➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I found a sluggish fly on the floor this morning. I think one of my cats had been playing with it. I threw it in with the chicks, and it was so fun watching a chick grab it, then run away from all of the other chicks who wanted it too.

Quail chicks are so cute. They're growing and getting their feathers!

So nice colors 😍

And yeah ... feed jealousy is from the first day 🤣

UMMMM.... how many eggs can quail lay a day!? Cause I collected 5 when I came out around 11 and then just now I found 4 more!? Yesterday I got 5 too. I am pretty sure I didn’t miss any yesterday??? I think I collected them later in the day so I doubt they laid more?? I only have 9 birds now and I was pretty positive 2-3 of them were male!? Can quail lay twice a day or!? What gives!? Not that that I’m complaining but I just wasn’t expecting 9 eggs in one day!? :eek:

UMMMM.... how many eggs can quail lay a day!? Cause I collected 5 when I came out around 11 and then just now I found 4 more!? Yesterday I got 5 too. I am pretty sure I didn’t miss any yesterday??? I think I collected them later in the day so I doubt they laid more?? I only have 9 birds now and I was pretty positive 2-3 of them were male!? Can quail lay twice a day or!? What gives!? Not that that I’m complaining but I just wasn’t expecting 9 eggs in one day!? :eek:
Occasionally a quail has been known to lay 2 in a day.....it freaks everyone out.... no worries.... just keep an eye on your numbers and watch for aggression from males

No bird can produce 2 eggs in one day! It appears that they have layed 2 because they delayed laying one of the eggs...stress is the main factor in them delaying.
It takes between 23 to 26 hours for one ovum to go through the reproductive tract.
I had several melanistic pheasants do this on a daily basis during breeding season. I have had quail do it too! ....just not as regularly.
It's the reason you'll get an 'egg inside and egg' sometimes and double yolks.

Can you go get pictures of everybody?

No bird can produce 2 eggs in one day! It appears that they have layed 2 because they delayed laying one of the eggs...stress is the main factor in them delaying.
It takes between 23 to 26 hours for one ovum to go through the reproductive tract.
I had several melanistic pheasants do this on a daily basis during breeding season. I have had quail do it too! ....just not as regularly.
It's the reason you'll get an 'egg inside and egg' sometimes and double yolks.
Huh, interesting! Thanks! Do you think the males are stressing them out? No one seems to be fighting anymore since I offed 9 birds a couple weeks ago. And only one male seems to be mating.

Huh, interesting! Thanks! Do you think the males are stressing them out? No one seems to be fighting anymore since I offed 9 birds a couple weeks ago. And only one male seems to be mating.
Are they, the hens, missing feathers on the back of their heads...if so you may have an overly aggressive cock bird.

Back
Top Bottom