Wood stoves

TransplantedTexan

Songster
12 Years
Jul 9, 2007
Bear Creek, Wi
Earlier I posted in the topic of "The Waltons or Little House on the Prarie." In the post some one made reference to their cast Iron stove, and I posted a pic of mine and requested they do the same. After going out side and having a smoke, I realized that I kinda hijacked that post.
So, I am starting this thread, and wonder if everyone with old wood stoves would like to post pics of theirs, and maybe discuss how they feel it adds to their household. Either aesthetically or practically.
Mine can be seen on the Waltons post I referenced before.
http://backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18891

I don't have one but I love them. I actually even like the wet wood stink after a rainy day and the humidty stinks up the wood stove and the pipes.

I could have had one for free but my DH didn't want to "take it" from the woman that offered it. Plus IDK if my doublewide can hold one.

When I sell my property and buy my 20+ acres I'm definately getting one.

My wood stove is not old, it is a modern efficient Quadrafire. This will be the fourth year my DH and I have not even lit the pilot light on the propane furnace! They thin the forests around here for fire control and there is a lot of firewood easy to get with cheep permits. I take my wood stove seriously, I get up during the nights to feed it when necessary, clean it myself and really appreciate it. I often cook on it as well during the winter. We have saved many many hundreds of dollars by using it, and the other one I have in my art studio (no furnace use there also) and the small on in DH's shop building. We bought the house stove used in the middle of summer when demand and prices are low. It isn't affected by power outages either! We have a fan sitting on the studio stove that is driven by the heat differential, no power needed. If anyone has questions about really using a wood stove for heating a house I would be happy to help if I can.

Misc.jpg

Southern....Next time just take and store it in the barn. Those old stoves are great. Mine is old and it has blowers on it. It will heat the whole house and run us out because it gets sooooo warm. We live in a log home and the front room is open beam. So we also have about 10 feet of black pipe going up.....Love it
Tink
ps I would do the picture thing but dont know how.....plus I would have to find my camera first!!!

This is a great post. I was going to add another post about stoves so I am so glad you did.

Our house is 98 years old and the wood heat is far more efficient than the fuel oil heat. We couldn't afford the fuel oil to heat this house. We would go broke trying.

We have 2 wood burning stoves.

One is a Quadra fire 4100i fireplace insert. It is in the livingroom and we use it every day in the cooler months to heat the main room of our house. Ignore the dog. She lives in that spot from the first time we start up in the late fall until I shut it down in the spring.

dogslife.jpg

The second stove is a Fischer baby bear. It is in my kitchen. The back addition to the house doesn't have heating and the wood stove is required. This stove will run you out of the house when it gets to going. It took me the first winter to learn to regulate it so that the heat was constant and not a boiling rage. I cook on this one in the late fall right through until we stop using it in early spring. I figure why waste the energy to run my oven and stove top when I already have dual purpose energy at my finger tips.

griddle.jpg

I have learned to cook many things on this stove and I love it. The above photo is of my kids most favorite winter pancakes - pumpkin. They are like eating great pumpkin pie. They are so good for the fall season. I'll have to share the recipe.

I don't think any thing can match the heat of wood. When you are chilled to the bone it is wood heat that soaks in and warms you up.

Having come from Ga to Va I tell you the first year we almost froze to death up here. My husband makes fun of me all the time but he has always lived here and he doesn't comprehend the adjustments our bodies had to make to come from there to a land of snow and ice and freezing cold weather.

If you get a chance to have a woodstove don't pass it up. Also take precautions and have your chimneys and stove pipes inspected and cleaned at least once a year by a licensed chimney sweep. I had both of mine done last week.

Southern - you should have taken the stove! They don't go bad you could have saved it for later when you have your 20 acre farm.

Last edited:
Nice responses.
This is the first house I have had with one. The lower level is heated by fuel oil, but we run it as little as possible.
The wood stove is the sole heat for the upstairs. The house is 75 plus years old. Don't know exactly how old. It heats the upstairs well, with no fan, just rising heat through the vent located directly above the stove. It will roast you out of the lower level, if you don't dampen it right.
Nothing like having coffee on a cold morning at the table by the stove.
Mine is an - Ohio Stove Co. No.4 " Art Buckeye" model
I am missing the swing cover/urn. I have looked all over the net, and Wisc. to no avail.
Keep em coming.

We have a modern wood stove in our basement with a magic heater in the stove pipe to supplement our heat pump. It warms the living area (which is a 2 story vault) and even heats the hardwood floors.

I personally HATE it. I am a city girl married to a country boy. I prefer to just adjust a thermostat. I've had to learn to use a chainsaw and cut wood, haul it around, stack it everywhere. Just a big waste of energy IMHO. When we move to Indiana, I've put my foot down. Gas furnace PERIOD. He can add a pellet stove with a hopper later if he wants, but I am no longer going to be involved!

We put in a soapstone stove by Hearthstone when we bought our place in 2002. LOVE IT! I like direct heat. The stone holds heat and radiates it into the room long after the fire has gone out. It will burn on a full load for over 8-10 hours and then radiate hours after that. Plus the stone if very attractive. We heat only with wood in the winter, even though we have a heatpump, and cut wood from our property. Here is the stove:
DCP_0958b.jpg

In my earlier post when we I was talking about my grandmothers ood stove, I was actually referrring to a wood burning cook stove not a wood burning stove. It was about 4 feet long and 5 ft tall. It had 6 different eyes, an oven and two warming boxes above it. I t is massive and a really cool piece of history. If I ever get it rescued, I will post pics. She used it in the 70's - 80's and it was ancient before that.

Back
Top Bottom