chicken pop door winter question

I'm from MI, too - we put strips of plastic over the pop door, about 3" wide, and overlapping 3/4". They push right through it without issue. I got the plastic at Home Depot - bought a foot of clear carpet runner stuff in the carpet aisle (not the stuff with the little spikes on the back, though - this is smooth, both sides). It works great, and I'm hoping to be able to leave the door open during the day, and shut at night.

I got some stuff from Walmart, it's sold for lining drawers and shelves in the kitchen-stuff aisle of the store.... it is clear (or should I say translucent) ribbed plastic, much more flexible than carpet runner protector. It seems EXACTLY the right weight to use for wide overlapping strips to let chickens thru but keep wind/snow mostly out. Haven't actually tested it yet (tho it is snowing lightly right now!) but you might try it out.

Pat

Ooooo the plastic stuff sounds like a good idea. It sounds stronger than the burlap and more coverage. The fact that it's clear is better too. Thanks for the idea
wink.png

I tried the plastic strips on my door and I reckon I have really stupid ckickens cause they would not go threw it.

I looked in the coop window and they were all standing at the door watching it move with the wind. And they were panting cause their water bowl was in the pen.

I went in the pen and ripped the plastic off and was run over by chickens come out of there trying to get to the water.

It was rather funny.

I know that with other livestock, and I'd bet it's the same with chickens, you have to get them gradually used to using a door made of flexible flaps of <whatever>. You don't hang it all up all at once, you just put part of it up so there is a gap the animals can go past the flap strip. As time goes by the animals figure out the flap is moveable. Then you can hang another one, but still leave a gap. Etcetera, until eventually you've got the whole finished door assembly up.

I've also heard of people pinning one corner back, far back at first to make a very large triangular hole and then gradually less so as the animals get used to pushing their way thru.

Pat

Thanks for all the great ideas!! I think I will go with adding plastic strips gradually in. It seem like a great way to keep out snow and such. We did have some here yesterday too. I'm not too happy about that!!!

seachick that's beautiful! We did the same thing except we don't have a roof yet because we're not sure how to incorporate the tall "people" door and I was worried about a flat roof with all the snow we get here. Your design is just the thing!

Usalbrechts, where are you located? I'm just outside of Flint, in Davison. Krisrose is my neighbor. We had a fellow chicken lover from Burton come visit last night. Was good meeting another chicken lover so close by!

Back
Top Bottom