Crackly sounding chirp new chicks, normal?

Got three baby chicks today. From a local breeder. Two were jubilee orpingtons and one a blue laced red wyandotte. The two orpingtons when they chirp, it sounds like there's some light mucus in their nose or possibly the throat/chest maybe. It's not real bad but noticable. Saw some blowing off and on earlier as if to clear the nasal cavity without any fluid being seen then or now. Do they possibly have a rougher chirp than my wyandottes ? I currently have wyandottes and olive eggers that we've had for about a month. And none of them sounded like that. They seem otherwise healthy. I just got them today and the breeder said they were 2 to 3 days old. Advice, kernels of knowledge? Thanks

So they already were acting like this when you got them and it didn't appear after getting them? I wonder if the breeder has something respiratory going around in their birds.
What bedding did the breeder use, if you know? What bedding are you using?
You can upload a video to YouTube and post the link here so we can hear how they sound.

They seem to be ok. I think it's just a little different chirping for the breed. No more blowing or anything. Might of been dusty conditions. He was delivering 200 chicks to Missouri and we met him in town which we were going to anyway in our bimonthly supply/grocery run. He had been on the road for 3 hours and they were secure in an enclosed trailer. They're hardy currently.

They seem to be ok. I think it's just a little different chirping for the breed. No more blowing or anything. Might of been dusty conditions. He was delivering 200 chicks to Missouri and we met him in town which we were going to anyway in our bimonthly supply/grocery run. He had been on the road for 3 hours and they were secure in an enclosed trailer. They're hardy currently.
I'm glad they're better!
It probably was just from dusty conditions.

Back
Top Bottom