Mixing new ducklings with older ducks? *Update #13*

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
I have 4 five-week old ducklings and 5 four-month old ducks. I've been keeping the ducklings in the duck pen but in their own little tractor cage. They are quickly outgrowing it and I let them loose in the pen today and locked the big ducks out (during the day; at night everyone is locked up). The big ducks seem very curious about the little ones but will they hurt them if I put them together? They've been together now for a couple weeks but always separated by wire. I really want to let them loose in the yard with the others but I'm afraid...

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd say try it, just stay close and observe. When I introduce my babies there is always some squabbling and feather pulling but nothing serious. The only weird thing I have noticed is I thought they would all form one big flock after an initial adjustment period but they haven't. They separate themselves into the groups they were in a brooder with.

There is quite a gap between the sizes of the ducks at this point I would guess. So I second putting them together while you can watch them for a while and keep them separate at night. When you feel confidant not watching them let them be together in an area where there is plenty of room for the little ones to hide. A lot of fighting has to do with territory so allowing them lots of space reduces the tension.

I am so glad you posted this! I was wondering the same thing. I have my 3, 4 wk old ducks, in a small tractor and I gradually move it closer to my 3, 9 wk olds. I made the mistake of letting one of the little guys go for a swim, my 9 wk. old welsh harlequin dove in the pool and tried to drown the poor little thing! The guy at farmers market where I got my last 3 from, said oh they will be fine together!! I didn't think so, I'm glad I just let 1 go in the pool! I never seen my W/H move so fast.

Thanks all - I've heard that ducks aren't as nasty as chickens with the whole pecking order thing
hu.gif
When I first put the ducklings in their tractor, the big ones kept circling it trying to figure out what they were. They still do that to a point but not as intense as they did at the beginning. At first I thought it was cute but now I can't tell if they are doing it in a mean way or not.

The ducklings are so FAST that they could probably outrun the big ducks but I'm also worried I'd never catch them to lock them back up! Oh the dilemmas!!

All you can do is try. When we first put the ducklings in with the adults, the adults kept them out of the inside which is open to the run 24/7 (no door). They did this for a couple of days. But if the adults wanted food/water, they had to go into the run. Eventually they get along fine. But I also see that when they are free-ranging they still tend to see they stay in their own groups like taraann81 said. We have 3 more ducklings we are getting ready to add with the adults now. We let them free-range with the others and they too like to stay in their own group.

I agree with the advice you've gotten here. My experience has been that as long as the two factions have sufficient space to get away from one another, they do pretty well. I also put out two different waterers at separate locations so that no one group can keep the other away. I would continue keeping them apart at night until they get about the same size.

Well, tomorrow's the big day
fl.gif
The little ones want and need out of the pen so I'm going to try it. My other fear is not being able to get them back in at night. I'm hoping they follow the big ones back in at dark. Am I hoping for too much?
hu.gif

Quote:
A 5-week-old duck and a 4-month old duck would be almost the same size.

I would seriously doubt that the older ones would hurt the little ones, but you never know. Just watch them. A little bit of biting or nibbling, chasing, etc, is normal, but if the older ones get to rough you may have to remove them. I did this once, and it was my older ones that were scared to death of the babies
roll.png

I bet you're right Shelley - I wouldn't be surprised if the big ones are afraid of the little ones! The big ones are silver Appleyards so there really is a substantial size difference but the little ones are alot faster!

Working up my nerve...think I'll have my coffee first!

Back
Top Bottom