Grumpy turkey

Stonelakemomma3

Songster
5 Years
Jul 21, 2018
I have a 4 week old black Spanish Turkey who I’m almost 100% sure is a male. He’s super grumpy all of a sudden. He originally had 2 others with him (also males) we can only have 2 & have a small property. He was the loner turkey the entire time so we chose to keep him since he seemed fine alone. Anyways now he won’t let anyone touch him or he bites and goes completely insane for a good hour after being put to bed. Should I try to find a female for him or is this normal behavior?
*picture of the grumpy turkey sleeping so sweetly on my couch😂

Attachments

• 2E6AC634-7C1B-4C6C-8510-71F05913C31A.jpeg
    2E6AC634-7C1B-4C6C-8510-71F05913C31A.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 19
I have a 4 week old black Spanish Turkey who I’m almost 100% sure is a male. He’s super grumpy all of a sudden. He originally had 2 others with him (also males) we can only have 2 & have a small property. He was the loner turkey the entire time so we chose to keep him since he seemed fine alone. Anyways now he won’t let anyone touch him or he bites and goes completely insane for a good hour after being put to bed. Should I try to find a female for him or is this normal behavior?
*picture of the grumpy turkey sleeping so sweetly on my couch😂
I would rehome it to someone that already has turkeys. You have imprinted it and if it does turn out to be a male, that is going to be dangerous to have it around.

Turkeys are very social animals and don't do well alone. It's current behavior is only going to get worse as it gets older.

They pack quite a punch when they are grown. The turkey is imprinted and has no fear of you. If it is already acting aggressive at 4 weeks old I would hate to see how aggressive he is going go be towards you when he is grown. You can try getting him a turkey companion around the same age and hope that helps. It is never wise to keep a turkey alone. They are pretty sensitive. If the aggression continues into adulthood, I personally would eat him. You can butcher them around 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom