āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Oh I will cross my fingers for you for March Igor :fl

Well done quitting smoking. Not easy huh! I think I swapped cigs for sweet foods :drool not sure which is worse :confused:

No, it certainly isn't. I'm trying not to turn to food and can't come on here too much or I'll say things I normally wouldn't and absolutely shouldn't.

Thanks for the well wishes for our hatches over here!

No, it certainly isn't. I'm trying not to turn to food and can't come on here too much or I'll say things I normally wouldn't and absolutely shouldn't.

Thanks for the well wishes for our hatches over here!
It's ok IM, we can just blame it on lack of medication (nicotine) :lau

Try chewing matches. :gig

I quit smoking about 7 years ago and picked up dipping. I quit dipping last year and found chewing matches helps. You just need something to do to keep your mind off it. Good luck. :fl

Thank you! I'm thinking straws might help, hand to mouth habit you know? However, since I don't have straws but I do a big box of matches I just might try it today. You don't realize how much your routine includes those things until your routine changes. Crazy.

Thanks Kiki. I just read through.. dont think it's the same. Definitely no hyper running :idunno

Will try an electrolyte boost in water see how we go!

Edit - I read the thread again. I still don't think it's the same. Still possible it's a deficiency of some sort. I dont know:confused:

Its hard for me to know if it's of my own doing? I bought these eggs from the equivalent of craigslist, posted to me. I feel in some ways responsible, even though I don't want to be. Maybe I am tired :oops:
You are just tired.

It's hard to know. This is one reason I'm very picky about where and from whom I obtain my birds. I also keep records of where the birds came from and where that particular breeder got their birds from....yeah a lot of research and work but the results are I have few problems with my birds and haven't had any diseases in 30 years. Also a strong BIOSECURTY program goes a long way to having healthy birds.

This having been said, I think your probably experiencing a vitamin deficiency. Not just the chicks but it probably extends to the parent birds. I'm a strong believer in if the parent birds are getting a balance and complete nutritional feed, the stronger the chicks will be at hatching, less nutritional defects too! But it's hard to know for sure the birds bodies are utilizing the nutritional value of the feed, until a problem occurs. Some bird's bodies, digestive systems don't develop correctly, thus, when they begin to breed, it will lead to poor survivalbility of their offspring.

I learn this a long time ago. Back in the day it was hard to find high protein feed much less a complete and balanced feed. I had a lot of weak chicks hatching and defects that were not genetic in nature. After switching to higher protein feed those symptoms slowly began to disappear. Back then the highest protein I could get was 16%, I found another source that was 30% and things began to change...then I discovered that that was too much protein, started having digestive problems...it was 'burning them up'. Switched again to 24% protein and the problems went away again.

You really need to look at the analysis of the feed your purchasing, what's on the tag isn't necessarily what's actually in the bag. Most manufactures have a minimum and maximum percentage of protein and vitamins and minerals in their products. Due to operator or mechanical factors those min's and max's may not be accurate.

Sorry for such a long answer but it's not a short, concise question. Falling over, balance problems, walking backwards can be attributed to a Vitamin B deficiency as well as a folic acid deficiency in the hen and to a lesser extent Zinc deficiency.
Hope this helps and doesn't just 'muddy the waters' even more for you.
This is yet another reason why I can't order eggs yet.
I was looking at a new to me quail dealer...the pictures they have on their website of the cages are nasty to me. I can't order from them.

I quit smoking and been a little grumpy. Now I'm having sleep issues. I've been keeping an eye on things though.

Yes, it's crazy when you're looking for eggs! I don't want to do the shipping bit, you don't know the conditions the quail are kept in and just have to hope for the best.
I confirmed yesterday with a local quail keeper to pick up 4 dozen eggs at the beginning of March, then hatching chickens for the Easter HAL right after. We're going to have a LOT of babies. I hope.

I think your right about the issues. If you kept them around you'd likely see them laying around a lot and mobility will get worse as they get bigger. I culled early. Hated to do it but was for the best.
Cold turkey or with help?

It's hard to know. This is one reason I'm very picky about where and from whom I obtain my birds. I also keep records of where the birds came from and where that particular breeder got their birds from....yeah a lot of research and work but the results are I have few problems with my birds and haven't had any diseases in 30 years. Also a strong BIOSECURTY program goes a long way to having healthy birds.

This having been said, I think your probably experiencing a vitamin deficiency. Not just the chicks but it probably extends to the parent birds. I'm a strong believer in if the parent birds are getting a balance and complete nutritional feed, the stronger the chicks will be at hatching, less nutritional defects too! But it's hard to know for sure the birds bodies are utilizing the nutritional value of the feed, until a problem occurs. Some bird's bodies, digestive systems don't develop correctly, thus, when they begin to breed, it will lead to poor survivalbility of their offspring.

I learn this a long time ago. Back in the day it was hard to find high protein feed much less a complete and balanced feed. I had a lot of weak chicks hatching and defects that were not genetic in nature. After switching to higher protein feed those symptoms slowly began to disappear. Back then the highest protein I could get was 16%, I found another source that was 30% and things began to change...then I discovered that that was too much protein, started having digestive problems...it was 'burning them up'. Switched again to 24% protein and the problems went away again.

You really need to look at the analysis of the feed your purchasing, what's on the tag isn't necessarily what's actually in the bag. Most manufactures have a minimum and maximum percentage of protein and vitamins and minerals in their products. Due to operator or mechanical factors those min's and max's may not be accurate.

Sorry for such a long answer but it's not a short, concise question. Falling over, balance problems, walking backwards can be attributed to a Vitamin B deficiency as well as a folic acid deficiency in the hen and to a lesser extent Zinc deficiency.
Hope this helps and doesn't just 'muddy the waters' even more for you.
:goodpost::goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom