Shaking/trembling but otherwise normal chick

Pitsnchicks

Hatching
May 8, 2024
Anyone have any idea what could be wrong with my little chick? They eat/drink/run/walk/jump up to roost seemingly normal but shake constantly. No weird poops in the brooder that I've seen.

This particular chick was abandoned by its mother who is "wild" so no idea exactly when it was born/breed. Have had them for about 3 days now and been the same the whole time.

Videos below;
Video 1
Video 2

It looks to be about a week old or so. Do you have a thermometer for the bottom of the brooder it's in? It should be at around 90F. It just looks cold to me.

I'd also give it some vitamin water every other day, as in Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell. I presume you have it on grower feed but might be lacking a lot of nutrients until now. It could be shaking from a vitamin deficiency as well.

Good luck. It's a cutie!

There are a few reasons. The first one being simply that they are cold. It could also be a respiratory infection that is causing it to do that. There are also various diseases that cause this. Are you raising it alone? It could be depressed, but usually it would not eat if it were. (By the way, I was unable to view the videos.)

Not raising it alone, there's 5 other chicks keeping them company.

Temp is good, they have a brooder plate and heat lamp at nights/mornings. This little one comes and goes from the heat sources so I don't think it's a temp issue.

Feed is scratch and peck chick starter. Bedding is pine.

Thanks for the rec of vitamin water, hopefully just some sort of deficiency since they came from the wild and nothing more serious.

They're my favorite of the bunch <3

Not raising it alone, there's 5 other chicks keeping them company.

Temp is good, they have a brooder plate and heat lamp at nights/mornings. This little one comes and goes from the heat sources so I don't think it's a temp issue.

Feed is scratch and peck chick starter. Bedding is pine.

Thanks for the rec of vitamin water, hopefully just some sort of deficiency since they came from the wild and nothing more serious.

They're my favorite of the bunch <3
I would not give them scratch though as they are much too young for it. First, they really, really need their nutrients they get from the chick starter to grow their bodies and organs properly and anything they eat instead of that is depriving them. Second, you have to provide grit when giving them anything besides chicken feed.

Generally, "treats" can be started when they are a month old, though most experts will suggest 6 weeks. I cheat and start at a month with a little scrambled egg and see how they handle that.

If any issues come up between now and a month or 6-weeks from now, we won't know if it's from the treats or something else, so I'd just suggest you stay away from them for now.

If momma raises these chicks, whether in the wild or in our back yard, we know they get all kinds of different things, but momma isn't raising them so they aren't getting the resistances to diseases and illnesses that they get from her raising them.

I would not give them scratch though as they are much too young for it. First, they really, really need their nutrients they get from the chick starter to grow their bodies and organs properly and anything they eat instead of that is depriving them. Second, you have to provide grit when giving them anything besides chicken feed.

Generally, "treats" can be started when they are a month old, though most experts will suggest 6 weeks. I cheat and start at a month with a little scrambled egg and see how they handle that.

If any issues come up between now and a month or 6-weeks from now, we won't know if it's from the treats or something else, so I'd just suggest you stay away from them for now.

If momma raises these chicks, whether in the wild or in our back yard, we know they get all kinds of different things, but momma isn't raising them so they aren't getting the resistances to diseases and illnesses that they get from her raising them.
Thank you for that info, I should clarify scratch and peck is the brand but it is a specific chick starter feed. I have grit ready but am holding off on that/treats until they're a little older as suggested.

The little one gets all around the brooder and hangs out with the others just fine so *fingers crossed* the shakes are nothing major and will resolve with proper nutrition/care.

I agree with what was mentioned earlier about a possible vitamin defiency. I am treating my own bird with one now. She was in a very bad way and couldn't even walk. She is now walking thank God! I used poultry cell and vitamin E and vitamin B2 drops mixtogether into a mash by adding water to her food. She is now only on the B2 drops for her muscles and bones. A month ago she was doing the splits vertical and couldn't bring her legs together. Be patient it takes awhile. Around 2 weeks or three you can see the difference. Hope this helps.

Thank you for that info, I should clarify scratch and peck is the brand but it is a specific chick starter feed. I have grit ready but am holding off on that/treats until they're a little older as suggested.

The little one gets all around the brooder and hangs out with the others just fine so *fingers crossed* the shakes are nothing major and will resolve with proper nutrition/care.
Ahh, okay. Thanks for the clarification on the name brand of the chick feed. I have heard of it but it didn't click with me when I read your post. You're doing great!!!

I agree with what was mentioned earlier about a possible vitamin defiency. I am treating my own bird with one now. She was in a very bad way and couldn't even walk. She is now walking thank God! I used poultry cell and vitamin E and vitamin B2 drops mixtogether into a mash by adding water to her food. She is now only on the B2 drops for her muscles and bones. A month ago she was doing the splits vertical and couldn't bring her legs together. Be patient it takes awhile. Around 2 weeks or three you can see the difference. Hope this helps.
I agree, I'd get Vitamin E and B-Complex into the chick. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. B-Complex has both B2 (Riboflavin) and B1(Thiamine). B2 offers leg support, B1 offers support to E...

While PND (Poultry Nutri-Drench) is great for quick uptake to weak chicks, it does not contain B2.
I like Poultry Cell, but it only has 50IU Vitamin E per ounce so...
Giving the separate vitamins is usually best.

Glad your chick is doing so well @realsis

Back
Top Bottom