Chicks won't go to sleep!

Newfarmer36

Songster
Dec 31, 2017
West Monroe, Louisiana
I bought 3 chicks this weekend. Not the really small ones. They're a few months old I think. Anyway, it's freezing outside and it snowed today so I brought them in and put them in my laundry room. Plus, the older chickens were being mean to them so they were staying huddled up in the corner of the coop. It's after dark. My hens and roosters are asleep in their coop. But these 3 little things are chirping away! How do I get them to chill out and get some rest?!
Oh! And they started making this weird sound today. I don't know what that's about.
Watch "My baby chicken making weird noises" on YouTube

Housing chicks and full grown chickens will likely kill the new ones. You should separate them, put a brooder light on them and allow space. Chicks will settle in and 'sleep' at night, but if they're peeping excessively all night they are too hot, too cold, hungry, etc...

Housing chicks and full grown chickens will likely kill the new ones. You should separate them, put a brooder light on them and allow space. Chicks will settle in and 'sleep' at night, but if they're peeping excessively all night they are too hot, too cold, hungry, etc...
These are the chicks. They're not the tiny ones.

Attachments

• 20180114_195644.jpg
    20180114_195644.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 196
That's the happy, sleepy chick sound they make as they settle in for the night. Keep their sleeping area dark and they should settle down and go to sleep eventually.
Actually, my husband went in and turned the light off and told them to get to sleep and they've gotten almost all the way silent. So I guess they just needed the light off?

Back
Top Bottom