Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Good to hear that you were able to find some replacements for your stolen tools. I hope that kit works out well for you. Hope to see some pictures of your coop build when you start.

I use laptop for byc and my phone is not connected so I cannot share pics. I just connect pallets to each other and make walls. then I screw a piece of metal to one side to make a sloped roof. very simple. similar to this (I make metal frame roof) jus with whole pallets for walls:

sloped roof2.jpg

I ended up buying that VEVOR 6.5-inch reversable bench vise currently on sale at Amazon for 29% off. Here is a very positive video review of that VEVOR bench vise that tipped the scale for me...

One feature of that vise that I did not know about until yesterday is that this VEVOR vise uses ductile iron..

"The swivel vise is forged from sturdy 60,000 PSI ductile iron"

which is supposedly twice as strong as cast iron vises in this price range which are 30,000 PSI. So, on the specs, this VEVOR vise looks like a good deal.

💰💳 Well, all that plus I had a $50 credit sitting in my Amazon account from a return before Christmas. So, I got the vise with only spending about another $25 new money on the credit card. Easy purchase on the wallet this time.

As to pallet projects, yes, I do use a bench vise occasionally to hold wood down when I pull out nails, or to cut a board, but mostly I use these bench vises for other stuff in the garage. You can never have too many vises in the shop!

Was able to obtain 25 more pallets the other day, but all this snow is hampering me from moving forward to building something....I hate it. I'm now to over 100 pallets..lol
I probably have over 100 pallets sitting out in my backyard as well. But I only am able to pick up maybe 6 pallets at a time in my old Ford Explorer. If I have my small trailer hooked up, I can get about 10 pallets in that. Do you have a big trailer or something like that to get 25 pallets, or did you make multiple trips?

In my case, I rarely ever see more than 4-5 pallets for pickup at one time, so the old Ford Explorer is just fine without the trailer.

Picture of my pallet stash in the backyard - last summer - but last count was about 100 pallets....

1705948435979.jpeg

FYI, I live in northern Minnesota and all my pallets outside are covered in snow. So, I not doing much this time of year either. However, in that picture, you can see I have a metal shed. I emptied that shed out this past summer and started refilling it with pallet wood that I have broken down and de-nailed. All the wood in there is ready - and dry - for any build projects this spring. I got maybe 1/3 of that shed filled with ready to use pallet wood lumber.

I don't mind storing pallets outside in the rain and snow, but when I build stuff with the pallet wood, I like the wood to be dry. Anyways, it was a big deal for me to empty out all the junk in that old metal storage shed and put the shed to good use for storing pallet wood.

I probably have over 100 pallets sitting out in my backyard as well. But I only am able to pick up maybe 6 pallets at a time in my old Ford Explorer. If I have my small trailer hooked up, I can get about 10 pallets in that. Do you have a big trailer or something like that to get 25 pallets, or did you make multiple trips?

In my case, I rarely ever see more than 4-5 pallets for pickup at one time, so the old Ford Explorer is just fine without the trailer.

Picture of my pallet stash in the backyard - last summer - but last count was about 100 pallets....

FYI, I live in northern Minnesota and all my pallets outside are covered in snow. So, I not doing much this time of year either. However, in that picture, you can see I have a metal shed. I emptied that shed out this past summer and started refilling it with pallet wood that I have broken down and de-nailed. All the wood in there is ready - and dry - for any build projects this spring. I got maybe 1/3 of that shed filled with ready to use pallet wood lumber.

I don't mind storing pallets outside in the rain and snow, but when I build stuff with the pallet wood, I like the wood to be dry. Anyways, it was a big deal for me to empty out all the junk in that old metal storage shed and put the shed to good use for storing pallet wood.
I actually can get 15 pallets, stood upright, onto the back of my Tundra. I do have a 6'x12' trailer, but refuse to register it since it cost just as much as a regular car's registration.

I actually can get 15 pallets, stood upright, onto the back of my Tundra. I do have a 6'x12' trailer, but refuse to register it since it cost just as much as a regular car's registration.

Yeah, we had to get a new car and I wanted to get a pickup with an open bed. Dear Wife wanted us to get a SUV.

:idunno Guess which one we got? :hit

Oh well, I still have the old Ford Explorer which is pretty good for loading up stuff. And, I guess, it does have the advantage of a roof over the cargo area. So, I can pick up supplies in town and don't have to unload them until I am ready. Sometimes it is a big advantage to having that roof over the cargo area.

I only have a small 4X8 utility trailer, but here in Minnesota, I believe all our trailers are registered once for a lifetime sticker. All my boat trailers and the small utility trailer were registered about 20 years ago and they don't require annual tags or anything like that. For as little as I actually use my utility trailer, I don't think I would pay for an annual registration, either.

:caf Spent most of the afternoon with an electrician from our power company. I was trying to get the electric floor heat out in the garage working. For some reason, it was not working. It took the electrician about 2 hours to figure out and fix the problem, but it appears that the floor heat is working again. It might take a couple days for the slab to heat up, but I hope to have a somewhat warm garage by the end of the week to work on some pallet projects.

My goal is to use the slab heat to maintain the attached garage temp at 40F. That will be enough to melt the snow off the cars and dry the floor overnight. Then, when I want to work on some projects, I'll use my 60,000 BTU propane heater to boost the temp up to about 55F. It only takes about 10 minutes with that heater to get the garage comfortable enough to work in.

1706087949220.png

:old It's just been too cold to do any work in the garage for the past couple of weeks. We have been sitting at -20F many nights, and my unheated attached garage was down in the low 20F's. Too cold in the garage for this old guy to work. I hope to change that in a few days.

I have a few pallet related ideas I am working on and hope to share some pics soon. Just small stuff, but someone might find the ideas useful. Pretty limited to small indoor projects and such until later this spring. Well, anything I can get done now is less I have to take of later this spring.

I also got my new VEVOR 6.5 inch reversable bench vise delivered around supper time. I'll be taking that out tomorrow and looking for a place on one of my work benches to mount it. It's a lot bigger than the 4-inch bench vise I currently have.

1706089047265.png

Pro tip #1....
Just kidding, I'm not a pro. 🤪
I'm not sure why it didn't dawn on me to share this, but I've been out a few times collecting pallets and I've found Flooring stores have pallets with sheets of plywood nailed on them. Usually around 38-39" wide to 38-50" long and usually 3/8-1/2" thick.
Now I'm not sure what they're having shipped. Snap lock flooring?
But I just by chance wandered over and looked in their dumpster and I'm finding the same size sheets anywhere from Luan to 3/4" thick and the skids they use that have a channel routed down center for banding across top.
Plus I'm finding display pieces of what they sell. The skids I either rip in half and use as studs/nailers/backer boards or I lay them down full thickness to build a subfloor in my concreted barn to get ducks/chicks/chickens off the floor. The plywood/Luan is around $30/sheet brand spanking so that's gold in my eyes.
Do your own homework for local laws regarding this.
Here's a couple pics of my stash...
IMG_20240125_175814.jpg
IMG_20240125_175655.jpg
IMG_20240125_175744.jpg

IMG_20240125_175724.jpg

Back
Top Bottom