Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

⚠️ New Tool - Doyle 14 inch Nippers for pulling nails

You guys know me by now that I love my tools. I got a new (nice to have but not totally necessary) tool today at Harbor Freight to add to my toolbox...

View attachment 3644396

View attachment 3644395

View attachment 3644397

HF had a 30% off coupon this weekend, so I got this pair of nippers for $12.59 plus tax. That's a pretty good deal. I have a smaller 7-inch pair of nippers that I use for pulling nails, and they work great. But every once in a while, I have to pull out a tough long nail and need more leverage. This 14-inch nippers should do the trick.

I'll do a tool review after I have had time to actually use it. The YouTube online video reviews are generally positive. Of course, the big selling point is that these nippers are less than $20 and have a lifetime warranty. I'll let you guys know how much I use it after I have had it for some time. Right now, I'm not taking apart many pallets and probably won't again until next spring.

:fl I might squeeze a few more projects in before winter snows me in.
Those look like my horse hoof nippers! Lot better price though....wonder how well the two tools would interchange.

Those look like my horse hoof nippers! Lot better price though....wonder how well the two tools would interchange.

:idunno I would think the nippers made for the horse hoof would be made with a sharper, stronger, steel and that is why they cost more. Even the reviews on the 14-inch Doyle nippers that I bought, they are considered a good deal for under $20 to use as "beater nippers" so you can save your expensive professional nippers for the detail work. I don't do detail work. So, I'm OK with an everyday pair of nippers with a solid build.

I'm guessing that horse hoof nippers cost more because they are worth more. But since you have the hoof nippers, I think you are in a much better position to judge the quality of the nippers than me.

I'll post a link to a YouTube video by a tool review guy giving the Doyle 14-inch nippers a good comparison to his much more expensive professional nippers. The Doyle nippers come up short in the comparison, as you might imagine, sometimes you get what you pay for, but the final recommendation is that the Doyle nippers are a great value for the money and for use as an everyday nippers. That's all I wanted.

:caf I like watching comparison tool reviews, but often times they are meaningless to me. For example, if my $50 Ryobi saw takes 1.5 seconds longer to cut a board than a $150 contractor saw, I'll save the $100 every day. It really won't affect my work production, especially at my age. As long as the board gets cut cleanly, I really don't care if I have to spend an extra 1.5 seconds at the sawhorses.

Speaking of saving money, I noticed that the Kreg Crosscut Station that I ordered online on a Flash Sale a few weeks ago is now in stock at my local Menards.

1695622511392.png

If you have a 7-1/4 inch circular saw, then this Kreg Crosscut Station jig might give you the cutting accuracy of a much larger and more expensive miter saw and stand combo. Seriously, I think I paid something like $300 for my miter saw and another $200 for my stand. I use it all the time, but it takes up a lot of floor space in my garage which is at a premium for me. Most of the wood I work with these days is 2X4's and pallet wood slats. I don't need a $500 setup to cut that wood as it can easily be done on a workbench top with this Kreg jig.

I have to move my big miter saw and stand to my storage garage in the winter so I can get my car back into the stall. But, I will still have enough room for this small Kreg jig on my workbench if I need to cut some boards.

Although I make lots of my jigs myself, this Kreg Crosscut Station at this price is a no-brainer. I think Amazon is still selling them at $40.00. If you have a local Menards, and you are in the market for this type of tool, I think they will only have this price until they run out of stock. You can still order them online with about another $12.00 shipping and processing fees.

after I have had a chance to use the nippers for a while, I'll post an update on what I really feel about them. If I don't find them useful enough, I'll post that too. I don't get paid by anyone to fake a review.
We sure do appreciate your reviews! We know they're unbiased and based on real-life experience.
:thumbsup

⚠️ New Tool - Doyle 14 inch Nippers for pulling nails

You guys know me by now that I love my tools. I got a new (nice to have but not totally necessary) tool today at Harbor Freight to add to my toolbox...

View attachment 3644396

View attachment 3644395

View attachment 3644397

HF had a 30% off coupon this weekend, so I got this pair of nippers for $12.59 plus tax. That's a pretty good deal. I have a smaller 7-inch pair of nippers that I use for pulling nails, and they work great. But every once in a while, I have to pull out a tough long nail and need more leverage. This 14-inch nippers should do the trick.

I'll do a tool review after I have had time to actually use it. The YouTube online video reviews are generally positive. Of course, the big selling point is that these nippers are less than $20 and have a lifetime warranty. I'll let you guys know how much I use it after I have had it for some time. Right now, I'm not taking apart many pallets and probably won't again until next spring.

:fl I might squeeze a few more projects in before winter snows me in.

/taken mental note to ADD this tool in the near term “when I see the next HF sale coupons at 30% or better.”

/taken mental note to ADD this tool in the near term “when I see the next HF sale coupons at 30% or better.”

:caf I do a lot of window shopping at Harbor Freight, looking at tools and watching YouTube reviews. If I think I might buy a certain tool, I'll add it to my HF app and wait for it to go on sale or buy it with one of those coupons when they come around. HF always has some kind of sale going on, so if you can wait for the right coupons, you can save money. Well, that's what I do because most of my tool purchases these days are "nice to have" things and not something necessary to buy right now for a job.

So I know there is at least a couple pictures showing the 1st go-round of “free TSC pallet framed composting” that I started in 2018 & then tweaked in 2019…
Then moved it and built a 2nd next to it in the 1st spring of covid…

The 1st picture in this post is of the compost pile having just lifted off & unscrewed that wornout pallet bin. The pallets falling down to the left is that 2nd one built in 2019/2020 when the main pile was moved out to this location.
5071B87C-D4DE-4731-9773-09B797A8C4F9.jpeg

This is the unloading and pre staging process a college Buddy took while helping… rare to have an actual “selfie” to share in the BYC as well….
DBBFF4F4-24E6-4CD5-A31E-7FC32A08DA46.jpeg

DF7EEE80-CADD-41AA-B307-35EA36F1C849.jpeg
And that’s “Lilly” one of our 2 y/o multi-poo mix puppies “helping.”

Here is the 1st *new bin* mostly finished:
4EC91A31-1C1F-4744-B455-AFD54D87AC41.jpeg

Using many more new screws than old ones re-used. This one is much more stout. Too often 50-70+ MPH gusts and 25-60MPH sustained winds up on our hillside.

So here’s a few more along the way:

FAFA39D0-59E1-40A0-8F63-801C47C4F948.jpeg

97EF63B2-77CC-47B3-B83F-0FFCF03342C0.jpeg

9B570D54-B7DC-470A-ACDB-827FCEEAC642.jpeg

C8D9C30C-A975-4004-8186-483D27479684.jpeg

The flat dirt patch in front of the tractor was a part of a much larger dirt pile to the right (out of frame) that I finally this spring started to filter out the obvious rocks…. Well, two days ago I went a lot further in sorting/removing the rocks and stones… and started a pure dirt pile where the 2 compost bins used to be. Added some of this dirt on top of the branches and sunflower stalks to restart the composting in the 3 new bins. The old plywood panels are still “barely viable” and will likely dissolve over the next 12-24 months… if that long.

Just to show a little of the rock piles from about 2 hours of honest effort and scoop, spread, sort and then scoop back up and dump in the fresh dirt pile…
3AE0D6BC-13B1-48DA-858F-AFB3C85EDF3B.jpeg

5FA96058-BCA2-42A1-BF1A-954F07C3FFA1.jpeg
Showing a few of the stones for scale I wear typically size 11 & 12’s.

FDA5BD07-0921-400E-9D84-E8CB7D5C8466.jpeg

580B35B8-0CEC-4F45-98C7-505C41679234.jpeg

This is the last ~1/3 of sunflower stalks and tree trimmings I had piled up to burn and have a nice supply of pot ash for the chickens dust bathtubs, garden and rest of the yard… alas over this supper-hot summer put us into another burn ban for the last 4-5 months? This pile was created over the last 6-7 months.

I’ve wanted to get a PTO chipper/shredder for a while now…. That will make quick mulch outta the remaining branches and stalks.

:caf I do a lot of window shopping at Harbor Freight, looking at tools and watching YouTube reviews. If I think I might buy a certain tool, I'll add it to my HF app and wait for it to go on sale or buy it with one of those coupons when they come around. HF always has some kind of sale going on, so if you can wait for the right coupons, you can save money. Well, that's what I do because most of my tool purchases these days are "nice to have" things and not something necessary to buy right now for a job.
Yeah, I know that “nice to have” goal… several tools and ideas have been sitting on that shelf for…. In some cases 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom