Porcelain Silkies

Pics

KinderKorner

Songster
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Southern Illinois
Alright. So I am purchasing a pair of Porcelain silkies from George Mihalik this fall. I've searched and searched, and there seems to be absolutely no information or pictures on these beautiful birds.

Is he the only breeder who has them?

If anyone has pictures, I would love to see them.

And also I am very interested in how the color is bred in. Sonaron Silkies... *wink wink*

Is there any interest for birds like these? I'm going to spend quite a bit of money for them. Am I going to be able to make my money back through hatching eggs and chick sales? How much does a dozen of these eggs go for?

For anyone who is interested in what they look like here is a picture from George.
100_1248-1_a1c8.png

Pretty looking bird but how can one tell that it's porcelain rather than lavender? Are there proper mille fleur silkies? I've never seen one. I expect they'd look interesting. To develop porcelain one would most likely make mille fleur silkies, then breed the lavender into them.

Last edited:
I am not sure Krys if they are 'proper procelain'. All I know is a few breeders have them. And they have named them Porcelain. He is a master breeder. I'm not sure how he got them. But they sure are pretty whatever they are.
tongue.png
Thanks for the useful information.

He calls them porcelain, so for the fact of not confuzing people I will call them such. Oh and to make it clear. I do not want to know how to produce proper porcelain, but the color of the bird in the picture above.

Thanks for the info Destiny I will look them up.

Seems to me that if you wanted to sell any of those gorgeous birds, all you would have to say is "George Mihalik" and they would get snapped up.
wink.png

It's very exciting to work on new color varieties of quality birds. Good luck in your project!

I can't recognise colours properly in silkies. The hookless feathering makes them look quite different to their normal feathered counterparts.
So what are porcelain silkies? Are they mille fleur with lavender. Do the porcelains have a pattern? Have mille fleur silkes been made?

I don't know Krys. I'm new to them. They confuze me too.
tongue.png

Maybe those are questions I will ask him when I contact him again about buying them.

Wolfie his are $50-$150 each for BQ. And $100-$500 each for SQ.

Oh and don't forget shipping which is $75.
wink.png

You might want to ask George more about how he breeds them. To most of us that breed for the show ring, those off colored birds would be considered PQ culls. I will admit they still are beautifull though.

George plays around with color alot! I know the splash and blues I've gotten from his lines all carry the lavendar. My old Shorty Polston whites were throwing red pyles and beautiful chinchilla greys too. I had no idea where that was coming from til I found out that Shorty used to do alot of trading with George.

Possibly George introduced the lavendar gene to a line of buffs and got them to this point. It reminds me of how some buffs get so light that they actually have white down instead of the clear buff. Replace that white with lavendar and it sure looks like what he calls porcelain.

Back
Top Bottom