Cant tell chicks apart. Buff Orpington or EEs? updated with more pics on pg 2

dragonmorgan

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
South Alabama
We went and picked up 6 more chicks from the feed store today and I got 3 EEs (labeled as Amer chicks) and 2 buff orpingtons. I wasnt payin alot of attention when I was grabbing them. Just tryin to get the healthiest skittish looking ones (hopin for hens
fl.gif
) and when I got home and got to looking I cant tell them apart. they all look the same except for 2. One has white wing feathers and the other doesnt really have any wing feathers. The coloring on the feathers is white and light tan just like on my golden comets. I thought both BOs and EEs were darker brown birds so I figured the wing feathers would set them apart but the more I look the more they look the same. Im hopin that you experienced chicken people can help me out.

Mystery chick #1

Mystery Chick #2

Mystery Chick #3

Mystery chick #4 (with the white wing feathers)

Mystery Chick #5 (with tiny wing feathers)

Im pretty sure I got one BO roo because everytime Id reach in to grab a chick one would peck my fingers. DH found it very funny and made me get the pecky one lol. I dont know for sure which one it was tho because now that they are home and in the brooder its not doin it anymore. Any help would be appreciated and any sex guesses would be welcome also.

Last edited:
They all look like BOs to me, but then im new to chickens. I saw on the mcmurray videos that EEs have this brown mark next to the eye. Those chicks don't have it and all look like my BOs, except for the white feathering.

They are all around the color you might expect from hatchery BOs. Especially with those pink legs.

I have a whitish EE, and she was paler than my BO as a chick, but she also had green legs.

Ugh. Do all EEs have colored legs? Mines legs are all pink. I didnt see any with colored legs. I really hope i got EEs and not a bunch of BOs from 2 different bins lol. Could they be something else. They were labeled ameraucanas. Could that be what they are?

Easter Eggers are mixed breed chickens that carry the dominate blue egg gene. They have no standard, and come in any appearance (due to their mixed heritage), and can lay any egg color. Hatcheries only sell Easter Eggers, which they often falsely advertise as Ameraucanas.
It doesn't look like you have any Easter Eggers. It does appear that you may have two Buff Orpingtons #1 and #3. The other chicks look like a production hybrid (mixed colored feathers), or possibly a white rock (if they have solid white feathers)

Last edited:
I checked their combs and the one with the white feathers and the one with short white feathers have pea combs. the other 3 have single combs.

I think you may have 3 BOs and 2 white rocks....they look exactly like the babies I have of those breeds, and nothing like my ameraucaunas. They had stripey backs and looked like chipmunks.

Back
Top Bottom