Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

The flat dirt patch in front of the tractor

:drool ...the tractor. I only wish...

I’ve wanted to get a PTO chipper/shredder for a while now…. That will make quick mulch outta the remaining branches and stalks.

Yeah, that's a great idea. I don't know how fast a PTO chipper/shredder makes mulch out that stuff, but I am assuming it's a lot faster then my gas chipper. The smaller you can get that mulch, the faster it will decompose.

I used to chip up more wood in previous years. But since then, I found out I can get all the free wood chips I can use at our local county landfill. I can load out my trailer full of wood chips at the landfill in about 20 minutes, whereas it might take me about 8 hours chipping wood at home with my gas chipper. So now I use my wood in making hügelkultur raised garden beds, burning out stumps, or tossing it into a big pile out in the tall grass where it can sit and compost until I find a better use for it.

Those new pallet wood compost bins are looking great. However, I do have a few questions since you own a tractor with a front bucket. Why do you even need to put that mulch into a compost bin? Could you not just build a large row mound out in the field, and then use your front-end bucket to turn the row mound every so often? That's what I see them doing in commercial operations.

Yeah, I know that “nice to have” goal… several tools and ideas have been sitting on that shelf for…. In some cases 20 years.

:old Well, considering when my parents passed, I probably don't have another 20 years in front of me. So, I am buying a lot more of those "nice to have" tools when I find good deals on them and while I am still healthy enough to use and enjoy them.

Like many people, when I was younger, I did not need many of the tools I am now buying. But over the years I set aside some money for those opportunities where a good deal comes along. I can buy the tool guilt free with money from that fund.

A friend of mine had an aunt who wouldn't spend money on herself even though she could afford to. She was "too old" to move; such a hassle, and she didn't want to have to look for a place, etc. etc.

She was "too old" to buy a new couch, even though her current one was uncomfortable.

She was "too old" to buy any clothes that would be more comfortable to wear.

My friend bought her a new couch and said, "Auntie, even if you die next week, this will be a nice comfortable couch to enjoy right now."

I say, if I think I'll use it/enjoy it and I can afford it, I should buy it. Both of those criteria have to be present.

A friend of mine had an aunt who wouldn't spend money on herself even though she could afford to. She was "too old" to move; such a hassle, and she didn't want to have to look for a place, etc. etc.

She was "too old" to buy a new couch, even though her current one was uncomfortable.

She was "too old" to buy any clothes that would be more comfortable to wear.

My friend bought her a new couch and said, "Auntie, even if you die next week, this will be a nice comfortable couch to enjoy right now."

I say, if I think I'll use it/enjoy it and I can afford it, I should buy it. Both of those criteria have to be present.

Well, I consider that I am making pallet wood raised garden beds for essentially free. If I had to buy the wood for those gardens, it would cost me hundreds of dollars. So, I don't feel bad buying some new tools that help me save more money, save time, or save labor so I can continue to enjoy these hobbies.

When my father got to an age where he was no longer able to help me, then I started buying tools for a one-man operation. I never needed those type of tools before when you have a second person helping you. When you work alone, I discovered that there were a lot of tools that made those jobs easier.

As I get older, I am finding that I am replacing a number of my manual tools that served me well for many years, with new battery powered tools that make those jobs easier. No guilt in that respect.

It's like my evolution in gardening. I started out in-ground gardening, when my young back had no problems bending over all day. Then I moved into raised beds, at first only 4-6 inches tall. But now all my raised beds are 16 inches tall and I don't have to bend over hardly at all. It allows me to enjoy gardening as I get older.

Many of my pallet projects this past year are answers to how can I make things easier for me so I can enjoy my hobbies. I built a platform for my compost sifter to get it higher up off the ground, allowing me to put my garden wagons underneath the barrel as the compost is sifted directly into the wagon. Much easier than sifting the compost on the ground and then shoveling it into a wagon later. I built some mobile modular workbenches in the garage so I don't have to work on some projects on the floor. And I threw a pallet on top of a tow behind the mower cart so that I can drive it out to wherever I am working and can build things up off the ground.

I am still trying to make another two pallet wood raised beds before winter hits. It would be nice to have them built and ready to go for next spring. But, like many things, other priorities seem to need more immediate attention.

yes please! photos and measurements help out tremendously. I'll have to measure the diameter of each kiddie pool and build accordingly.

we love photos here. please post them.
Sorry it's taken so long! I finally was able to get photos of the duck pool today. The pallet is about 44"x44" (112cm x 112cm) and the kiddie pool is 36" (91cm) in diameter. The pool has about a 1" (2.5cm) lip so I cut the hole smaller.

palletpool1.jpg palletpool2.jpg

I added extra 2x4s to the bottom to support the short slats.

palletpool3.jpg palletpool4.jpg

Eventually I'd like to use 4x4 posts instead of the concrete blocks and add some sort of framing underneath to support the pool. The pool did fall through the hole today, but these kiddie pools are tougher than they seem and I was able to return it to its original shape and use it again. Considering doubling up the pool next time.

Sorry it's taken so long! I finally was able to get photos of the duck pool today. The pallet is about 44"x44" (112cm x 112cm) and the kiddie pool is 36" (91cm) in diameter. The pool has about a 1" (2.5cm) lip so I cut the hole smaller.

View attachment 3646592View attachment 3646593

I added extra 2x4s to the bottom to support the short slats.

View attachment 3646594View attachment 3646595

Eventually I'd like to use 4x4 posts instead of the concrete blocks and add some sort of framing underneath to support the pool. The pool did fall through the hole today, but these kiddie pools are tougher than they seem and I was able to return it to its original shape and use it again. Considering doubling up the pool next time.
Thank you! Have so much time on my hands lately (broken toe) that I need to find a project to keep me sane. Will try this out, if the weather cooperates.

Eventually I'd like to use 4x4 posts instead of the concrete blocks and add some sort of framing underneath to support the pool.

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures. When I first saw your duck pool setup, I said to myself that really looks nice. But when I looked closer at that first photo, I could not see where or how you supported your pool from the underneath.

4X4 posts would be nice, and they look nice as legs on some of my projects. Many times, you can double up 2X4's and essentially make a 4X4 post of your own. I do that in many places where I need that extra strength, but I don't care about how it looks because it is out of sight.

IIRC, I suggested a person building one of your duck deck pools might consider using another full pallet underneath the pool as support.

The pool did fall through the hole today, but these kiddie pools are tougher than they seem and I was able to return it to its original shape and use it again. Considering doubling up the pool next time.

I am glad you mentioned this, because that was what I was thinking was going to happen to your pool if the support underneath was not adequate. Knowing the weight of water in the kiddie pool, I did not expect the pool to be able to support itself on just the top lip if there was not good support below. I'm glad you were able to return the pool to its original shape and use it again. I don't think doubling up the pool is the answer to your problem. If you had better support on the bottom, like maybe another full pallet for the kiddie pool to sit on, you would have plenty of support for that pool and there is no way it would fall through.

I am suggesting using another full pallet underneath because it would save you time and effort in building a support structure. To dress it up a bit more, you could add some vertical pallet wood around the outside of the structure like a hot tub, or raised bed might have.

Some Google pic ideas...

1695844677960.png

1695845518428.png

:clap You really have a great idea there with that pallet wood deck kiddie pool duck pond. I look forward to your modifications on v 2.0 of your build to solve the support issue. Again, if you want to cover up the support framing underneath, I don't think if would be very hard to add some boards around the structure to finish it off.

1695845829217.png

:bow I mean, that top portion is just a work of art...

Attachments

• 1695845100403.png
    1695845100403.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 1695845128079.png
    1695845128079.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 2
Thank you so much for sharing your pictures. When I first saw your duck pool setup, I said to myself that really looks nice. But when I looked closer at that first photo, I could not see where or how you supported your pool from the underneath.

4X4 posts would be nice, and they look nice as legs on some of my projects. Many times, you can double up 2X4's and essentially make a 4X4 post of your own. I do that in many places where I need that extra strength, but I don't care about how it looks because it is out of sight.

IIRC, I suggested a person building one of your duck deck pools might consider using another full pallet underneath the pool as support.

I am glad you mentioned this, because that was what I was thinking was going to happen to your pool if the support underneath was not adequate. Knowing the weight of water in the kiddie pool, I did not expect the pool to be able to support itself on just the top lip if there was not good support below. I'm glad you were able to return the pool to its original shape and use it again. I don't think doubling up the pool is the answer to your problem. If you had better support on the bottom, like maybe another full pallet for the kiddie pool to sit on, you would have plenty of support for that pool and there is no way it would fall through.

I am suggesting using another full pallet underneath because it would save you time and effort in building a support structure. To dress it up a bit more, you could add some vertical pallet wood around the outside of the structure like a hot tub, or raised bed might have.

Some Google pic ideas...

View attachment 3646726

View attachment 3646735

:clap You really have a great idea there with that pallet wood deck kiddie pool duck pond. I look forward to your modifications on v 2.0 of your build to solve the support issue. Again, if you want to cover up the support framing underneath, I don't think if would be very hard to add some boards around the structure to finish it off.

View attachment 3646737

:bow I mean, that top portion is just a work of art...
Hey, thanks so much. Obviously this was a quickly-built, temporary solution to the problem (actually two problems - the slope and draining) and it is a proof of concept. You gave some great suggestions. Although, I honestly don't need it to look amazing; I think 4x4 posts would make it look good enough for me. Like I said, the kiddie pool is surprisingly tough and the lip held up great for weeks until this morning (I think my mom set in it the hole incorrectly).

Obviously this was a quickly-built, temporary solution to the problem (actually two problems - the slope and draining) and it is a proof of concept.

It's really amazing how great that top deck part looks. Temporary or not, you hit the nail on the head!

I honestly don't need it to look amazing

Well, it looks amazing just the same.

Like I said, the kiddie pool is surprisingly tough and the lip held up great for weeks until this morning (I think my mom set in it the hole incorrectly).

You might be right. I see that you did have some support underneath the kiddie pool. Maybe your mother just did not get the pool back into place where it needed to be. On the other hand, it would not hurt to have supports under the pool where it would not fall through no matter how you put the pool back into that deck hole.

:love Nice to have a mom that helps with your [ducks]. Or are you helping your mother with her [ducks]? Either way, nice to have help in the family.

Last edited:
It's really amazing how great that top deck part looks. Temporary or not, you hit the nail on the head!

Well, it looks amazing just the same.

You might be right. I see that you did have some support underneath the kiddie pool. Maybe your mother just did not get the pool back into place where it needed to be. On the other hand, it would not hurt to have supports under the pool where it would not fall through no matter how you put the pool back into that deck hole.

:love Nice to have a mom that helps with your chickens. Or are you helping your mother with her chickens? Either way, nice to have help in the family.
Thanks. I guess you can say my mom and I share the poultry. The ducks are my new venture, but Mom didn't mind taking care of them in the mornings for me along with the chickens and sheep.

Back
Top Bottom