Pics

ShrekDawg

Chicken Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Anybody here have Boston Terriers? They seem like great dogs and I want pictures, stories, info, whatever. Also, has anyone heard of people trying to create a more original working type one that's bigger and with a longer snout? Olde Boston Bulldogge maybe? Some call them. Anyone heard of those or have one? Thanks

Yeah, I think there are a few people trying to do that. I think Bostons are fine as they are but the snout or lack thereof does seem to be a bit of a concern. I've been hearing that a lot about the Boston Frenchies! My friends have a Boston/Frenchie mix and I was just talking to them yesterday about her and probably asking way too many questions haha they say when she plays she plays hard and when she sleeps she sleeps hard and that she's very lovey and sweet. Also very smart and a good girl, walks off leash most of the time, and loves people and dogs. Only like 25 pounds. I said she sounds like the perfect dog lol and I was just reading amother thread and it seemed lots of people in there have that mix! Maybe I should be looking into one! Although I don't quite no where to find one besides maybe a rescue? Breeders are easy to find but of course only breed purebreds and I don't want to go with a mill/pet store dog haha

Pure Bostons seem amazing too though so idk. Maybe I will have all 3 one day. Frenchie, Boston, Frenchton as I've heard them called. And maybe the bigger one

They really do seem like the perfect dogs! Wow. I think I will look for one!

And that is a nice looking pack! Let me see if I can guess this right... long hair Chihuahua, Boxer, Aussie or Mini Aussie?, your Frenchton, and is that another Aussie? She looks big and a different coat. Puppy though?

Tilly is adorable!!

The little one is Spike, a rat terrier Chihuahua mix, Rosie the boxer, Frankie the Australian shepherd, mother was an early example of a mini, Matilda, and Sunny the Australian shepherd, pet/show quality, shaved coat because she gets too hot.

They are mostly good girls.

Aussies are pushy, and bossy, so be prepared for that type of personality. Mine have always been willing to fight if the situation comes about, and everything is theirs. They bark a bit too.

All traits needed to move unruly cattle, but they can be a challenge of you aren't ready for their shenanigans, and strong forward personality. They do tend to have a sense of humor, and can be sweet too. They are one breed that never chases or even looks at my poultry, so that part is nice.

You were really close. :)

Wow I hadn't realized they had that side, it's something that doesn't really come up in the info haha or maybe I just haven't researched enough. Are those traits just with other dogs or do they do it with people too? Cause I thought I read that herding dogs are pretty handler oriented and smart? But then again, Gator can be pushy too and knows exactly what he wants, he even gets upset when you ignore him, so I think I'm at least a little prepared for pushy or needy lol

And wow she is beautiful!

The dominance behavior can come off as affectionate to people who don't know dogs. They will get in your face, they follow you everywhere. It's a subtle dominance behavior that can be fine in most instances, especially if it's your only dog, but in a multiple dog household it can cause fights as the Australian shepherd tries to control everything like food, toys, and affection from you.

Both of mine will squabble. The older one likes to take stuff like toys right out of Sunnys mouth, sometimes Sunny fights back.

Actually many dogs are dominant over their owners without the owner knowing it. Things like throwing the ball every time it's brought to you, or even letting your dog out when it ask can mean the dog is controlling things. It doesn't generally become a problem until the dog growls or snaps at you. If you can't take anything out of your dog's mouth, or move him off the couch or bed without troubles you aren't dominant.

So Australian shepherds aren't dominant aggressive the same way a breed like a Rottweiler can be, but they are always looking to be in that position because it's been selectively bred into them in order to herd. Making sure they get plenty of exercise can go a long way too to keeping them happier.

I would call them a challenging intelligent breed that needs structure, and constant guidance, but they are also smart clowns. I never knew a dog had a sense of humor until my first Australian shepherd. She enjoyed falling over backwards on you lap and coming up behind people, mostly me, and whacking you in the crotch with her nose, she was a fearless goof.

So if you get one, expect to need to work with them, they aren't a breed that will sit around all day doing nothing, they will find stuff to do you may not like.

Thanks, that makes sense and is helpful :)

I don't really normally believe in the dominance thing or at least use mostly positive reinforcement but I have been finding more and more a lot of the things overlap. For instance, "alpha", "leader", "dominance" etc. Are hugely controversial and triggering words for many and people say they don't believe it but often practice the same methods just under a different name. Like for instance, I think we can all agree that YOU need to be in charge, not the dog, and that the dog should listen the first time you ask. Although some will still say the dog should listen because it wants to, which is nice and I mean it probably should, hence PR, but at the end of the day it still has to listen. A lot of them also practice NILF but so do a lot of the alpha people. A lot of stuff overlaps. I say, as long as you are not abusing the dog and the dog listens the first time you ask with no arguments then call it whatever you want haha my boy used to growl if you tried to force him off the bed (though of course sometimes we grabbed the collar and tried to drag him, an aggressive act to begin with) and resource guarded bones or things he stole but with a lot of training and just age he's come around. He still doesn't always come or get off the first time but he's gotten a lot better and we're still working on it. He also has to sit and wait before we go on walks and even if the door is wide open, he doesn't go until I say so. The door shuts if he tries to move. He usually doesn't now most times but he gets an "ah!" If he even thinks about like starts to flinch. I'm not obsessive or cruel about it, I know the difference between an ear flick or itch and him flinching muscles cause he's about to get up haha and it's just calm and quiet verbal. He also stays back and waits when I put something in his bowl. I have to say take it. I don't make him sit because he has bad hips and has a hard time getting up on the slippery floor but he does another command. The door we go out for walks has a carpet. He also has to stay out of the kitchen when we eat. He does get a bite usually afterwards but not always. And I am working on him not bolting up or flinching as soon as we stand up haha so I guess I maybe call it something different but I am still mostly in charge or becoming more so. The next dog I will start right and be in charge from the beginning, leaving no question. We messed up a lot with him. And actually as for the ball and going out thing, I think next dog will sit before going out (Gator doesn't cause, again, hips, he goes out from the kitchen) so I'm in charge even if it's when he wants to go out. I also plan on making them sit or do a lot of work/obedience practice for a ball or toy. But of course also working on wait/impulse control and that he doesn't always get everything the second he demands it. I am working on that with Gator too. He has some impulse control, like waiting for food and to go outside, but he demands playing and attention. Mostly he HAS to go out if Dad or my older brother does.. I don't let him out or I wait until he is quiet or lays down and is not barking and pawing at the door. Dad thinks it's cruel but I say it's cruel to let him get so anxious. SO. ANYWAY. Sorry, I probably should have just said thanks and not started this whole discussion because I believe similar things anyway but still haha

But I would have no problem providing structure and rules. I would also probably do puzzles/games, scentwork/scent games, and/or trick training and obedience so they don't get bored and can get a chance to work the mind not just body. And speaking of body, I would take them on long walks but I know that's often not enough so I might try running with them (though I hate running), hiking, or even biking, with them. And a fenced yard to run around. Plus I might try agility or flyball or some other dog sport with them. But a lot of the flyball and agility dogs are crazy and/or hyper and have no impulse control and bark and stuff so I would make sure mine had control and didn't get away with bad behavior. But some say it's just that they're hyped up and excited to run the course and maybe they run it faster. Idk if that's true but I guess I'd find out. I just can't stand these dogs being shits and getting away with it haha

So yeah, rules/structure and working with them are no problem. In fact, I want a dog who wants to work. Gator is lazy lol he does some stuff but still.

Back
Top Bottom