Nutridrench - how much/how often for an adult hen

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
I have a sick 7 year old BO hen.
She's not going to drink water, so I'll need to give it via dropper.

The bottle says 1cc per 3 pounds. That seems like a lot.
It also doesn't say how often.

She's got a very squishy/swollen abdomen. Not eating (though will still eat egg yolks raw and diced up tomato (like just one grape tomato and she's had enough). Not really pooping much and what she is pooping is liquid.
I've given her molasses, coconut oil, epsom salt bath - the local AG vet suggested poly vi sol vitamins, but could only find that with Iron, so decided to get nutridrench a try, but not really sure how much/how often.
Help please.

1 cc per 3 pounds for rapid response. I usually drizzle it on scrambled eggs and administer it that way.

Attachments

• poultry_nutri_directions.jpg
    poultry_nutri_directions.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 143
The standard dosage of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell is 1 ml per pound daily. It can be put into water, but it is more economical to give it orally. It can cause diarrhea if given for a long period of time. I would limit it to 5 days. Vitamin B Complex tablets can be a good vitamin product that has all B vitamins—thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, etc. Dosage is 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily crushed into food or water.

It sounds like your hen may be suffering from ascites or water belly, or some other reproductive disorder. Ascites is also caused by heart failure, cancer, and liver disease. These are all common problems in older hens.

It sounds like your hen may be suffering from ascites or water belly, or some other reproductive disorder. Ascites is also caused by heart failure, cancer, and liver disease. These are all common problems in older hens.

That's what I'm leaning toward as well, but she's my oldest hen now and she's survived a few predator attacks (well, she was sitting on eggs while predators were getting others) and some fluff pulling by a new dog who decided he was no longer afraid of the chickens but thought they might be fun play things.
So I'll try to do what I can, but I think it isn't going to help :(
I lost a duck to old age last year and she was 9. This is the last girl from my first round of chickens.

I gave her 1 cc and then gave her an egg yolk. She seemed very interested in the yolk. But then seemed like the lingering taste of nutri-drench wasn't worth eating the rest of it. Figured I'd give her another 1 cc later today. With an egg yolk or scrambled eggs before dosing her.

Really all you need is one drop of Poultry Nutri Drench orally twice a day for no more than 5 days. It is very rich in vitamins and minerals and contain molasses as you already know. Too much molasses will cause diarrhea which you dont want to happen with your hen. It would be defeating the purpose of trying to help and save your hen.
I'm sorry to say that I have to agree with Eggcessive regarding your hen having waterbelly. You might have to make a tough decision about her quality of life. There is no cure for waterbelly.
I wish you the best.

Some people who like to do their own vet care will get a large 16 gauge needle and syringe, and clean off the skin with disinfectant, and remove some of the ascites fluid occaionally to help reduce the pressure. It can help with breathing, and may help her food move through the digestive organs. Many hens with ascites suffer from slow moving crops and digestion, and frequently suffer crop disorders (sour or impacted crop.) Here is a video showing someone draining their hen:

And another with the same person:

Some people who like to do their own vet care will get a large 16 gauge needle and syringe, and clean off the skin with disinfectant, and remove some of the ascites fluid occaionally to help reduce the pressure. It can help with breathing, and may help her food move through the digestive organs. Many hens with ascites suffer from slow moving crops and digestion, and frequently suffer crop disorders (sour or impacted crop.) Here is a video showing someone draining their hen:

While I wouldn't be able to do this (I can't even vaccinate my own dogs and couldn't do vaccinations when I worked at the shelter - and I have to look away when I get needles), but my husband probably could.
I know it won't cure the problem and she'll die eventually as a result, but what does draining off fluid really do for her? Allow her to get back to normal for a bit and eat/be a chicken for a while? She seems ok - comb is still up and red, just uncomfortable. She slowly meandered a bit yesterday and pecked the ground a little bit, but basically she just stays in the bird house sitting in a corner. If draining fluid would give her comfort and allow her to be a chicken again for a while, I would consider trying to drain her (or DH would have to)

Belly pics were hard. I couldn't really get it. But her belly sits in my hand and it is toasty warm. It's like holding a small soccer ball.
I moved her from the bird house out into the sun. She found a spot to soak up some heat for a bit.
Her comb does seem to have a bit of a blue tint to it...
IMG_20200130_095239.jpg IMG_20200130_095231.jpg

Belly pic as I was holding her
IMG_20200130_095354.jpg

From behind as she was walking
IMG_20200130_095428.jpg

IMG_20200130_095757.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom