence to the 2x4s. This is the stapler I use, and it's an incredible time saver.

Position the stapler and pull the trigger. Easy Peasy.

Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 12.21.56 AM.png

I used a pneumatic (air powered) narrow crown stapler, capable of firing 1/2 inch to 1-1/4 inch leg length staples. I used 3/4 inch to attach the fence to the 2x4s. This is the stapler I use, and it's an incredible time saver.

Position the stapler and pull the trigger. Easy Peasy.

View attachment 3566487

:confused::lau I completely forgot about the pneumatic staplers. I actually have a different one than yours from Harbor Freight. I got it free with a minimum purchase of something like $30.00 or $40.00 last fall. Here is the one I got for free...

1688545906483.png

1688545939571.png

I was going to make some storage crates using long staples, but my local Harbor Freight was out of stock on the size I needed and did not get them back on the shelf for almost 3 months. By that time, it was too cold in my garage to do any work. So, the nailer/stapler got put away and I just have not yet taken it out.

Gee, I hope it works! I have not even unboxed it yet. My bad...:tongue

Having said that, when I built my trellis, I considered using the 2-in-1 nailer/stapler but the trellis was being built in the backyard about 100 feet from any electrical outlet. Rather than haul out the compressor from the garage and bringing it to the backyard, I just grabbed the 18v stapler and went air hose free. My 18v stapler is limited to 9/16 inch staples, and if they do not hold up, I think I will use the pneumatic stapler next time and get those 1-1/2 inch staples and drive them in deep.

I don't have very many pneumatic tools, but the ones I do have are great tools. They seem to be well built and have more features at a much lower cost than cordless power tools. Well, that is, if you don't count the cost of the compressor. Thanks for reminding me of the pneumatic stapler/nailers.

:confused::lau I completely forgot about the pneumatic staplers. I actually have a different one than yours from Harbor Freight. I got it free with a minimum purchase of something like $30.00 or $40.00 last fall. Here is the one I got for free...

View attachment 3566490

View attachment 3566491

I was going to make some storage crates using long staples, but my local Harbor Freight was out of stock on the size I needed and did not get them back on the shelf for almost 3 months. By that time, it was too cold in my garage to do any work. So, the nailer/stapler got put away and I just have not yet taken it out.

Gee, I hope it works! I have not even unboxed it yet. My bad...:tongue

Having said that, when I built my trellis, I considered using the 2-in-1 nailer/stapler but the trellis was being built in the backyard about 100 feet from any electrical outlet. Rather than haul out the compressor from the garage and bringing it to the backyard, I just grabbed the 18v stapler and went air hose free. My 18v stapler is limited to 9/16 inch staples, and if they do not hold up, I think I will use the pneumatic stapler next time and get those 1-1/2 inch staples and drive them in deep.

I don't have very many pneumatic tools, but the ones I do have are great tools. They seem to be well built and have more features at a much lower cost than cordless power tools. Well, that is, if you don't count the cost of the compressor. Thanks for reminding me of the pneumatic stapler/nailers.
I hope your pneumatic stapler/nailer works too. Do you have a bottle of air tool oil? Mine stapler has a tag saying to oil it daily, which I do. I probably over-oil it, and put in a dozen drops or so right before I start using it each day. Most of it blows out, but I know for sure it's well lubricated. LOL

Home Depot is awesome! I decided to return my remaining rolls of welded wire fencing (4'x50' rolls) and use chicken wire on the next raised bed enclosure.

I was going to go with 2" hex poultry mesh, and planned to get a few 4x50' rolls at $22 each. To make a long story short, I ended up getting much better 1" hex chicken wire at a steep discount. Priced at $50 per roll, the store employee matched the price of the 2" mesh for one roll of the 1" wire, and knocked $50 off the cost of the other two I bought. It was some kind of Customer Satisfaction discount.

Plus I got 10 sticks of cull lumber, 2x4's and 2x6's for $17. I drove home happy.

I hope your pneumatic stapler/nailer works too. Do you have a bottle of air tool oil? Mine stapler has a tag saying to oil it daily, which I do. I probably over-oil it, and put in a dozen drops or so right before I start using it each day. Most of it blows out, but I know for sure it's well lubricated. LOL

I have a couple of bottles of air tool oil. I put in the recommended 3-5 drops into the tool before use. I have not heard about any daily oiling. As far as I know, you only need to put in oil before each use.

I was going to go with 2" hex poultry mesh, and planned to get a few 4x50' rolls at $22 each. To make a long story short, I ended up getting much better 1" hex chicken wire at a steep discount. Priced at $50 per roll, the store employee matched the price of the 2" mesh for one roll of the 1" wire, and knocked $50 off the cost of the other two I bought. It was some kind of Customer Satisfaction discount.

:clap Congratulation on the super deals! Love hearing that kind of story. I use the 1-inch chicken wire as cages over Dear Wife's planters and that has kept out the squirrels and chipmunks. I think they would easily get into the plants with 2-inch chicken wire.

Plus I got 10 sticks of cull lumber, 2x4's and 2x6's for $17. I drove home happy.

When I go to town, I always check out the cull lumber at Home Depot. You can really get some good deals if you are there at the right time. One big advantage of cull wood over salvaged or pallet wood is that you don't have to worry about any nails in the cull wood. That's important if you need to cut the wood. Don't want to ruin a $40 table saw blade on free salvaged or pallet wood!

Considering that possibility, last winter I purchased this from Harbor Freight...

1688593986182.png

Of course, I waited until it went on sale. I am happy with this detector. It has worked well for me. I still visually inspect any salvaged or pallet wood I need to cut, but the wand might be able to detect some hidden nails.

:thumbsup Love hearing about all your projects. Gives me a boost of energy just looking at the pictures you post. Keep them coming!

Back
Top Bottom