Pekin layed two soft shelled eggs after one hard shelled egg.

Pekincatt

Hatching
Apr 26, 2024
Hello! I have a question about soft shelled eggs. My Pekin who will be one next month has laid two soft shelled eggs after her normal egg this morning. That would be 3 total today. She had laid one this morning and by 4pm she was puffed up and laid two soft shelled eggs. I will include a photo. I feed her oyster shells for calcium, so I'm not sure if I'm not giving enough or lacking in something else. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240426_165512.jpg
    20240426_165512.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
It can happen, what are you feeding are ? My Buff laid a soft shell last week and boy it takes a lot out of them, I gave her 1 ml of Calcium gluconate when I brought her in to the coop. It is really good to have on hand for these type of things and to also get an egg moving if one is having trouble laying. Hopefully it was just a clitch and she is laying 1 egg again. :welcome @Pekincatt

It can happen, what are you feeding are ? My Buff laid a soft shell last week and boy it takes a lot out of them, I gave her 1 ml of Calcium gluconate when I brought her in to the coop. It is really good to have on hand for these type of things and to also get an egg moving if one is having trouble laying. Hopefully it was just a clitch and she is laying 1 egg again. :welcome @Pekincatt
I feed flock raiser pellets because I also have one male pekin. I was also getting work done yesterday so the loud noise could of stressed her out. Today I increased my oyster shells and I'm going to give some more greens in their diet. I was also thinking it could be cause she's young and hasn't been laying for a year. Where did you purchase the calcium gluconate? Thank you for taking the time to respond!!

Most TSC have it since I don’t have one close I have to order but shipping is outrageous now so hopefully you can find it local. The loud noise could have and if she just started back laying that can cause it. It’s always a good idea to have the calcium gluconate on hand instead of needing it and trying to find it. And sometimes they just need a little more boost and that is another reason to have cal glu.

Most TSC have it since I don’t have one close I have to order but shipping is outrageous now so hopefully you can find it local. The loud noise could have and if she just started back laying that can cause it. It’s always a good idea to have the calcium gluconate on hand instead of needing it and trying to find it. And sometimes they just need a little more boost and that is another reason to have cal glu.
I do have a local TSC. I will definitely take a look and see if I can find it. Thanks again for the help!:)

Back
Top Bottom