What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
Or these:
IMG_20240411_185551609~2.jpg

IMG_20240418_165604306~2.jpg

IMG_20240504_201416271~2.jpg

Martha's a good momma.

Hi, first time chicken owner, I’ve got 4 red sex link pullets, and 4 chicks.
Is there a chicken breed underground that I’m unaware of? Like the Free Masons of chickens??
Before I decided to get chickens, I read EVERYTHING I could about them. And yall chicken ppl blow my mind with ALL the breeds and knowledge about them. Not just in this community. I went to the feed store just to buy another feeder. Ol man comes over “oh you got some me chickens huh. Well you need some bebop’s and floofloos, and maybe cross you some yummytums and plickados”. At one point I don’t think he was speaking English anymore. “What kind of chickens you got”? I was dumbfounded I said “mine are red”. I felt so.. ignorant. Seriously where/how do y'all learn about all these breeds? And why is it important? I feel like I’m missing something here. I want to be in the chicken know!
I know nearly nothing about breed specifics but the podcast coffee with the chicken ladies has taught me lots over the last couple years.

I am not exaggerating. They are all mad I tell you. Certifiably crazy!
Martha was calm around me, only pecking my hand lightly when I was checking her eggs. She became aggressive towards the other hens once the chicks hatched.

Tamar is noisier, but doesn't peck me if I reach underneath her.

Rahab went broody yesterday, is sitting on faux eggs. She gave me a good peck last night in the dark when I wanted to check under her.

I've got two broodies currently out of seven hens...peer pressure?
:rolleyes:
🙂 I thought my broody from last year was going to take also. That's her in there with Joannie. The other 2 are stalking because of course the other 2 nest boxes are not the flavor of the day.
But I've got at least 2 others (it's hard to keep track) that are cluck cluck cluckin' round the yard.
IMG_20240506_181052.jpg
IMG_20240506_151644.jpg

Back
Top Bottom