chicken pop door winter question

usalbrechts

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
south east MI
I was wondering today.... I live in Michigan....should I put some kind of plastic or something over my chicken's door, something that they could still get out through, to keep out the cold air. Or, does everyone just let that be and not worry because it is a small door?? Thanks for your thoughts

Excellent question. I'm in Michigan too, and this will be my chickens' first winter.

I am planning to keep the door closed all day when it's really cold, and open it on the warmer days. But I am building a 100 square foot coop, so they will have plenty of room since I currently only have 6 chickens.

Michigan here too. I saw something interesting at a farm that I might use. A piece of burlap on each side of the door overlapping the door a little, but not completley covering it in the middle. The chickens seemed to know they could get through. just a thought. I figured it would help on windy days to keep the snow and wind out a little.
hmm.png

Well, I am not in MI but ME.... tough winters here as well. Here's our exterior run (the actual henhouse part is inside the garage; pop-hole through the read wall). It is covered and pretty sheltered so I am hoping it won't get too much snow in it this winter!

construction4.jpg

wholecoop.jpg

Quote:
DH just cut a 12" x 12" hole in the barn and I used hinges and a lock on the piece that came from the hole. The door could have been a little smaller I realize now, but the chickens weren't full grown when we cut it and I didn't know how big they'd get
hmm.png

Quote:
DH just cut a 12" x 12" hole in the barn and I used hinges and a lock on the piece that came from the hole. The door could have been a little smaller I realize now, but the chickens weren't full grown when we cut it and I didn't know how big they'd get
hmm.png

So you go into the run every night and shut the door?
I was thinking of hooking up some kind of rope and pully to open and close the door from outside the run.

Well ours is a strange set up. I access the coop from inside the barn and access the run from inside the coop. The pophole is cut in the coop/run door. So yes i have to go in the coop to close the door to the run, but i like to say goodnight to the girls on the roost anyways. I'm itching to get one of those automatic door closer/openers for when we are gone or busy.

wink.png

Our pophole will remain open unless it gets really cold like 5-10 degrees. We are closing up all of our windows in the coop though. Our coop is 1/2 plywood with metal siding over it and has ventilation only at the top under the roof when the windows are closed.

Back
Top Bottom