KILLDEER EGGS

Tobirae26

Hatching
Mar 31, 2021
I found four killdeer eggs while riding my dirt bike today , we didn’t run them over but the nest was definitely disturbed and the eggs were apart from eachother ! I waited a good distance away for a long time and the parents did not show so I left for a while and then came back and hour or two later and they were not moved . So I brought them home ! I need help on how to care for the eggs anything helps !!!!!

I don't know how many folks here have experience with caring for wild bird eggs, which may already be in trouble if they haven't been kept warm enough. Can you Google to find any wildlife or avian rescue groups in your area? Or, a local office of the Department of Natural Resources?

I've done that in the past with fallen baby robins and a stunned juvenile horned owl in my yard.

Good luck, and even if things don't work out, I applaud you for trying to take care of the eggs.

Hi Tobirae! :celebrate:welcome :frow

It’s great that you’ve found us! I hope you’ll feel welcome here!

Idk about killdeer eggs specifically, but there are laws in all 50 states that prohibit interfering with wild birds (especially songbirds and/or migratory birds) or their nests... even to rescue them. Interference is interference, period.

You should try hard to find a wildlife rehabilitation organization/facility or call your state’s “fish & game” agency, which could be known as:
  • Division/Dep’t of Naural Resources
  • Environmental Protection Commission/Agency
  • Dep’t of Wildlife, Fish, & Game
  • Division of Fish & Wildlife Resources
  • Dep’t of Environmental Affairs
  • Office of Environmental Conservation
  • Wildlife, Game & Fisheries Commission
  • Wildlife Resources Agency
  • Dep’t of Wildlife Conservation
  • Dep’t of Wildlife Management
The agency for your state might be called something else. It’s frequently the same office that issues hunting or fishing license.

Even if taking the eggs is illegal in your state, you don’t have to be afraid to call the wildlife agency or a rehabber. They aren’t looking to jam you up over a few eggs. (If it became a habit... then you’d have to worry. But once... yeah, :confused: nope— they’ve got actual bad guys to deal with.

You clearly want to do what’s best for these eggs... and the best thing is to get them into the hands of pro’s.

Good luck! It would be awesome if you could come back & let us know what happens. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom