Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Are those blocks made of compressed wood chips and fiber? Do they swell up if they get wet?

They appear to be made of compressed wood chips and fiber. I have some just stored out in the sun and rain, and they have not swelled up - yet. So, they might have some kind of coating on them to protect them from rain? I don't know.

I just don't know what to use them for, so if I get too many stacked up, I start tossing them into the burn barrel when burning out a stump. They might be good firewood for a wood furnance, but I don't have one.

Ugliest little quail grow out pen you’ve ever seen. But…they love it, and believe it or not. NO water leaks or drips, and they love that little
Porch platform that lets the stand and stare and be nosy about what the chickens are doing!

Attachments

• IMG_7595.jpeg
    IMG_7595.jpeg
    939.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7216.jpeg
    IMG_7216.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 6
Ugliest little quail grow out pen you’ve ever seen. But…they love it, and believe it or not. NO water leaks or drips, and they love that little
Porch platform that lets the stand and stare and be nosy about what the chickens are doing!

There is a certain beauty in building something that just works out so well. Nicely done.

They appear to be made of compressed wood chips and fiber. I have some just stored out in the sun and rain, and they have not swelled up - yet. So, they might have some kind of coating on them to protect them from rain? I don't know.

I just don't know what to use them for, so if I get too many stacked up, I start tossing them into the burn barrel when burning out a stump. They might be good firewood for a wood furnance, but I don't have one.
No telling what type of adhesive or waterproofing chemical is on them so probably not a good idea to bury them in a Hugelkultur bed. Hmmm....

Maybe you could build a rotating carousel to store your fasteners. Several of the blocks, each with a circular piece of plywood fastened to the top. Holes bored through the center, then stacked on a vertical pipe which is mounted into a sturdy base????

No telling what type of adhesive or waterproofing chemical is on them so probably not a good idea to bury them in a Hugelkultur bed. Hmmm....

Those pallets are marked HT, so I would not expect them to contain any toxic chemicals. But I don't think they would be very good for a hügelkultur bed, either. Besides, I have lots of natural tree wood for that.

-[clipped]- Now to invest in a post hole digger, a box blade and building an outbuilding to store things in.
Current used prices around the DFW area (~500 mile radius)
(5’-6’) Box blade = $175 - 850
Post hole diggers = $100 - 500
Out Bldg/shed 10x20 on skids = free - $5000
~*~ typically this is $2000 or under for solid; free - $500 for solid frame & stable roof but, walls “skin & doors are near toast.”

Current used prices around the DFW area (~500 mile radius)
(5’-6’) Box blade = $175 - 850
Post hole diggers = $100 - 500
Out Bldg/shed 10x20 on skids = free - $5000
~*~ typically this is $2000 or under for solid; free - $500 for solid frame & stable roof but, walls “skin & doors are near toast.”
That's about how much they are going for here in NE Ohio. We had a 30x40 detached garage built for about $60k, but that was fully finished...drywalled, electricity ran out to it, insulated, painted and what have you. torn up That's where I currently store all my feed, bedding materials, wood that was from dismantled pallets, amongst other things.

⚠️ Pallet Wood Repair Picture Show of 4 Year Old Chicken Coop

Well, finally have some pictures to show of my chicken coop maintenance and repair job this summer. Did a little at a time, but everything is back in order before the snow falls. So, success in that respect.

First of all, some old pictures I found of the chicken coop when the chickens first arrived, not everything done, still needed to install the next boxes...

1696556137604.jpeg

Back of the coop view...

1696556209000.jpeg

Fast forward 4 years, and wear and tear on the coop really showing.

Back of the coop, trim rotted and need of a good paint touch up...

1696556361477.jpeg

Replace the rotted trim and repainted the good trim this summer...

1696556460967.jpeg

Looks a lot better. If I have time, I might put a coat of red paint, depending on the weather. But if not, it will be done next year.

The dropdown egg collection panel and the inside nest boxes boards rotted out and fell down. Definitely needed immediate repair, which I did, and then later put on new pallet wood trim boards.

1696556707097.jpeg

1696556671159.jpeg

Rebuilt with some pallet wood planks for the trim and a few plywood pieces I salvaged off a couple of pallets...

1696556854553.jpeg

Mixed up some glue and sawdust to make a putty. Was too chunky with the sawdust I used, but I sanded it down and repainted it. Also notice the trim board on the bottom that is rotting out.

Chunky DIY putty filler made with coarse sawdust and glue...

1696557972193.jpeg

Looking better now....

1696557069827.jpeg

I replaced that lower trim board as far as I could go, but since I conveted my chicken run into a chicken run composting system, the compost inside the run goes up all the way and now covers that lower trim board. That did not get replaced this year. I will have to take down the chicken run fencing to do that job.

To give you a good idea of how deep/thick my chicken run compost is, here is a before and after picture for comparison...

Before, about 4 years ago...

1696557471302.jpeg

Afterwards, early this summer, chicken run compost full up to and over that lower trim board...

1696557522063.jpeg

Anyway, I was not able to replace and repaint those bottom trim boards. Oh well, I can live with it. You cannot see them anyways.

Bottom line, everything repaired and tight for the winter. Will have to get the red paint out next year for some touch ups. Other than that, I am calling it done for now.

EDIT: All repairs done with free pallet wood. Last year's paint was used. Zero dollars spent on this repair project!

Last edited:
⚠️ Pallet Wood Repair Picture Show of 4 Year Old Chicken Coop

Well, finally have some pictures to show of my chicken coop maintenance and repair job this summer. Did a little at a time, but everything is back in order before the snow falls. So, success in that respect.

First of all, some old pictures I found of the chicken coop when the chickens first arrived, not everything done, still needed to install the next boxes...

View attachment 3652949

Back of the coop view...

View attachment 3652950

Fast forward 4 years, and wear and tear on the coop really showing.

Back of the coop, trim rotted and need of a good paint touch up...

View attachment 3652955

Replace the rotted trim and repainted the good trim this summer...

View attachment 3652960

Looks a lot better. If I have time, I might put a coat of red paint, depending on the weather. But if not, it will be done next year.

The dropdown egg collection panel and the inside nest boxes boards rotted out and fell down. Definitely needed immediate repair, which I did, and then later put on new pallet wood trim boards.

View attachment 3652962

View attachment 3652961

Rebuilt with some pallet wood planks for the trim and a few plywood pieces I salvaged off a couple of pallets...

View attachment 3652963

Mixed up some glue and sawdust to make a putty. Was too chunky with the sawdust I used, but I sanded it down and repainted it. Also notice the trim board on the bottom that is rotting out.

Chunky DIY putty filler made with coarse sawdust and glue...

View attachment 3652973

Looking better now....

View attachment 3652964

I replaced that lower trim board as far as I could go, but since I conveted my chicken run into a chicken run composting system, the compost inside the run goes up all the way and now covers that lower trim board. That did not get replaced this year. I will have to take down the chicken run fencing to do that job.

To give you a good idea of how deep/thick my chicken run compost is, here is a before and after picture for comparison...

Before, about 4 years ago...

View attachment 3652967

Afterwards, early this summer, chicken run compost full up to and over that lower trim board...

View attachment 3652968

Anyway, I was not able to replace and repaint those bottom trim boards. Oh well, I can live with it. You cannot see them anyways.

Bottom line, everything repaired and tight for the winter. Will have to get the red paint out next year for some touch ups. Other than that, I am calling it done for now.

EDIT: All repairs done with free pallet wood. Last year's paint was used. Zero dollars spent on this repair project!
Very nice work!

Back
Top Bottom