My duckling injured her bill

My15Ducks

Songster
May 17, 2023
Hawaii
My 5 week old duckling, Speck, injured her bill yesterday. I don’t think it’s too serious but I’d appreciate any opinions. Do I need to worry more 😬

In the morning I saw a streak of blood on her bill so I cleaned it and discovered a tiny poke, like slightly larger than a pinhole. I put some antibiotic ointment on it but I noticed the surrounding area was swollen and today it is more swollen, like the size of a dry bean on top of her bill. I’m thinking it’s either bruising or a blood blister? I hope it will just subside and be fine but if there’s anything else I should be doing..

Speck is eating and drinking and behaving normally. She is the runt and has overcome a lot so I’m really sad this happened. I’m guessing she scratched it on the chicken wire. I don’t know what else could have happened.

I circled the swollen area in the photo

Attachments

• BE3ECC30-96C1-4817-9DB0-20C0D09E0C13.jpeg
    BE3ECC30-96C1-4817-9DB0-20C0D09E0C13.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 23
Hmm, could you get another picture? Maybe from the side?
The grey lump is the swollen area. Fortunately it doesn’t look worse today.

She also has an eye infection which I’m treating with terramycin and saline rinse daily. I don’t think it’s related and her eyes look better today. The reason she has an eye infection is probably because she refuses to dunk her head under water.. she’s an odd baby
3F8CA392-8AA3-4531-B2AB-085941D2DA90.jpeg
78BE1446-5EBF-4808-86BB-8EEE1856300C.jpeg

The grey lump is the swollen area. Fortunately it doesn’t look worse today.

She also has an eye infection which I’m treating with terramycin and saline rinse daily. I don’t think it’s related and her eyes look better today. The reason she has an eye infection is probably because she refuses to dunk her head under water.. she’s an odd baby
View attachment 3827248View attachment 3827249
Hm, I not sure what do for the bill. @Miss Lydia?

You're doing great on treating for the eye infection. Keep that up! Poor thing. She is a cutie! Strange she won't dunk her head underwater.

Hm, I not sure what do for the bill. @Miss Lydia?

You're doing great on treating for the eye infection. Keep that up! Poor thing. She is a cutie! Strange she won't dunk her head underwater.
@Miss Lydia has been helping me with Speck since she first hatched🥰

Speck has a water phobia. I’m trying to help her overcome it but it’s a big challenge

Could that be a blood blister? Bless Speck she doesn't realize she is a duck that is suppose to love water. Good to hear her eyes are looking better. Try a bowl of warm water just to see if Speck would use it to dunk her face.

Back
Top Bottom