Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

I wish I could work with gloves. I have never ever found my size gloves. it seems those gloves are made for men only. big gloves always slow me down so I take them off.

:idunno Come to think of it, I really don't see gloves made for women, either. Except for maybe those cute colorful garden gloves that keep dirt off your hands but don't provide any protection like a nice leather glove would.

You might be able to find a good fitting pair of mechanic's gloves. They are made to fit skin tight and I know they sell them in small sizes. Those are the tightest fitting gloves I have and they do offer some protection at the same time.

FWIW, I have to take off my leather gloves when I need fine finger control like to operate many of my tools. But I try to wear a good pair of leather gloves when handling pallets because I have gotten a nasty wood sliver or two when I did not wear gloves. That hurts and you don't want to risk infection.

I wish I could work with gloves. I have never ever found my size gloves. it seems those gloves are made for men only. big gloves always slow me down so I take them off.
Same here. I can usually find my size at harbor freight though, and I've found the thicker nitrile coated palm ones are pretty good protection. Especially for cactus thorns.

You might be able to find a good fitting pair of mechanic's gloves.
I really like these for pruning tomatoes. They are not so bulky on my hands. I use them for pruning tomatoes and other task where finger dexterity is a must. Also easier to open latches on the sheds.

My favorite gloves for handling lumber, pallets or thorny plants are made of deer skin. They are the softest leather I have found. They fit my hands better the the regular leather gloves and are not so stiff if they are a little big.

My problem is always laying them down for a minute and then starting back to work and forgetting to put them back on. :D

🤔 Thinking about making some small planters for the deck out of pallet wood.

Continuing my thinking aloud, I found a nice example of a type of deck planter I might try to make...

1701620195056.png

I am thinking one could fill that planter with potting soil and call it a day. The water would drain through the cracks in the bottom wood, so you would not have to drill drain holes or anything.

However, I have been considering using a Dollar Tree Dish Bin on the bottom of the inside of the planter. Then I could turn that planter into a sub-irrigated planter by simply adding some half gallon milk jugs, drilling some holes into the empty jugs, and a simple overflow hole maybe 2 inches off the bottom of the dish bin. That would provide a nice 2 inches of water reservoir for the plants.

1701620729754.png
1701620807356.png

I tested out the half gallon jug idea and found I can get 2 jugs in the dish bin and cover a good 80% of the bottom. That's about perfect. Just pack in some peat moss around the jugs for wicking action and then top fill with potting soil. Easy as that!

Another idea is to fill the bottom of the dish bin with small logs, sticks, or other wood products to turn it into a small scale Hugle pot. Never tried that, but I have made lots of hügelkultur raised beds that are successful.

If anyone has any experience in making these types of planters, please let me know what you might suggest. Also, would appreciate any feedback on the concepts of modifying a deck planter in some of the ways I have been considering. Thanks.

My favorite gloves for handling lumber, pallets or thorny plants are made of deer skin. They are the softest leather I have found.

Yes, I have a nice pair of all leather gloves that are a very soft leather. I don't remember if they were deer skin or some other animal. But they are very nice gloves. Also, those all leather gloves are very expensive compared to the split leather gloves that I grab for most of my grunt work. But if you need protection on the top of your hand, those all leather gloves are the better choice.

I got a pair of smaller leather gloves at Ace Hardware that fit my hands fairly well. There's a type of drawstring at the wrist which I tightened enough to still be able to put them on without adjusting. I always wear them and safety glasses when using cutting tools like my reciprocating saw.

I use cheap nitrile-coated gloves and they work just fine for me. $3-$5 for five pairs. They fit my small hands and do a good job of protecting my hands while allowing me to hold onto smaller things. I use them for pretty much everything - gardening, working with animals (hoof trimming, etc), firewood stacking, and woodworking.

I use cheap nitrile-coated gloves and they work just fine for me. $3-$5 for five pairs. They fit my small hands and do a good job of protecting my hands while allowing me to hold onto smaller things. I use them for pretty much everything - gardening, working with animals (hoof trimming, etc), firewood stacking, and woodworking.

I think any gloves are better than no gloves. I have some of those nitrile-coated gloves as well. I use them for light gardening working, like potting up plants, etc... Dear Wife uses those type of gloves almost exclusively.

I was in Menards yesterday and noticed that have bins full of these gloves on Clearance..

1701703352395.png

In the store, they were marked down to $0.49 per pair. I'm sure that would be a great deal for many people.

Dear Wife has had her nitrile-coated gloves for a number of years. She does not wear them out. She is more likely to misplace or lose her gloves long before she wears them out.

For the type of yard work I normally do, and with handling pallets specifically, I prefer the split leather gloves. Even so, I wear out a good 3 or 4 pair of leather gloves every summer. But I'm a sensitive guy and wear gloves all the time. As well as hearing protection and eye protection. It's just the way I was taught. Personal safety always first in mind...

:thumbsup Just remembered... I often wear a pair of those tight-fitting nitrile-coated gloves underneath my big cold weather winter leather mittens I use for snow blowing out in the bitter, blowing, cold. The nitrile-coated gloves offer some waterproof protection if I have to take off the big mittens to work the small controls on the snowblower. So, maybe I should pick up a few pairs of those Clearance gloves at Menards when I go into town this week. You can never have too many gloves...

Back
Top Bottom