➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Yes, first time. I ran the incubator for several hours, tweaking the calibration to get the two thermometers I have inside to show the right temperature and hold it. I have a variety pack of colors, regular coturnix. These are my own eggs from hens that are about 3 months old. The one thing I know I didn't do as recommended was letting them sit in the cold. I don't have a good way to keep them cool before setting, so I just dumped two days worth of eggs straight in. 10 sat pointy end down at room temperature for a day, and the other 10 were set the evening they were laid with only a few hours of resting pointy end down. I'm hoping at least half hatch. Quail turn around so fast, and I'm getting 10 eggs a day, so if this hatch doesn't work out, I'll be bummed but not crushed, and I'll just make adjustments and try again.
Congratulations and it's going to be fun.

May I ask where you are running the humidity? Got your brooder setup?

In the swamps, I do dry incubation (no added water) but the humidity reads 30-35%. At lock down, I add a jar of water to target 40-50% humidity. The trays are too much area and the humidity rises about 50%. The jar is a larger reservoir and smaller surface area. Working well for me.

@RUNuts, I'm running the incubator in a bathroom the A/C doesn't reach, so it stays warmer and more humid anyway, but right now one hygrometer says 37% and the other says 36%. I figured that would be okay until lockdown, when I'll add some water. Should I try to get it lower? We have everything we need for the brooder, but will set it up closer to lockdown. It'll live in the bath tub of the bathroom they're incubating in. We did that with the last batch of chicks. It's the only room in our house that we can 100% keep the cats out of.

This is easy explained... chicken eggs have ca. 60% egg white and 40% yolk, quail eggs are the other way round, 60% yolk and 40% egg white.

This makes 'em richer and more creamy :drool
👍
That makes so much sense!!! Thanks!! :)
Do you mean best boiled or any recipe?
Any recipe I guess! :D but also cooking for eating. Both? Like.. are they even good for just eating?

That makes so much sense!!! Thanks!! :)

Any recipe I guess! :D but also cooking for eating. Both? Like.. are they even good for just eating?

I love them boiled as breakfast eggs... just boil water and then take the water off the heat and put the eggs in for 3 mins. This is how I like it, just a little bit salt and pepper and a toast 😁

Also I love omlettes... mixed with cream and anything you like (my favorite is ham and chive)

I do all stuff with them, which you do with chicken eggs ... just calculate 6 quail eggs for 1 chicken egg 👍

Back
Top Bottom