Update: crop surgery with graphic photos

The shell-less eggs would be a worry to me as it can be a sign of reproductive issues or infections. My first line go-to for that sort of thing is a warm epsom salt bath. It helps by relaxing the muscles and reducing swelling. A decent soak where they are covered at least up to their vent really helps with discomfort. Sometimes, this can be enough to help them get on top of infections and can clear a bound egg. Make sure to thoroughly dry after with a blow-dryer on low or towel.
With the runny fecals, have there been any signs of puss? It would look similar to cottage cheese in early stages of infection and become more solid in advanced infections. You can look up lash eggs or salpingitis for reference.
Another thing that could possibly be the issue is internal parasites; a fecal float is a routine veterinary check that can be done even at a cat and dog clinic.
With the crop, 'empty in the morning' 'full at night' is the general rule. No smell is a good sign.
Do be sure to check her abdomen as micstrachan mentioned. Use your healthy girl as reference if you need to. You may find she reacts by bracing and squatting when you do this and that can point to a bound egg.
Poor thing I hope she feels better soon
Thanks me too

The shell-less eggs would be a worry to me as it can be a sign of reproductive issues or infections. My first line go-to for that sort of thing is a warm epsom salt bath. It helps by relaxing the muscles and reducing swelling. A decent soak where they are covered at least up to their vent really helps with discomfort. Sometimes, this can be enough to help them get on top of infections and can clear a bound egg. Make sure to thoroughly dry after with a blow-dryer on low or towel.
With the runny fecals, have there been any signs of puss? It would look similar to cottage cheese in early stages of infection and become more solid in advanced infections. You can look up lash eggs or salpingitis for reference.
Another thing that could possibly be the issue is internal parasites; a fecal float is a routine veterinary check that can be done even at a cat and dog clinic.
With the crop, 'empty in the morning' 'full at night' is the general rule. No smell is a good sign.
Do be sure to check her abdomen as micstrachan mentioned. Use your healthy girl as reference if you need to. You may find she reacts by bracing and squatting when you do this and that can point to a bound egg.
I checked her vent very good and with a sterile glove felt I slide about 2 inches, I couldn’t feel anything. I haven’t noticed any pushing or squatting. She does look somewhat hunched over I’m thinking because she feels so ill. I will try to get her fecal to a vet ASAP, and am waiting for her to have a poop so I can show you all. She is currently eating some organic kefir quite happily. It she is not herself. Her crop feels quite saggy

She has a couple little scabs on her comb
2040B334-4F5A-42A7-9A5D-59A9070C25DE.jpeg

I checked her vent very good and with a sterile glove felt I slide about 2 inches, I couldn’t feel anything. I haven’t noticed any pushing or squatting. She does look somewhat hunched over I’m thinking because she feels so ill. I will try to get her fecal to a vet ASAP, and am waiting for her to have a poop so I can show you all. She is currently eating some organic kefir quite happily. It she is not herself. Her crop feels quite saggy
If you're willing to rack up a vet bill, they can give her an enema at the clinic in order to get a fresh sample. I find this is generally their preference as well as they like to see the bird and the fresher the sample the better for the test. If there is an avian or exotics vet near you, that would be preferable, but I know that's not usually an option for most people.
Any 'hot spots' on her body? A chicken's normal temperature is 105-107f and a vet would normally use a rectal thermometer to check this.

Is she pumping her tail at all? Take a look at her vent; is it talking to you like she wants to expel something?

My gut feeling is a reproductive problem, based on the two shell less eggs, cessation in laying, weight loss and body language. The poop may be from lack of appetite. Can you also get a fecal float done? Can you check them in the coop at night for mites? Or are you keeping her in? Can you bring in her best friend, too, to keep her company? That might pique her appetite.

The two “weird” eggs... were they solid or just regular liquid egg material with a membrane? Do you know if they broke before she got them out? Raw egg in the reproductive tract can cause salpingitis. If she were mine, I’d seriously consider hitting her hard with enrofloxacin. Is an avian vet an option for you?

Is she pumping her tail at all? Take a look at her vent; is it talking to you like she wants to expel something?

My gut feeling is a reproductive problem, based on the two shell less eggs, cessation in laying, weight loss and body language. The poop may be from lack of appetite. Can you also get a fecal float done? Can you check them in the coop at night for mites? Or are you keeping her in? Can you bring in her best friend, too, to keep her company? That might pique her appetite.

The two “weird” eggs... were they solid or just regular liquid egg material with a membrane? Do you know if they broke before she got them out? Raw egg in the reproductive tract can cause salpingitis. If she were mine, I’d seriously consider hitting her hard with enrofloxacin. Is an avian vet an option for you?

The two weird eggs, were like half the size of her regular egg so I guess therefore not ready to be laid. I kick myself now for not paying more attention to them I assumed she must have been spooked in the night and "dropped them" like I had read. Im pretty sure they looked quite bloody inside, they were intact but just the membrane. I don't notice any tail pumping, when I look at her vent it does seem to be moving quite a bit I wish I could post a video. So my dog and cat vet will look at the poop for me, we have an exotic vet near by but they have been awful I have brought my chickens there before and they just start googling stuff. I have a friend who has had the same experience there.
As for the mites, I can't see any on her. Are mites more active during night? she just ate some tofu. I feel she would be more comfortable outside in her home, so unsure if I should keep her in or let her be in her house.

If you're willing to rack up a vet bill, they can give her an enema at the clinic in order to get a fresh sample. I find this is generally their preference as well as they like to see the bird and the fresher the sample the better for the test. If there is an avian or exotics vet near you, that would be preferable, but I know that's not usually an option for most people.
Any 'hot spots' on her body? A chicken's normal temperature is 105-107f and a vet would normally use a rectal thermometer to check this.

I just checked her temp and it was 106.7 so I guess that is normal. Really hoping we can figure it out. thank you everyone!

@micstrachan @azygous @Lizzy733 The more I look at her and think about her behaviour the more I wonder about pendulous crop? Her crop seems big saggy loose and low to me. I notice her drinking quite a lot, if she has pendulous crop would it be possible that any food she eats has a hard time travelling from the crop down to the gizzard etc? I have no experience at all with crop issues as no one has had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom