Nooooo! They're all staying together. I am not separating anyone anymore if I can help it. That's what causes me more work. I want one big mixed flock. And this is my last flock , most likely. I may be able to add a couple of Brahma pullets, if Bonnie's new brood has some. There were three chicks already dancing in the air cells this afternoon so I expect one or two may hatch tomorrow. I would rather rehome a male if I had to, though I don't imagine that Forrest will be breeding these girls much. Can't imagine he'll really be able.

Fixed that little "heathens roosting in nests" issue with this crew...dismantled the nest! Came apart like a jigsaw puzzle, pieces intact and stored away until a later date when the young ladies are closer to producing.
DSC07421.JPG

Problem. Layla, my Gypsy lookalike, has somehow injured her left leg. She's literally hopping. I hope she hasn't broken it. WHY did it have to be her? WHY? Why not crazy nutcase Shelby? Why my very favorite of all the EE pullets? She is in the hospital cage getting extra protein, some beef liver and aspirin, but if it doesn't get better, we all know where that leads. DARN IT.

Can you use a popsicle stick cut to size, and vet wrap to help?
If I think she's broken it, maybe. I had her in the hospital cage all night and all day up until a few minutes ago when I took her out alone to see how she was walking. She has a limp, but it seems a bit better. So as not to go back on any progress she made, I put her back in the cage. She has eggs with collagen powder, turmeric, ginger, Vit E and a little aspirin in it. Could be she just needs to rest more. Those EE pullets are the craziest flying things, always jumping and running, much more than the Cochins. I sure want Layla to recover. I really like her. I can't lose my Gypsy-lookalike girl. :fl

Tonight, Layla is back with her peeps. When I took her out of the hospital cage, you could barely tell she was favoring her leg. Anyone not knowing she had been wouldn't have noticed it. So she's back and hopefully, she will get to stay. Whew, I was very scared for her. She was in there for three days, I think.

Back
Top Bottom