Chick born without part of its beak?

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Yesterday after over 24 hours i assisted a chick in hatching. And she is doing ok, but i noticed part of her upper beak/nostril isnt there. Is there something i should put on it? She isnt in with the other chicks yet as they peck at it.
20240508_090728.jpg

Awe, so cute!

As long as she's breathing okay, and can eat/drink okay, I think I'd just leave it be and see what it looks like a week or two from now. I would give them all vitamin water, like Poultry Cell a couple times a week. She might need extra vitamins to help her body trying to mend that.

I'm not understanding what they are seeing to peck at, but perhaps that's just chicks being chicks and pecking at everything.

Awe, so cute!

As long as she's breathing okay, and can eat/drink okay, I think I'd just leave it be and see what it looks like a week or two from now. I would give them all vitamin water, like Poultry Cell a couple times a week. She might need extra vitamins to help her body trying to mend that.

I'm not understanding what they are seeing to peck at, but perhaps that's just chicks being chicks and pecking at everything.
She is breathing ok, and has started drinking on her own. I do give electrolyte water with plain water in the brooder.

Im not quite seeing what they want to peck either. Im continuing to gradually get her in with the others

Thanks

Yesterday after over 24 hours i assisted a chick in hatching. And she is doing ok, but i noticed part of her upper beak/nostril isnt there. Is there something i should put on it? She isnt in with the other chicks yet as they peck at it. View attachment 3825427
Do you know what breed she is? Or if she's a mix, what parent breeds might be involved?

As I look at the photo, it looks to me like she might just have a different kind of comb-- some of them can look pretty odd when they hatch.

Do you know what breed she is? Or if she's a mix, what parent breeds might be involved?

As I look at the photo, it looks to me like she might just have a different kind of comb-- some of them can look pretty odd when they hatch.
A Russian Orloff. The lady i got them from has her older flock of Orloffs in a different coop/run than her newer flock. and this one is from her older flock. Which i had a chick from.

A Russian Orloff. The lady i got them from has her older flock of Orloffs in a different coop/run than her newer flock. and this one is from her older flock. Which i had a chick from.
Hmm. Orloffs should have little flat combs, but I don't think that would explain what you described and what I'm seeing in the picture. Just figured I'd check :)

Hmm. Orloffs should have little flat combs, but I don't think that would explain what you described and what I'm seeing in the picture. Just figured I'd check :)
Thats why I was a bit worried. But she is doing ok. Hopefully it will grow normally

Back
Top Bottom