Garbanzo beans?

farmerlor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 25, 2008
middle of nowhere Colorado
A friend of mine gave me some canned goods and stuff when she was cleaning out her pantry. We got a couple of cans of garbanzo beans. I have no clue what to do with them and it was suggested that I feed them to the girlies. Will canned garbanzo beans hurt the chickens? Beans in general? Are garbanzo beans even beans?

Garbanzo beans are chick peas. I would think they would be ok as long as they aren't a choking hazard.
idunno.gif

Shelly

They might be a bit too salty for your chooks. Put them on salad, or dump them in soup for yourself! If you do decide to give them to the chooks, perhaps rinsing them would get rid of some of the salt.

I use my chickens as a garbage disposal for any food that is not moldy or otherwise spoiled, and they LOVE beans of any kind-- great protein source. I would not be worried about the salt content of a couple cans personally, but my chicken feeding attitude is a bit laissez-faire.

Garbanzo beans are awesome for HUMANS processed into hummus, a middle eastern bean dip served with pita bread or corn chips:

HUMMUS
1 15 oz can chickpeas drained, reserve 1/4 cup juice
1 cloves garlic minced
1-2 tsp lemon
½ teaspoon salt
1/2-1 tsp ground cumin
2 tablespoons tahini
1-2 Tablespoons virgin olive oil

Place all ingredients in your food processor with the S blade and puree to a smooth creamy consistency. Garnish with paprika, olives, or parsley and drizzle with olive oil.

well of course chicks can have CHICK PEAS!...
gig.gif
.....heehe...i am sure it wont hurt them though, as they are basically already cooked...BUT..i would smash them all up with a fork..just for a choking percaution..

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea. self-stuffing and self- processing birds. If we added some jalapeno would they self-cook as well.
Imp-hungrily

Quote:
I figured someone would beat me to saying OMG make Hummus!!! YUMMY!!!! My favorite is with roasted red peppers blended in.
droolin.gif
It is goooooooood stuff. Even my kids love it!!!

Back
Top Bottom