Rooster has poop stuck on his bottom! Help!!

Yes that's what my husband told me this morning. We don't want him to be in pain and depressed. It's just hard because I got him when he was 2 weeks old.

I agree, personally I would cull any that aren't in the best of health. You don't want to run a hospital. Keep the strong healthy ones and cull all sickly birds. You will have healthier birds in the long run.

I agree, personally I would cull any that aren't in the best of health. You don't want to run a hospital. Keep the strong healthy ones and cull all sickly birds

Actually I will treat sick birds if I believe they have a slight hope of recovery and are still eating and drinking, but his vent is damaged beyond repair in my opinion. A wound that big on another part of the body might heal, but because of the nature of where it is, the size of it and the fact he is not eating would make the decision relatively straight forward. I know how hard it is to euthanize birds that you have raised or any animal for that matter (I recently had to have my 24 year old horse put to sleep which broke my heart), but you have to think about what is best for the animal. Of course I appreciate that for some people life is sacred, but personally I cannot bear to see a creature suffering when there is no hope.

Sincerest sympathies, whatever you decide. :hugs

rebrascora, I understand when there your pets. but when your a breeder you have to face the facts that some are just culls. I know I've had to put down some of my favorite ones and its no fun. My flock is very hardy and I've had Asils 33 years and counting. I love my chickens and breed only the very best ones and give alot away to good homes.

@bradymars

Yes, I'm sure you are right and culling sick birds is probably the best thing to do for the good of the flock, especially if they are not pets. I was just trying to reassure the OP that, even with an emotional attachment to the bird, it is what I would do in this case, because I genuinely feel there is no hope of fixing that.

I agree with Rebascora as well. The latest pictures show a very damaged vent, and as Sourland pointed out, that can be due to vent pecking, a prolapse, or flystrike. Even if you got him unplugged and he was able to poop, he would either not be able to do anything other than dribble poop constantly or not pass any at all. He probably has infection inside as well. I would also put him out of his misery. Very sorry that you are dealing with this.

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post was that it appeared in the last photos that there may have been a few maggots just right of the center of the photo, and some on the wet feathers to the left. It is always hard to say for sure looking at a picture, though.

Back
Top Bottom