Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

⚠️ Idea for Bench Grinder and Belt Sander Portable Pallet Workbench

I was in town yesterday picking up chicken feed at the Fleet store. Stopped by a few of my favorite pallet pickup places and found 2 partial pallets with nice strong plywood tops. Picked them up and put them in back of the old Explorer to take home. I'm sure I could use those partial pallets with plywood tops for something.

Those partial pallets with plywood tops are still out in the Explorer, but we are having thunderstorms at the moment so I will just post a Google picture of what they look like...

View attachment 3628660

Just estimating the sizes of those pallets, one was about 1/2 size of a normal pallet and the other one is about 1/3 size. I would like to make something out of the smaller one.

After I loaded those partial pallets, I then went over to Menards to pick up a few things, and found these small wheels on sale...

View attachment 3628651

These are not really strong wheels, only rated for 60 pounds each, but I got to thinking of using them to make a portable bench for something small.

First idea that came to mind was a bench for my grinder. I have been looking at getting a separate stand for my bench grinder, like this one at Harbor Freight...

View attachment 3628653

But that stand costs $45.00 and does not have wheels to move it around the garage. Since my garage space is limited, I need to be able to move my tools and benches out of the way so I can get our cars into the garage.

The partial pallet with plywood top that I just picked up was a little more than double the surface area of the metal stand above. So, I could put another tool on it.

A few months ago, I bought an open box 1X30 inch Belt Sander...

View attachment 3628657

I could fit both my bench grinder and the belt sander on that plywood pallet top. Then just build some kind of framework for the legs and bottom supports for the small wheels I just got from Menards. Then I would have a moveable stand for those two tools, which would free up the counter space on my good work benches.

Now I am looking into different ways to make the wheels retractable in some manner so that I can easily move the stand when the wheels are down, but when I want to use the tools, I can retract the wheels and the stand will sit solid on the floor and not move.

If nothing else, I could make a custom fit dolly with those wheels and just slip it underneath the stand when I need to move it. That would be easy.

To give you an idea of what I am thinking, I found a picture on Pinterest that is close to my idea. Just a basic frame with the partial plywood pallet on top. Wheels on the bottom would have to be retractable because I like my tool stands not to more around when I am using them. I think I could mount both my bench grinder, the belt sander, and maybe even a vise on a portable bench.

View attachment 3628676

:idunnoWell, like I said, it's rainy cats and dogs outside, so I am inside the house thinking of new projects to build. If anyone has a good suggestion on making retractable wheels for a small workbench, that is where I am stuck at the moment.
The wheels can be retracted using threaded rod, 2 nuts to fit the threaded rod, 2 steel plates with the nuts welded to both while on the rod. Plates should be welded to a length of black iron pipe to give clearance to the threaded rods. You would need 4 of these sets. I think it is not worth it. I'd use locking caster instead.

Would the wheels with a locking mechanism be adequate to make them sit solid when needed? I've been thinking of building a workbench and was thinking of using that kind of wheel so wondering if the locking mechanism works well enough.

The small wheels I just picked up do not have a locking mechanism. That is a good idea, though. I wonder if there is some way to lock those wheels into place? That might be another method to get to the end goal. I just don't want the bench to move when I working with the tools. Thanks for the thought.

The wheels can be retracted using threaded rod, 2 nuts to fit the threaded rod, 2 steel plates with the nuts welded to both while on the rod. Plates should be welded to a length of black iron pipe to give clearance to the threaded rods. You would need 4 of these sets. I think it is not worth it. I'd use locking caster instead.

Yeah, that sounds like a complicated solution to a simple bench.

:idunnoWould it be possible to have the wheels permanently mounted, but the legs retractable? Just toying around with an idea of having some legs drop and lock into place. Might be able to accomplish the same goal only thinking in reverse.

You can use two wheels with locks that swivel to steer with and 2 of the same size that just lock. I've used them and they worked for me. I put them on a wooden stand for a jointer.

Some of my heavy work tool storage chests have wheels like that. So, I have a good idea of how they work.

The small 4 wheel sets I just bought are all swivel, 360 degrees, with no locking mechanism. Maybe that's why the sets were so inexpensive.

I did find one low tech, low cost, solution that might work. When you move the bench to where you want, then just slip some caster cups under the wheels to lock it in place...

1693943724258.png

I'm thinking I could probably make some caster cups out of scrap pieces of pallet wood. If the wooden casters slip on the garage floor, I could maybe glue some rubber to the bottom of the wooden caster cup.

That might not be the best solution, but it would be free as I have lots of scrap wood and rubber from blown inner tubes.

The disadvantage is that I would always have to pick up and move the caster cups every time or risk losing them.

Cool video....

Should've mentioned what it's about. It shows all kinds of interesting tricks, making tools, etc.

https://fb.watch/mUQvB2JFHb/

Translated Title of video is: Simple tricks to repair almost anything at home

Lots of interesting hacks to get things done. Thanks for the link.

:caf I was going to start on making a small portable workbench for my bench grinder and 1X30 belt sander today. I took out my "half" pallets and discovered that they were actually closer to full sized pallets. The first one I took apart yielded a very nice 43X43 inch piece of 1/2 inch plywood, almost in new condition. That's the good news.

:tongue But that is more than twice as big as I want to make my small bench grinder/belt sander portable bench. I am thinking maybe 16X24 inches. Also, it had the wrong stringers for making a benchtop. It had those stupid Euro blocks instead of proper 2X4's. So, no way to cut that in half like I planned.

:confused: So, a minor setback today. Rethinking my options at present. I have some regular mini sized pallets, with proper 2X4 framing, so I might look around and find a nice piece of plywood to put on the top for the bench. I will probably save this new 43X43 inch piece of plywood for another project. I hate to cut up a large piece of plywood to make a small project.

The other pallet I picked up last week is also less exciting than I first thought. I took it out today and looked over it closely. Again, stupid Euro blocks and the thick plywood I was so excited about turns out to be a couple of 1/2 inch sheets of plywood put together. Looking at all the nails on that pallet, it is going to be a challenge to tear that apart.

:idunno I'm not complaining, but I thought I was going to be dealing with something a little different, and easier to tear apart. As many pallets as I have picked up in the last year, you would think I would have a better idea of what I was doing. But both of these pallets turned out to be much more work than I had planned. Oh well, I should have some good sheet goods when I am done with them. Not what I had planned, but I'm OK with changing plans as needed.

⚠️ Flash Sale on Kreg Crosscut Station at Menards

This Kreg Crosscut Station popped up on my emails a few days ago. It's another flash sale from Menards, so limited quantities and limited time to get one if you want. I almost always use my miter saw on a stand for cutting up my boards. But sometimes I need to cut straight boards out in the yard, away from the garage and corded power. This Kreg Crosscut Station is a portable solution to get more accurate cuts then what I can freehand with my portable circular saw.

1694457661414.png

Here is the Kreg promo video on the Crosscut Station.....

These Kreg Crosscut Stations were selling for $50 on Amazon a few months ago. It's pretty highly rated. So, this sale at Menards is a great deal if you want or need something like this.

I ordered one from Menards. My idea is that maybe I can break down some of my pallets with the circular saw method, cutting the pallet wood planks between the 2X4 stretchers, and then cutting the planks into finished 16-inch lengths with the crosscut station right there where I cut up the pallet. I use 16-inch pallet wood plank pieces to build my 16-inch-high pallet wood raised beds. If it works out, it would save me some time and effort from hauling all the wood to the garage and cutting it up there. Not a big deal, but for $10 I'm going to give it a try.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom