Vote - to cull or not to cull

So out of 21 people (if I am correct) we have 20 for culling and 1 for not culling.

Its sad, but perhaps not worth the risk.
I could see trying to work with him if there weren't small children around, but I can't imagine them being able to do what the article referenced for training suggested. They could hold him down or show dominance with our help, but then what about when we aren't around or if they are playing. We don't have the infrastructure at the moment to keep him confined. What a waste, he is such a beautiful bird.
Would you like me to start an actual poll for you?

Can't you find someone that will take him? A farm, maybe? I think you should just give him a chance; culling him just because he is doing what many roosters do is not fair in my opinion. Every rooster should have a chance at life :(

Can't you find someone that will take him? A farm, maybe? I think you should just give him a chance; culling him just because he is doing what many roosters do is not fair in my opinion. Every rooster should have a chance at life :(

They have very small children. The birds free range.

Not worth the risk.

OP has too many cockerels/roosters already. Some will have to go. Removing the troublemaker and keeping some of the ones that behave better sounds to me like it is as "fair" as any solution could be in this case. Keeping the troublemaker and butchering the nice ones is what I might consider "not fair."

As for a "chance at life"-- he had it. He's had quite a few months of good life, and will probably get a fast humane end. For any animal, wild or domestic, that's pretty good.

Reminder of other male chickens OP has:
I still have another 6 cockerels to decide what to do with.
We also have an American Game Cock that came with the land, who is very respectful of us and keeps a distance only focusing on his girls....We still have many Favorelle roosters that I have been watching and one particular one that is quite the gentleman.

I have a 4 month old white face Spanish/black copper maran cockerel who has started going after our children and adult land partners. I hatched him, so he hasn't ever come after me. He stalks them, does his wing dance and then tries to peck them. His spurs are still small and dull. He is good with the hens and has gained his own little flock. He finds them food, protects them and does his roosterly duties.

We have a 1 year old who he runs from and has never challenged, a 4 year old, 5 year old, a 6 year old who are afraid of him. We also have a 13 year old with special needs who is not afraid, but has been chased. Just today, he faced off with 7 year old, she kept trying to kick him away, but he didn't back down, so I grabbed him and put him in an isolation cage. Then I had the children feed him and talk nicely to him. Not even an hour later he went after the 5 year old and his mom.

Cull or not to cull?
When it comes to children I would not want to take the risk.

Which isn't a factor in factory farming. If they don't have a W chromosome, they're killed as chicks right off the bat
Exactly!Throwing backyard chicken keepers in the same category as factory farmers is kinda brutal. I keep my cockerels and layers behind an electric fence so "everyone's" safe.

They have very small children
I understand, the children should absolutely come first.
OP has too many cockerels/roosters already. Some will have to go. Removing the troublemaker and keeping some of the ones that behave better sounds to me like it is as "fair" as any solution could be in this case. Keeping the troublemaker and butchering the nice ones is what I might consider "not fair."

As for a "chance at life"-- he had it. He's had quite a few months of good life, and will probably get a fast humane end. For any animal, wild or domestic, that's pretty good.
I didn't see how many other roos you have; I get that it would be hard to re-home all of them, but I still think you should at least try to find him a home. He is a beautiful boy.

Back
Top Bottom