Crop keeps filling with fluid?

higuy1375

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
Hi all
One of my chickens, about a year old, had its crop fill with fluid. I gave it an epson salt bath and thought it had sour crop. I admistered vomiting it but it did it very reluctantly, and thevomit was dark in color and very gritty and only a little came out at a time. I thought I drained the crop, I let her sit for an hour because she was very puffy and sleepy and when I came back the crop was completely filled again. I admistered vomit again and it did with the same results and I came back again about an hour later and she was the same. I don't want to keep having her vomit if she doesn't need to. Shes constantly puffy and sleepy and burps occasionally. Could she have crop impaction by chance? What is wrong with her?

Vomiting a chicken is very dangerous and can result in aspiration, and choking to death. Did the crop contents smell sour or rotten? What do you feed her including any treats? Do you have granite poultry grit available for them to take as needed? I would provide clean water and add some electrolytes if you have some. Always provide water, but I would not feed her until in the morning when you check the crop again. If the crop empties some, you could offer a little raw egg and a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt with cultures. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Vomiting a chicken is very dangerous and can result in aspiration, and choking to death. Did the crop contents smell sour or rotten? What do you feed her including any treats? Do you have granite poultry grit available for them to take as needed? I would provide clean water and add some electrolytes if you have some. Always provide water, but I would not feed her until in the morning when you check the crop again. If the crop empties some, you could offer a little raw egg and a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt with cultures. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
The contents didn't really smell at all really, to my knowledge all she's had to eat was narures best organic feed and some grass when we let them graze, I have oyster shell available alone with some vetrx as well if i should mix that in some water to give to her? Depending on the condition of her crop, what factors should I give her yogurt and egg or not?

Back
Top Bottom