Changed behaviour.

Mother goose101

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2023
I have 2 ebden geese (males) hand raised from day olds. They are 6 months old now. When they were 4 months old we went away for 10 days and the neighbours fed and watered them. When we returned the ‘boys’ were very standoffish, wouldn’t let me touch them. Previously they would snuggle on my lap for as long as I had the time to sit with them. I can’t even pat them now. One of them actually hissed at me, wings outstretched and very threatening when I was trying to herd his brother into another area. They have NEVER hissed at me before. They come over to me when I go into the yard and make all the noise, necks outstretched and eat the apples from my hand and sometimes will follow me around but they won’t come sit with me like they use to. I’m heartbroken. I don’t know if my company is stressing them, whether I need to spend more time with them or just let them alone. Any advice would be appreciated.

I left for a week once and when I came back some of my geese were the same way. They probably figured I was dead and then were freaked out when I rose from the dead. Parsnip when he’d gotten over the initial shock was angry with me for awhile and even bit me a few times, he was like a child who felt like he’d been abandoned and then felt like he needed to punish me for it.

Ganders are extra spicy this year regardless, but they’re probably upset that you left also. They’ll get over it, just give them time and sit with them.

Hiss back its time to re-gain the pecking order. Its ok geese are all about pecking order and without you they established a new one. This time of year most of my ganders hiss at me. When they do it I lower my head make them walk away sometimes hiss back. Next month they will all be thanking me for filling there ponds and calling me to come out and play.
Its a little crazy right now as I walk out with a gosling to take to the brooder pen they all greet me with a hiss showing wiggling tong. There actually asking for the gosling. After-all its theirs even if I hatched it. Give it back..... Mine... Geese are incredible...

Back
Top Bottom