The Waltons or Little House On The Prairie?

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
I am a fan of both. I watch them more during the winter especially on those cold gray days when the fire is crackling and soup is simmering on the woodstove. I have a few seasons of both shows on DVD and can watch at will.

I grew up very much like the early Walton episodes. My grandparents were a big part of my childhood.

When my oldest daughter was much younger (she is 20 yrs old now!) we cooked most of the Little House recipes and read all of the books. Farmer Boy is my favorite.

I have always loved to sew, crochet, do crafts, cook, garden, raise chickens, turkeys, etc. and see how much of what we want and need that I can craft myself. I even test myself in the winter and practice on just what I can cook to perfection on the wood stove. I have to say I am getting fairly good at it. I want a big cast iron dutch oven on legs with a lipped lid to see if I can bake bread in coals.

I am hoping next spring will bring the ability to set up beehives. Chickens and eggs, goats and milk, bees and honey - it all goes hand in hand in my mind.

I have been collecting black walnuts and laying them out to dry as they fall from our trees. I always had pecans in Ga. so these are new to me. I think this year I will make Olivia Walton's applesauce cake from the Walton's original Christmas movie if I can dry the nuts and they actually have good meats in them. I have made it before but I had to use english walnuts from the store.

What about you? Which show do you prefer?

Are you a do-it-yourself kind of person? Do you test yourself with what skills you are able to develop? What about crafting? Do you have a specialty other than chickens?

Now that I am grown (32) and have a 2 year old of my own I really never get to watch tv, but when I was younger I watched Little House EVERY day and had every episode taped. I long for those old simpler days. My grandparents were a big part of my life too. That's where I learned to cook, put up vegetables and such. I am the only person I know that has a large clothes line and uses is every week. All the old folks around here think it is neat that me and hubby have a garden every year, raise animals and stuff like that because people our age just don't do stuff like that anymore. Of course it is a lot of work, but in the end it is usually worth it. I am wanting to become fully self sufficient around here. Raise our own meat, solar panels on the house etc.. All that costs money and we have to do what we can as we can. I am in the process of trying to get my grandmothers wood stove from one of my cousins that is just letting it rust, because I remember all those weekends even when it was 100 degrees that she cooked biscuits and pancakes on that old stove. They did not even have a range, that is what she used everyday. AND they did not have ANY air conditioning in their 3 story house!!!!!

I'm watching little house right now!!!!!! I LOVE LITTLE HOUSE!!!!! Other teenagers make fun of me for watching it. I mean I'm a christain girl/teenager and I don't watch those stupid shows that other teens watch!!!!!!! I love to curl up in a blanket and either watch Little house or read a book.

I love The Waltons ! I have 5 seasons on DVD and watch them over & over. I wouldn't want to go through those hard of times but I wish families were that close again and we all lived at a slower pace. I wish I had about 25-50 acres and could raise all the animals I want but I couldn't bring myself to butcher any of them!

Kelly

Little House on the Prairie! My family watched every episode when I was a little girl. I also read the whole series of books. I even wore my hair in two long, brown braids...just like Laura!

Quote:
I even test myself in the winter and practice on just what I can cook to perfection on the wood stove. I have to say I am getting fairly good at it. I want a big cast iron dutch oven on legs with a lipped lid to see if I can bake bread in coals.

Living in Wisconsin it's hard not to feel like Little House on the Prarie. As for show's I more remember watching The Waltons, and wishing my life was like that. I grew up in a large city, Dallas. I wanted the atmosphere of the Waltons town. The two quotes above I relate to. My kids thought I was crazy trying to cook things on my wood stove, until the power went out late winter/early spring this past year. It was out for two days. If not for my wood stove, we would have had no heat, and no hot food. All of a sudden I was no longer crazy.
Miss Prissy, do you have a pic of your wood stove? I would love to see it.
Here is mine.
8.jpg

I just wanted to say sorry for hijacking the thread.
I started a new thread, to address the topic of stoves.
http://backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18904

Last edited:
I'm only 24...well 25 on Saturday but I do remember watching both of those shows when I was a kid. I remember the one lil girl on Little House that is now on Lifetime movies and I remember "Goodnight John Boy" from the Waltons. Oh and the John Boy guy is in some Lifetime movies too.

Gosh... can I vote for the Andy Griffith Show? I always wanted to both have an Aunt Bee, or to be one... and to have Sherriff Taylor for a father as well as to be just like him.

I like to do craft-y things: knit, crochet, sew, bead, make candles, make soap, cook from scratch, garden, etc... but I also like to hunt, fish, brew beer, throw atlatl and do more sort-of outdoorsy things.

The only problem poor Aunt Bee had in the domestic arts area was that she couldn't make a good pickle. As I recall, hers were said to have tasted like kerosene, ew.
big_smile.png

As to the old shows, I think I preferred LH to the Waltons, but I prefer Gunsmoke to either one. However, I don't really aim to be much like Festus, Miss Kitty or anyone else on that show, so far as I can tell...

tongue.png

I liked both shows, but I guess Little House more so. What was the name of the little blonde brat that always gave the girls a hard time? I had a neighbor that was just like her! Ooohh I used to pretend when I watched LH that the blonde brat was my neighbor whenever she got what she deserved!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom