Large cochin hen, @ 3 years old, found dead this morning in nesting box. Insight appreciated....

Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
Thanks in advance for any insight or possible explanations. I just want to know if I need to change how I am taking care of my flock. She seemed fine day before yesterday, and possibly even yesterday as well, according to my daughter. It is unusually humid and hot this morning and last summer she seemed to struggle with the heat. Her vent looked prolapsed when i examined her this morning, but no egg protruding. I think she must have been straining to lay an egg this morning when she died. I provide oyster shell so wondering if this was an infection. She was an easygoing, big gal, who was struggled a bit to keep up with the flock due to her size, but otherwise seemed fine.

Sorry to hear about your birdie. Had she been laying regularly up until today?
Thank you! I know its just part of having a flock (and have had 2 die in the past year), so am starting to handle it a bit better. I believe she was laying...i hate to admit this, but not completely certain. I have 18 hens, and some of the eggs look so similar. I do collect daily, but sometimes my daughter collects for me. And we've had 3 hens go broody, so its gotten a bit hectic. I guess I should start to really notice who is laying which egg and marking them so i know.

It's okay - sometimes it's hard to keep up. A 3 year old hen is likely to start going down the path of reproductive/egg issues, and since she was in the nesting box, I'm guessing that she had trouble laying an egg due to an underlying problem...

It's okay - sometimes it's hard to keep up. A 3 year old hen is likely to start going down the path of reproductive/egg issues, and since she was in the nesting box, I'm guessing that she had trouble laying an egg due to an underlying problem...
Thank you! That is what I am thinking now. At first, I wondered if it was the heat, but its still spring and I had a fan going in the coop. I'm thinking now she might have had trouble laying an egg, poor thing. Appreciate your insight!

Big, fluffy chickens can have trouble in the heat. Every year when they're adapting to it again is a stressful time. It can also be exacerbated by an underlying heart problem, which the big breeds are prone to.
But 3 years old is a good age for a chicken. You shouldn't blame yourself... a lot of us have trouble keeping track of who laid what, when. If they would just stamp the things with their names on them that would be helpful.

Big, fluffy chickens can have trouble in the heat. Every year when they're adapting to it again is a stressful time. It can also be exacerbated by an underlying heart problem, which the big breeds are prone to.
But 3 years old is a good age for a chicken. You shouldn't blame yourself... a lot of us have trouble keeping track of who laid what, when. If they would just stamp the things with their names on them that would be helpful.
Thank you for such a kind comment! I'm glad to hear that 3 years is a good age for a chicken. I see such a wide variety of responses on that. I love the large, fluffy breeds, but it was a bit foolhardy for me to aquire some for the hot, humid south. And I'm glad to know its common to not know which hen laid which egg. I used to sneak inside the coop to quiety watch them lay. But between the hens staring at me like they wanted privacy, and the young rooster flogging me, I quit going in to watch that process. Plus the noise! But now I am kind of curious to start to know more re which egg belongs to whom. I have an idea about some, although some similar breeds i think it will be hard to know.

Thank you for such a kind comment! I'm glad to hear that 3 years is a good age for a chicken. I see such a wide variety of responses on that. I love the large, fluffy breeds, but it was a bit foolhardy for me to aquire some for the hot, humid south.

I adore the floof too! And live in Florida, lol.
English Orpingtons are my favorite, but I also love blue eggs. So I'm in the midst of a multi-year project started with pure Ams and our dearly departed English Orpington rooster. The mix are all rather floofy as well. But besides the down parkas, there are other (unknown) genes involved in heat tolerance, heart health ranking high in there I imagine. So I'm breeding both the prettiest and the healthiest. I wouldn't call them heat hardy or bred for the south, but on the other hand with a little coddling they can handle it (deep shade, cool water).

Our eldest hen (pure Am) is 5 this year, and while I'm happy to have her around, I see she has some arthritis issues. While 8-15 years old is possible for chickens, I've always had trouble imagining those being happy healthy years. I'm sure there are exceptions. But as long as the years they do live are full of chicken joy, it's worth it.

I adore the floof too! And live in Florida, lol.
English Orpingtons are my favorite, but I also love blue eggs. So I'm in the midst of a multi-year project started with pure Ams and our dearly departed English Orpington rooster. The mix are all rather floofy as well. But besides the down parkas, there are other (unknown) genes involved in heat tolerance, heart health ranking high in there I imagine. So I'm breeding both the prettiest and the healthiest. I wouldn't call them heat hardy or bred for the south, but on the other hand with a little coddling they can handle it (deep shade, cool water).

Our eldest hen (pure Am) is 5 this year, and while I'm happy to have her around, I see she has some arthritis issues. While 8-15 years old is possible for chickens, I've always had trouble imagining those being happy healthy years. I'm sure there are exceptions. But as long as the years they do live are full of chicken joy, it's worth it.
I didnt realize other genes involved in heat tolerance! That is good to know. I will say a couple of my non floofy girls seem to pant in the heat, so it makes sense there are other factors!
That is so neat that you breed for that in Fla! I have an Orpington hen, and she is a sweetheart. Ill have to look up.3nglish Orpingtons. My roo is wonderful with the hens, but seems to despise humans. He tolerates me now...for the most part.
We have deep shade here, and I provide lots of water. And fans. Ive thought about an ac window unit for the coop just for emergencies, but my husband said no way.

Back
Top Bottom