Sand in coop/cats.

Taj MaHen

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2024
I’m wondering how those of you who free range and use sand in their coops and runs keep cats out of it. I was hoping to keep the run door open when I let them out but I can’t keep an eye on all of them and the pen. Tia!!!

Cats don't usually use a litter box when outside unless they consider it part of their personal territory. If you put some chili powder in the sand the cats would probably stay away from it.

Cats don't usually use a litter box when outside unless they consider it part of their personal territory. If you put some chili powder in the sand the cats would probably stay away from it.
Mine don’t have a litter box indoors, I live on 6 acres. They have a kitty door and have used outdoors as their “box” since they were old enough to go outside. Will chili powder bother my chickens if they scratch in it? Newbie here ( obviously 😆)

No, it won't bother the chickens. They don't have receptors for spicy things. I wouldn't do 1/2 sand and 1/2 chili, but probably a bit sprinkled around the sand area will deter them. Re apply after a rain.

Back
Top Bottom