chicken pop door winter question

Quote:
I've seen the thick clear plastic stuff used for winterizing on a site somewhere. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

I have also had the auto door on my wish list for quite sometime.
Everyone that I've talked to that has them just loves them.

I'm about to do that with some vinyl tablecloth material. It isn't thick, but you could hotglue two pieces back to back then cut strips almost all the way up, leaving an intact piece at the top to use to tack it to the top of the doorway on the inside. It may help somewhat with air intrusion or cut the amt of wind that whistles through the pop door. At least I hope it will.

Jemjoop- The roof is made of this awsome clear platic corrugated stuff called SunTuf. It was pretty cheap (about the same as metal roofing from Home Depot), easy to install, and lets the light through, which we need in that shady spot. I have to call about 15 lumber/building supply places to find someone who could order it. Everyone else had REALLY expensive stuff. I think it was like $90 to roof that space, aprox 12 x 8 of roofing. Metal roofing from Home Depot would work, too.

I think I will try the pop-hole plastic, too. I need to keep CHIPMUNKS out as well as the cold! Today I saw one coming out the pop-hole door! He had been stealing food. Then he was stuck in the run with me and the chickens and they started chasing him. It was pretty funny, but I would like to keep them out just the same!

Thanks for the good ideas here.

Stacey

Quote:
Seachick, I love your coop. I remember you posting it when you were building it. I wish mine could have been attached to my garage!! I like all the plants you have now put around it!!
smile.png

Quote:
Ha, ha.... thanks but you should see it now! I didn't know, when I did that, how much chickens LOOOOOOVE Hostas. Needless to say they are all bare stems now. I will have to think of something new in the spring. I planted lots of bulbs, too, but I betcha they will chow those as well. I noticed they don't like Obedient Plant- may transplant some of that there.... but thanks! It IS nice out there. I was just thinking, today, that I'll bet I will finally start woring on the back garden next year just so I can hang out with the chickens more!

I was just thinking, today, that I'll bet I will finally start woring on the back garden next year just so I can hang out with the chickens more!

LOL that is funny! My parent's asked me and my DH what we wanted for Christmas this year. He said a new stainless steel bbque I told them I wanted a semi truck full of good gardneing soil and some landscaping boulders
big_smile.png
I have the same idea you have!​

Quote:
Ha, ha.... thanks but you should see it now! I didn't know, when I did that, how much chickens LOOOOOOVE Hostas. Needless to say they are all bare stems now. I will have to think of something new in the spring. I planted lots of bulbs, too, but I betcha they will chow those as well. I noticed they don't like Obedient Plant- may transplant some of that there.... but thanks! It IS nice out there. I was just thinking, today, that I'll bet I will finally start woring on the back garden next year just so I can hang out with the chickens more!

Hi, SeaChick, I also love your coop; You did a great job. Just a note about the plantings though - you wrote that you planted bulbs; are you aware that narcissus/daffodils are toxic? I don't know about the growing parts, but certainly the bulbs are, and I would assume the rest is as well.

--Chickflic--
I am in Pinckney. pretty much NW of AnnArbor and a hop skip and a jump away from Hell. I don't think Davison is too far from here (but I can't be sure on that). Nice to hear from another Michigander.
frow.gif

Quote:
We have burlap flaps covering the nesting boxes, and so far they haven't picked at them. I pinned the burlap back for the first week or so after they started laying, but now it hangs over the boxes, and the chickens have no problem getting past it into the box.

Our coop has 2 sides that are metal and 2 sides that have chicken fencing. For the cold and windy days is there a suggestion for keeping the chickens comfortable. Only way they can get out during the day is when I go out and open their coop door.
Being in the Hill Country in Texas we don't get too many days in a row of cold. Just don't like thinking my 4 chickens will be cold!!!!

Back
Top Bottom