Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Greetings all ! Moved from the country to the city , the French side of the river in Canada’s capital city of Ottawa. Luckily they have a bylaw here that allows for 5 hens ! Had a tough winter in 2023 , first I suddenly lost my favourite lady to egg bind and then a couple of my girls Got sick and slowly passed regardless of my many efforts. Before that I had almost felt invincible using this forum and it’s information to help with healing and protection of my ladies so these deaths were a real blow to my confidence . I managed to keep 3 of my other girls safe and healthy so that helped get my passion back and I am now finally feeling ready to start over with some baby chicks. My first time starting from chick so wish me luck! ( I had to isolate the runt since the others had nearly taken out her eye)

Attachments

• BD131811-F580-453B-BB68-3662DB5EFAF1.jpeg
    BD131811-F580-453B-BB68-3662DB5EFAF1.jpeg
    767.3 KB · Views: 2
Still here also! Super busy these days. Have 8 backyard girls. Rehabbed an almost lame chick and she's probably our favorite. (She can walk now, but thinks she is a dog...)

Attachments

• IMG_5157.jpg
    IMG_5157.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 2
Still here and currently have 14 chickens!
3 white leghorns
1 partridge rock rooster
1 olive egger
3 turkens
2 Ameraucanas
3 prairie bluebells
1 partridge rock/production red mix

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
It's been going good. Unfortunately all of my ducks and chickens but 1 have passed away but geese are definitely my new hobby. I have two more sebastopols this year and 6 more chickens. I still have my turkey hens and my older geese.

Attachments

• 20240404_132200.jpg
    20240404_132200.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240426_204521.jpg
    20240426_204521.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 1
Hi again y'all! Sorry I haven't been around lately. I'm still loving my feather babies and this spring I have chickens and guineas hatched! I will post some pictures of them as soon as I can!
Hope everyone is doing well and safe and happy! <3
Will you house the guineas with the chickens or in separate coops?

What is a fairy egg? Never heard of that! lol
This is what I got when I asked my phone: "A fairy egg is an egg that is missing the yolk. It occurs when a hen's body begins to form an egg before a yolk is released from her oviduct. Therefore, only the white (albumen) is encased inside the shell. Fairy eggs are considered rare and are often smaller in size compared to regular eggs."

Just had two broody hens for the for the first time ever (Black Cochin's). One hatched all hers (11, one egg got crushed) and the other hatched 1, crushed 3 eggs, and pecked 1, abandoning the others in the cold the last 4 days. The eggs were very cold and in 40 degree weather over night. I incubated them and they all have hatched save two, one died and the other isn't ready yet.

Images are of the first one, the broody mommas Reese (left) and Brownie (right), the second picture is of Reese's little brood in process.

All of this during the last few weeks of seminary, papers and exams and preaching.
Wow! So cool that they hatched despite the cold temps!

Back
Top Bottom